RX Vega 64

first of all im trying to escape the windows ecosystem. trying manjaro. installing went super easy. have it currently setup with dual boot w10.

but, everything seems super choppy or laggy everywhere. are there no drivers yet for the AMD RX Vega 64 for linux / manjaro ? im total noob at linux in general btw.

SOLVED: see post 2 and 8.

Vega needs the AMD display code, which unfortunately is not yet included upstream. (AMD is working hard on getting it upstream- the reason for upstream denial is HAL's in the code which take some time to replace)

For the time being, you will need to use the amd-staging kernel which includes the AMD display code.

To install the amd-staging-kernel, you have to simply ad

[mesa-git]
SigLevel = PackageOptional
Server = https://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/$repo/$arch

to your /etc/pacman.conf and do a sudo pacman -Syyu
After that you need to do sudo pacman -S linux-amd-staging linux-amd-staging-headers
After that, for failsafe purposes, do a sudo update-grub and reboot, in grub, chose the amd staging kernel

mesa and amdgpu already support Vega

5 Likes

oh ok thanks! will try this now. will report back when done.

so i did as instructed and chose the advanced thingy in grub and selected "staging" but now my resolution is fckd. it goes to max 1024x768 and i cant set it higher. anyway overall stuff seems smoother i think xD

can you post the output of inxi -Gx in here when you are booted with staging?

here

[martin@martin-pc ~]$ inxi -Gx
Resuming in non X mode: xrandr not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Vega [Radeon RX Vega]
           bus-ID: 28:00.0
           Display Server: N/A driver: vesa tty size: 80x24
[martin@martin-pc ~]$

do i need to install some drivers or something maybe?

your system still uses the vesa - driver.

You need to remove it:
sudo mhwd -r pci video-vesa

and install the amdgpu one:
sudo mhwd -i pci video-amdgpu

if the amdgpu command failes, just do a sudo pacman -S xf86-video-amdgpu instead

That should be everything that needs to be done, or? @anon35400795

2 Likes

jepp that did it! thanks alot.

1 Like

Yep. We just don't ship pciids for Vega, that's why mhwd will not set amdgpu by itself. Vega is still better than no xorg :wink:

hehe well, atleast i have 120hz working and 1440p resolution working. buuut gaming anything is a no go. tried csgo and getting 15fps in the menu. trying a offline game with bots never loads even XD in windows 10 i have pretty much a solid 299 fps always, which is a fps cap set by csgo.

think im missing something like a driver or something i dont know. like i said im total linux noob here.

ok i switched from xf86-video-amdgpu to xf86-video-amdgpu-git
went from 15 fps to pretty much to cap 299 fps. however game sometimes crashes. fps is good but feels like more is missing because of the random crashing.

rocket league works fine tho. 160-200 fps. no weird stuff. pretty much 100% stable it seems.

since rocket league works fine, checking file integrity on csgo. see if that helps. might not be a driver issue.
jepp steam found 1 missing file and reaquired it. testing more now.

seems to have solved my random csgo crashing now. missing game file was the cause.

3 Likes

I've got an RX Vega 56, and I've gotten as far as installing linux-amd-staging-headers, updating GRUB, and rebooting. However, when I restart, and go into Advanced Options for Manjaro, I only see two options: Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 4.9.51-1-MANJARO x64), and Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 4.9.51-1-MANJARO x64 - fallback initramfs). Are there any additional steps I could take to get the amd-staging kernel to appear as an option?

you did only half of the needed things:

sudo pacman -S linux-amd-staging linux-amd-staging-headers

You did not install the kernel, only the headers.

Also, a sudo update-grub is not a bad thing.

Edit: Looks like Kernel 4.15 finally includes AMD displaycode upstream: AMD hardware support in Manjaro

1 Like

Oh wow I'm blind, trying it out now

Thank you, that solution worked perfectly for me as well. The only problem that I had was that my system would hang during boot with the AMD staging kernel when I was still on the vesa drivers. I fixed that by going back into the old kernel and switching the drivers there before changing the kernel again.

if you plan on doing any gaming at all or heavy 3d workloads id suggest switching from xf86-video-amdgpu to xf86-video-amdgpu-git. you find it in the package manager. or the software center or what its called :stuck_out_tongue:

yep, that one also comes from the mesa-git repo.

If you feel adventurous, you can also install mesa-git - which should be mesa 17.3 for now - but bugs may occur there! Be ready to switch back to regular mesa if that is the case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by