Serious Upgrade Problem

This is not good enough, because all your scripts will get stuck when trying to rm temporary stuff.

1 Like

As i said...

But we are now longshot offtopic :slight_smile:

rm /bin/rm is not recommended, but will prevent more rm’s :relaxed:

the hackery is bash replacement by zsh:

% rm -fr * zsh: sure you want to delete all the files in /home/ash/ [yn]?

2 Likes

How? There is no OS in that partition.
If you would have created it by Windows and something happen to Win, you may not have access to your data until you repair your Win; but still you can be sure your data are safe and intact. (It happened to me.)
Besides, a backup drive like an external HDD is just like a data partition and it has the same risk; which means you may delete it by yourself unaware of what you do. (it happened to me too as you said in your next post.)

MBR or GPT crash, and bye-bye all the partitions...
Also, PSU can easily kill a hard-drive.

2 Likes

Oh come on Saeed, you can't be seriously suggesting you need an OS installed on a partation for data corruption to happen!??

I've encountered a few corrupted data-only partitions in my day that had no software on them at all. I've also installed BTRFS on data storage partitions, twice, and lost data both times. (Fool me twice, shame on me). Its on my permanant Ban List.

share your zshrc first.

Back in the day of the floppy disk, I had an assistant who needed to format a floppy. She thought she knew the command and I was in a meeting, so she entered format c:.

Kaboom! wiped the hard drive. This was on windoze 3.1. BUT, I was bored the day before and had backed up all of her data to floppy disk. So kool!

I restalled the software, loaded the backup floppies, done in a couple of hours.

So, if you want people to see you as a 'Power Computer User', do your backups. People will be impressed and you will feel the power!

Much of what must be done on computers is boring but it needs to be done.

1 Like

I've made no addition there. I have just found a note on zsh here and tried.

Honestly, I lost my data once when I was trying to bypass MBR limitations.
But these risks depends on you as admin.
Its risk I think is much less than keeping your data on OS partition.
(PSU? my laptop has batteries :grinning: )

As I said, as admin user you may mistakenly do wrong. (as I did)
You can do the same with your backup drive.

I still have a problem loading up when all updates are done. when you start the machine, it gets past bootloader and then gets stuck with no graphical interface at all.

My inxi:

System: Host: johns-pc Kernel: 4.4.19-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.1.1)
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.7.3 (Qt 5.7.0) Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: System: Gigabyte product: N/A
Mobo: Gigabyte model: F2A55M-DS2 v: x.x BIOS: American Megatrends v: F6 date: 06/26/2013
CPU: Quad core AMD A10-6700 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 29557
clock speeds: max: 3700 MHz 1: 2300 MHz 2: 2700 MHz 3: 1800 MHz 4: 2300 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Richland [Radeon HD 8670D] bus-ID: 00:01.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.4 driver: radeon Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.43.0 / 4.4.19-1-MANJARO, LLVM 3.8.1)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.19-1-MANJARO
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8168 v: 8.040.00-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: 94:de:80:d8:5a:7f
Card-2: Realtek RTL8192CE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter driver: rtl8192ce port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: 74:d0:2b:de:00:21
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1500.3GB (1.1% used) ID-1: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD1003FZEX size: 1000.2GB
ID-2: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5003AZEX size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 450G used: 6.4G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 9.45GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 6.2C mobo: N/A gpu: 5.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 157 Uptime: 31 min Memory: 885.3/7255.7MB Init: systemd Gcc sys: 6.1.1
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.3.1

Let me know if you need any further details

i also tried to change drivers from the free one to nonfree and i got these errors:

udo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

Using config 'video-catalyst' for device: 0000:00:01.0 (0300:1002:990c) Display controller ATI Technologies Inc Richland [Radeon HD 8670D]
Installing video-catalyst...
Using default
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/catalyst/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: catalyst-server and xorg-server-common are in conflict. Remove xorg-server-common? [y/N] error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)

:: catalyst-server and xorg-server-common are in conflict
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

some lines about catalyst... Xorg-server-common most be removed, because is newer then catalyst-server. you need all what catalyst-server needs basicly.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

5 Likes

Had a similar problem myself with the latest update and KDE, can read my thread over here:-

Its useful to know that when your machine hangs like this on a blank screen you can CTRL+ALT+F# to bring up another TTY or console login. With this you can log in and rectify or investigate the problem. Failing that you can also boot a USB image of Manjaro and access your installation that way too.

2 Likes

This should be inscribed on the forehead of every Linux user. It can't be stated enough.

Thanks for reminding us of what we should already know. :smiley:

Regards

1 Like

Howdy

Who is Doug Gwyn? Sometimes, it is hard to remember the past. But the quotes are a nice compliment. Here are some background articles from Wikipedia, for the young ones:

I read those articles to refresh my memory. So much code. Since you are interested, maybe we could start a thread in the Programming section to talk about all of this. My first programs were done in 1963, a couple of thousand more since then. Unix failed because, in part, that style simply did not work in the real world.

gary

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by