SbK Mate-Compiz 19.0

Screenshot at 2020-03-06 23-40-14

Screenshot at 2020-03-06 19-42-03
I am pleased to announce the release of SbK Mate-Compiz 19.0

This release has:

1. Compiz 9 with the rotating cube for virtual desktops, faded windows in the background, wobbly windows, and other effects.
  2. The 5.4.23-1 lts linux kernel.
  3. The SbK signed repository is used for all project specific packages.
  4. The new KvSpinDarkSand is used and has a Kvantum and gtk theme.
  5. The Desktop, login screen and Grub use the same theme.
  6. Improved font rendering and uniformity of fonts used.
  7. 10 new wallpapers to compliment the theme.
  8. As with all SbK releases there are no snaps or flatpacks.
  9. Bloat has been removed as much as possible.
  10. Lots and lots of updates since 18.1.5. The spin is current as of 3/6/2020
  11. Like all SbK spins it is multiarch by default to make using Wine and any 32bit legacy apps you may want to use easier.
  12. Due to the Mate panel dock applet being broken it uses cairo-dock.

A full and very minimal iso can be downloaded here.

As always questions, suggestions, and comments are welcome, just leave them below.

Jim

3 Likes

Where is the wireless network? No icon. Nothing in menu except advanced network connection.

Have you looked in the system tray that pops up when you click the notification icon, there should be a network icon there. Its between the clock and the trash can. Sadly there is no other system tray available for cairo-dock.

Found it, I knew it had to be somewhere, thanks for the reply.
You have done a really nice job on this spin.

Thanks, feedback like that is why I make them. Each one has different challenges, but in the end its worth it.

Hey Jim, great to see you're back again with one of your special spins! Compiz and MATE are both still relative 'blanks' in my Linux experience, so I am definitely gonna take this one for a spin. Be back later!

Mate is a fork of Gnome 2. I have used Mate and Gnome 2 a lot in the past. Thats what made this spin special to me. I remember using a Fedora spin with Compiz and Cairo-dock like this one years ago. I hope you enjoy it.
On a side note the theme with the color stripe at the top of the windows will be a feature in future spins. While the background on this spin is rather light, it really helps when the background is dark.
Its likely that Cinnamon 19.0 will be next. But it may take some time as my garden needs a lot of work to be ready for spring planting.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by