RTL8723DE - How to install Wifi driver

Wifi networks are not detected after installing manjaro i3, i am currently running kernel 4.19 is there any way to make the wifi work ?

2 Likes

First install the rtl8723de-dkms driver dependencies.

To install the driver dependencies:

sudo pacman -S git
sudo pacman -S dkms

Then install the linux headers:

The command below will automatically install the linux-headers for the currently running kernel:

sudo pacman -S linux$(uname -r| grep -o -E '[0-9]+' | head -n 2 | sed 'N;s/\n//')-headers

Install driver:

git clone https://github.com/smlinux/rtl8723de
sudo dkms add ./rtl8723de
sudo dkms autoinstall
sudo depmod -a

Reboot.

9 Likes

Thanks man that works like a charm!

1 Like

Glad to hear that.

Please mark the post with the solution with a check mark.

Alles muss man selber machen :wink:

You have to do everything yourself :wink:

Done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for marking the solve @sgs. I do not feel good about self-applying solves, so I appreciate it when others ensure the thread is closed out properly.

1 Like

It shows this error

[tarunv@tarun-pc Downloads]$ sudo dkms install rtl8723de/5.1.1.8_21285.20171026_COEX20170111-1414
Error! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 4.19.28-1-MANJARO cannot be found at
/usr/lib/modules/4.19.28-1-MANJARO/build or /usr/lib/modules/4.19.28-1-MANJARO/source.

You need to install the kernel headers before you install the dkms driver.

The command below will automatically install the linux-headers for the currently running kernel:

sudo pacman -S linux$(uname -r| grep -o -E '[0-9]+' | head -n 2 | sed 'N;s/\n//')-headers
1 Like

I already tried...

[tarunv@tarun-pc Downloads]$ sudo pacman -S linux$(uname -r| grep -o -E '[0-9]+' | head -n 2 | sed 'N;s/\n//')-headers
[sudo] password for tarunv: 
warning: linux419-headers-4.19.34-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) linux419-headers-4.19.34-1

Total Installed Size:  62.13 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                                 [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                                               [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                                                    [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                                              [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                                                                            [#######################################################################################] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Remove DKMS modules
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling linux419-headers                                                                                                            [#######################################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Install DKMS modules
==> Unable to install module rtl8723bu/233 for kernel 4.19.34-1-MANJARO: Missing kernel modules tree.
==> Unable to install module rtl8723de-5.1.1.8_21285.20171026_COEX20170111/1414 for kernel 4.19.34-1-MANJARO: Missing kernel modules tree.
(2/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
[tarunv@tarun-pc Downloads]$ git clone https://github.com/smlinux/rtl8723de.git -b 4.15-up
fatal: destination path 'rtl8723de' already exists and is not an empty directory.
[tarunv@tarun-pc Downloads]$ sudo dkms add ./rtl8723de
Error! DKMS tree already contains: rtl8723de-5.1.1.8_21285.20171026_COEX20170111-1414
You cannot add the same module/version combo more than once.
[tarunv@tarun-pc Downloads]$ sudo dkms install rtl8723de/5.1.1.8_21285.20171026_COEX20170111-1414
Error! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 4.19.28-1-MANJARO cannot be found at
/usr/lib/modules/4.19.28-1-MANJARO/build or /usr/lib/modules/4.19.28-1-MANJARO/source.
[tarunv@tarun-pc Downloads]$ 

Did you install a different driver version before attempting to install with the instructions I gave above.

Yes, I tried.
How can i restore to previous settings?

Well then you need to uninstall the driver you installed previously using the instructions from where you downloaded the driver.

1 Like

After executing sudo pacman -Syyu to update system ,wifi started working !!
btw thanks @tbg

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by