Scanner not working (anymore)

Hi *,

I got a Samsung SCX-4521F. I got that working about a year ago using the Samsung unified driver. I haven't used the scanner in quite a while - several releases have rolled by... So, today I tried to use it again and it didn't work. It seems, that somewhere during that time the configuration got lost?! I wouldn't rule out an unintended deinstall (don't drink & (re-)(de-)install!)...

Anyway, I downloaded the SUD from https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/samsung-unified-driver/ and used the install-scanner.sh script to install Scanner support (printer is working).

Plugging the MFP in USB => messages.log:

Jul 5 21:19:12 mars kernel: usb 3-7: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
Jul 5 21:19:12 mars kernel: usblp 3-7:1.1: usblp1: USB Bidirectional printer dev 6 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x3419
Jul 5 21:19:12 mars systemd[1]: Reached target Printer.
Jul 5 21:19:12 mars systemd[1]: Started Configure Plugged-In Printer.
Jul 5 21:19:18 mars kernel: usblp1: removed
Jul 5 21:19:18 mars kernel: usblp 3-7:1.1: usblp1: USB Bidirectional printer dev 6 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x3419
Jul 5 21:19:18 mars udev-configure-printer[1742]: Re-enabled printer ipp://localhost/printers/Samsung-SCX-4x21-Series

Starting "sudo xsane" (it used to work without being su before, but right now I would be glad to scan as root):

Don't know where that ORION-thing comes from, but neither of the two are working. I select one of the two, and when trying to scan get an error messages "Couldn't start Scanner".

Suggestions?

P.S. It is getting stranger... Sometimes, it seems to work: Preview scan works fine, I get a preview. Then I choose an A4 format, multipage project, hit scan - nothing!

messages.log:

Jul 5 21:32:07 mars kernel: usblp1: removed
Jul 5 21:32:24 mars kernel: usblp 3-7:1.1: usblp1: USB Bidirectional printer dev 6 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x3419
Jul 5 21:32:29 mars kernel: usblp1: removed
Jul 5 21:32:46 mars kernel: usblp 3-7:1.1: usblp1: USB Bidirectional printer dev 6 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x3419
Jul 5 21:32:51 mars kernel: usblp1: removed
Jul 5 21:32:59 mars kernel: usblp 3-7:1.1: usblp1: USB Bidirectional printer dev 6 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x3419
Jul 5 21:33:16 mars kernel: usblp1: removed
Jul 5 21:33:33 mars kernel: usblp 3-7:1.1: usblp1: USB Bidirectional printer dev 6 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x3419

Since it is in the aur, why not
yaourt samsung unified driver
instead of manually downloading and installing via scipt ?

Oh, and also this -

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SANE/Scanner-specific_problems#Samsung

When plugging in a usb2 printer/scanner to a usb3 interface there is currently a bug in the xhci kernel code that causes the xsane process to hang...

Should also add that

This seems to mean that the connection is being dropped by usblp... so it is possibly something with the cable or ports.

Hi cscs,

thx for your ideas. I used the uninstall-scanner.sh script to manually deinstall the scanner, then reinstalled the SUD via yaourt.
=> No change, same as before

lsusb gives me:
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 04e8:3419 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd Composite Device

and that's what's in my /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf

#Samsung SCX-4x21 Series
usb 0x04e8 0x3419

oh, and it is USB 2.0

cable? You mean hardware? Printer is working fine, though...

Printing a test page => messages.log:

Jul 5 22:03:49 mars kernel: usblp 3-7:1.1: usblp1: USB Bidirectional printer dev 10 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x3419
Jul 5 22:03:49 mars kernel: usblp1: removed
Jul 5 22:03:49 mars kernel: usb 3-7: reset full-speed USB device number 10 using xhci_hcd
Jul 5 22:03:49 mars kernel: usblp 3-7:1.1: usblp1: USB Bidirectional printer dev 10 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x3419

test page comes out fine.

whats the output of
scanimage -L

$ scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

However, now xsane doesn't find a scanner either (not even Orion) => it did find one just a minute ago!

...what sorcery...

$ sane-find-scanner

sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the

result is different from what you expected, first make sure your

scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that

you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.

If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".

could not open USB device 0x8087/0x8002 at 002:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 002:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x8087/0x800a at 001:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0003 at 004:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1a81/0x1004 at 003:003: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung], product=0x3419 [SCX-4x21 Series]) at libusb:003:012
could not open USB device 0x0411/0x01b3 at 003:004: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 003:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)

Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

Not checking for parallel port scanners.

Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports

can't be detected by this program.

You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you

found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as

necessary.

Maybe make sure you are member of "lp" and "scanner" by running

groups

And you said it is a USB 2.0 port that its plugged into? (plug/unplug/try a different one and repeat command)

If still no - This may be the same case as noted above with the same solution. [use ethernet and one extra config line]

Also outlined on last post here
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=161454

and from sane here
http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-xerox_mfp.5.html

Sorry I dont have much more info than that ...

thx, cscs, none of that did really help... maybe someone else has an idea?! Pls?!

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SANE

I had this problem myself with my Epson similar message, I had to downgrade to sane-1.0.24-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz i reported it to sane they never bovered to reply. its not the arch package as I had to do the same with Fedora yesterday.

2 Likes

...sick and tired of this sh#*... I tried downgrading and unplugging and removing packages and reinstalling packages. I tried the Orion-mfp and the Samsung-Option. I tried as root and as user. I checked those config-files and blacklists and what not.

It is now working for some reason or other it is now working and I cannot tell you why. I re-upgraded sane, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. I downloaded the SUD from the Samsung-website, just in case, but that didn't help either (at least at first...).

So, I am not sure if this is now "stable" or I will run in the same problems a year from now when I will use the scanner again.

So, technically this issue is "solved". I'd rather leave it open, though, for all to see ;o)

Thx 2 all!

This what Linux is about nobody forced you to use Linux I know that sounds hard but the fact with any release stable or rolling is the devs do not work together and sometimes this ■■■■ happens its all part of the fun after a few years most users get the hang of it rolling sorts it out faster than static.
Arch says it as it is and it applies to Linux/BSD/MS/apple "Arch does not break your system you do it on your own nobody forced you to install or upgrade you made that decision" that is unless you have win7 onwards then MS makes that decision for you.
joking apart this happens from time to time it usually sorts out or your scanner may give up in the meantime :persevere:
Anyway look on the bright side you learn something by fixing it :grinning:

Aaaakkkkk! It's not Linux, nor Windows, it's just bloody damn computers! :smiley:

Regards

Wondering if maybe you rebooted to activate the magic?

Yes he did that its working for him now.:grin:

Had the same problem with usb scanner.

Using linux kernel 4.4.19-1

$ scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

$ groups

disk lp network video audio optical storage scanner power users sambashare

Looking at post by @kouros17 and following instructions to have sane installed and unplug and re-plug the USB device back in:

$ scanimage -L

device `plustek:libusb:002:010' is a Canon CanoScan N1240U/LiDE30 flatbed scanner

$ scanimage --device plustek:libusb:002:010 --format=tiff > test.tiff

Confirmed that a business card was scanned in color.

However; Cannot get SANE to work and cannot get virtualbox to connect to ANY connected usb devices. <-- this indicates a problem on the linux side.

This used to work in linux kernel 4.1.1-1 and 4.1.16-1 and was able to connect to scanner (CanonScan LiDE 50) from virtualbox.

Not anymore.

Played with groups [login-user] and found the following permissions for [login-user] allows VirtualBox to detect conected USB devices:

disk lp network video audio optical storage scanner power usbmux sambashare vboxusers users

Then issued the commands:

$ lsusb

Bus 005 Device 003: ID 046d:c040 Logitech, Inc. Corded Tilt-Wheel Mouse
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 04a9:220e Canon, Inc. CanoScan N1240U/LiDE 30
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

$ scanimage -L

device `plustek:libusb:005:002' is a Canon CanoScan N1240U/LiDE30 flatbed scanner

(may have to unplug USB device for a few seconds before plugging back-in) to get confirmation USB device was detected.

confirming scanner was detected.

Then rebooted.

Then in Virtualbox host (the GUI to launch a Virtualbox guest session), checked to see if connected USB devices were detected:

Summary

So now, can work USB scanner from Virtualbox Windows session. Infact, can detect any USB device from Virtualbox.

Unfortunately, cannot get scanner to work from manjaro after consulting ArchWiki or SANE.

Are we also able to give applications (sane / xsane) permissions to access hardware (scanner)?

1 Like

xsane works with CanoScan N1240U/LiDE 30 on kernel 4.19.12-2-MANJARO.

So now can use scanner directly on linux or from WinXP running in VirtualBox.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by