Samba server on Manjaro Xfce

I'm trying to create a samba server on manjaro xfce, connecting to it from Windows 10 through it's Network drive facility. I have an smb.conf that was working on ubuntu server and am giving it a try here. One thing I've found is that there appears to be a change in the samba server daemon. I don't see smbd (or nmbd) but instead find smb (and nmb). Is that right, a name change for the daemon?

Assuming that's right I've started both smb and nmb daemons using systemctl and I've added smbpasswd's to the user I've signed onto manjaro with. But I'm not able to make the connection from Win10 to the Manjaro server.

I have two shares created, Public and Larry. The former is open to guests and the latter requires user and password. With the ubuntu server both seemed to need a user/password when coming from win10 but i think that's more a win10 thing that anything to do with the server. And it succeeds when connecting from w10 to ubuntu server but fails when connecting from w10 to manjaro server.

Perhaps I've overlooked something, any suggestions?

Here's my smb.conf file.... testparm is happy with it: (The Bold below is just the comment # from the file )

[global]

added

unix charset=UTF-8
workgroup = WORKGROUP
interfaces = lo eth0
#normal
map to guest = Bad User
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
log level = 1

[printers]
comment = All Printers
browseable = no
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = yes
guest ok = no
read only = yes
create mask = 0700

Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable

printer drivers

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
browseable = yes
read only = yes
guest ok = no

[public]

modified ldw guest

path = /srv/samba/public
comment = Contents are read/write for all
read only = no
guest ok = yes
guest only = yes
create mode = 0666
force create mode = 0666
directory mode = 2777
force directory mode = 2777

[larry]

offers the share 'larry' and requires smb-larry signon

path = /srv/samba/larry
comment = Contents are read/write by user larry:passwd
read only = no
browseable = yes
create mode = 0770
force create mode = 0770
directory mode = 2770
force directory mode = 2770
valid users = @larry

NVM, I found the problem.

I used sudo groupadd to create a smb group (the group was 1001). Then I used chown to redefine the owner and group of my public directory (recursively). And used chmod to modifiy the directory's permissions (recursively).

For public it appears to require rwx for all, I'm not really happy about that but will fiddle with it and see if I can eliminate the x portion in the group and other. But at the moment with rwx it IS working.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by