Screen tearing on a XFCE hybrid laptop using Intel GPU.

I'm using Manjaro XFCE running on Kernel 5.16. I'm using the composition provided by XFCE, I believe, since I haven't changed anything there and at "Window Manager Tweaks -> Compositor" the option Enable display compositing is activated. I have screen tearing problems when watching videos on VLC or on YouTube.

The folowing are my graphic settings as per inxi-g:

Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel 
Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940MX] driver: nvidia v: 440.82 
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia 
resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.7

I'm guiding myself mainly with this post here at Manjaro Forums because OP has almost the same outcomes as I have, but I don't understand very well how his issue was fixed at the end.

I read at this answer that if using a 440xx on a hybrid laptop, the Nvidia GPU is not active by default, so my screen tearing issues are a result of the Intel HD Graphics 620 driver. And pretty much as OP, I don't have a configuration file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ neither.

So far I installed xf86-video-intel in order to create the configuration file (as indicated here at the Arch Wiki), but prior to continuing I'd like to check with more experienced users if I'm in the right path, and most importantly, how to do this correctly because I don't want to screw my OS and have to reinstall everything again.

Thank you very much!

Personally, I'd try using compton/picom and/or xcompmgr to see if the problem goes away.

I see. What would be the difference between using those compositors and the one used by XFCE?

Mostly that screen doesn't tear...

Try picom. If that doesn't work try picom+ the following.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "intel"

Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

I've had issues with XFCE compositor. My iGPU is Intel HD Graphics 630. Using properly configured picom and using intel driver should remove screen tearing. Also had more tearing with modesetting than with intel driver for intel iGPUs.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by