Set up for Brother MFC-J481DW issues (Rpm or dpkg is required)

Hello, am trying to install brother mfc-j491dw printer and am really stumped. I dualboot using Manjaro KDE and was able to set up my printer, but here in xfce I cannot seem to make it work.
My printer in not in AUR. Downloaded rpm driver from brother's website.

[sundaywrites@sundaywrites-vivobookasuslaptopx421fas433fa Downloads]$ sudo gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1.gz
[sudo] password for sundaywrites: 
[sundaywrites@sundaywrites-vivobookasuslaptopx421fas433fa Downloads]$ bash
[sundaywrites@sundaywrites-vivobookasuslaptopx421fas433fa Downloads]$ bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1 MFC-J491DW
Only root can perform this operation.
[sundaywrites@sundaywrites-vivobookasuslaptopx421fas433fa Downloads]$ sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1 MFC-J491DW
Rpm or dpkg is required.
[sundaywrites@sundaywrites-vivobookasuslaptopx421fas433fa Downloads]$ 

I above the lone 'bash' is just because bash doesn't usually work and I wanted to know if the terminal would prompt me on it. I also tried this

sudo sh ./linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1 MFC-J491DW

however, the rpm or dpkg prompt still comes up.
Thanks to all in advance.

Hello,

Are you sure?
First, in your title you put MFC-J481DW but the rpm you are using now it shows

And that exists in AUR
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brother-mfc-j497dw/
So, from terminal:
pamac build brother-mfc-j497dw
And maybe you want the optional dependencies too, for scan. If you have troubles, see also this:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=244093

!!!??? Thank you! I guess the AUR packages are different that the ones found in the add/remove software gui. I am not well versed in the terminal so I looked my printer up again but it still doesn't come up.
Am still working on setting up the printer, but the link provided worked to connect the brscanner. So thanks for that!
Thank you for all of your help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by