RTL8723bu on Chuwi Herobook, Realtek wifi Bluetooth driver?

Hi manjaro friends I 'm a newbie and completely a beginner in manjaro, but i had a similar problem in ubuntu so i wanted to try this distribution
Manjaro 19.02 gnome

I didn't find a solution in this forum at lest for my chuwi laptop

Problem is realtek rtl8723bu Bluetooth and wifi built in laptop card
I know this is a common problem in linux this adapter works really bad in Ubuntu and in Fedora and so it was in Manjaro until I did the magic command (using my phone with USB tethering)

Pacman -Syu

Magically, after updating, it solved connection problem (before u could see wifi but not connecting) and Bluetooth (thisis the only distro that makes it work at least as windows 10)
But problem remains:

_if u intentionally disconnect it won't connect again until reboot
_wifi frequently disconnect and reconnect making u lose for example communications or downloads

How can I solve?

THANKS

A workaround, not a fix:

1 Like

Really thanks for your fast answer, as soon as I can I'll try and make u know it it works, effectively this is what I was searching for something who reminds wifi to stay alive

When u say

U mean I have to go in that folder and create the text file? Is there any specific command to do it?

Sorry for my weak Linux knowledge

You can use any text editor that can save docs as root.

In terminal you can use:

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/network-restart.service

Or you can simply use whatever your default GUI text editor is in Gnome, as long as it can save docs with root permissions.

1 Like

Install the rtl8723bu module for your kernel

~ >>> mhwd-kernel -li                                                           
Currently running: 5.5.18-1-MANJARO (linux55)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux55

E.g. for kernel 5.5

sudo pacman -Syu linux55-rtl8723bu
3 Likes

ok let´s try the shorter aarhus method, my kernel is 54, here is what happens:

[fede@fede-herobook ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu linux54-rtl8723bu
[sudo] password di fede: 
:: Sincronizzazione dei database in corso...
 core è aggiornato
errore: impossibile scaricare il pacchetto 'extra.db' da repo.manjaro.org.uk : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
 extra                2016,3 KiB  69,3 KiB/s 00:29 [######################] 100%
 community è aggiornato
 multilib è aggiornato
:: Aggiornamento del sistema in corso...
risoluzione delle dipendenze in corso...
ricerca dei pacchetti in conflitto in corso...

Pacchetti (2) lib32-nss-3.51.1-1  linux54-rtl8723bu-20200405-1

Dimensione totale dei pacchetti da installare:  17,84 MiB
Dimensione netta dell'aggiornamento:            14,91 MiB

:: Vuoi procedere con l'installazione? [S/n] s
(2/2) verifica delle chiavi presenti nel porta...  [######################] 100%
(2/2) verifica dell'integrità dei pacchetti        [######################] 100%
(2/2) caricamento dei file dei pacchetti           [######################] 100%
(2/2) controllo dei conflitti in corso             [######################] 100%
errore: impossibile eseguire l'operazione richiesta (file in conflitto)
lib32-nss: /usr/lib32/p11-kit-trust.so è già presente nel filesystem
Si sono verificati degli errori, nessun pacchetto è stato aggiornato.

so it says there are conflicts because that lib32 file is already installed so nothing will be updated
how can i go on?

ok i did

sudo rm /usr/lib32/p11-kit-trust.so

and then again

sudo pacman -Syu linux54-rtl8723bu

and until now it goes!! at least if i have to change net i have to gofirst in airplane mode and so switch on again, anyway signal doesn´t seem to fall

BUT

bluetooth headphones (PAMU SCROLL) stopped working in stereo mode they owrks only in mono in bluettoth manager they are showed as HSPHFP, before they worked really well in SINKA2DP now if i select it start sound from laptop

can u help me again?
THANKS

i solve a problem and another appear:(

ok now other tries, please forgive me i´m just a beginner:)
it seems that installing rtl8723bu from pacman doesn´t really solve the problem: wifi lasts a little bit longer and is faster in recatching the signal but anyway it drops, when u r using zoom or skype this means losing communication, no real difference with other no real time services as spotify. So this is what i did

• check my kernel it was 54, installing from pacman right module, little change but net still dropping
  • use the suggestion

THIS WORKS (THANKS TBG) for wifi, itś a service that starts at the beginnig of boot and it seems to last (I´ll go on with testing),anyway no stereo bluetooth:(

• try other solutions so downloaded a module that was indicated as last, now i ended with two kernels (54 and 55) and I hope this is not a problem:)
  • net ok but still mono bluetooth
  • removing blacklist from
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-rtl8xxxu.conf
  • I tought it was the way to set module as the original one, again good net but mono bluetooth
    so I ended with
[fede@fede-herobook ~]$ mhwd-kernel -li 
Currently running: 5.5.18-3-MANJARO (linux55)
   * linux54
   * linux55
[fede@fede-herobook ~]$ inxi -n
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek 802.11n WLAN Adapter type: USB driver: btusb,rtl8xxxu 
  IF: wlp0s20u5i2 state: up mac: ac:64:cf:05:52:c9 

no idea how to have again stereo bluetooth, with the joy of having a stable wifi

ok it seems we arrived to solution, at least I´ll go on testing
after different installing and unistalling,u were both right:

• with the script of TBG wifi stays up, sometimes it falls shortly but it´s working quite well
  • with driver for kernel 54 as suggested by AARHUS, connection is slower than windows 10 but almost good. There´s a way to improve speed? Thanks

This is what i have now and working quite well, and incredibly bluetooth earphones work in stereo mode!!

fede@fede-herobook ~]$ inxi -n
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek 802.11n WLAN Adapter type: USB driver: btusb,rtl8723bu 
  IF: wlp0s20u5i2 state: up mac: ac:64:cf:05:52:c9 
[fede@fede-herobook ~]$ mhwd-kernel -li 
Currently running: 5.4.34-1-MANJARO (linux54)
   * linux54

Thanks both for helping me, if u have more suggestion to improve net speed or stability i am here

this is the module that works

Schermata da 2020-04-22 21-45-41

Manjaro linux seems to be the only distro who makes this network/bluetooth card work (I´ve tried ubuntu and fedora)

LAST UPDATE IN MANJARO 20
After updating to Manjaro 20, it started to malfunction: it was not possible to reconnect after putting laptop to sleep or changing between different wifi.
Service didn't start anymore so I tried to follow again all the instructions but nothing.

Other solution: deleted all the file created, update to kernel 55, installed rtl8723bu dkms git founded on pacman, it worked again

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by