Setting up Manjaro LXQT minimal with appropriate packages?

Not sure if I phrased the question correctly, I am a newbie so please bear with me.

I like Manjaro and LXQT so I decided to try out the community edition. However, Manjaro LXQT is only available as a minimal version, and I have no experience installing a minimal distro. I booted up the USB drive and it worked fine, but it had a lot of stuff missing (as expected). But there wasn't even settings for sound, nor was there an app store.

My question is, how do I get all these packages that come with a full Manjaro installation? I am stumped, I want the full Manjaro experience along with LXQT. I would like to learn how to configure a minimal distro to my own liking. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

You install a minimal ISO just like any other edition.

If I remember correct - after installation - Manjaro Hello is launched.

Click the Applications button - then select the applications you think you like and click Update system.

The packages will be installed and if you change your mind you can run it again - selecting/deselecting at your preference.

Yes, I understand that. I just wanted to know how to get all the packages that one needs. Like I said, there wasn't even any settings for configuring sound!

So you can only get everything you want after installing the distro, you can't test stuff out in a live environment?

You should be able to download and try out applications from a LiveUSB. They won't be installed automatically when/if you do decide to install down to metal though, and they won't be there if you shutdown and reboot into the USB, as it's not a persistent environment.

The community editions based on Openbox - LXDE, LXQt and Openbox - are minimal editions. There is no preinstalled media player or office package - only the bare necessities. This is a deliberate choice made by the maintainer (in this case me).

Their intended audience is users which know what they want and don't wanna bother with - in their opinion - unnecessary applications.

If you want to have everything (hopefully and mostly - but not guaranteed) configured you should use one of the official editions - e.g. Xfce if you are running a system with limited resources.

This is true - to a degree - as installing applications using a live environment is limited by the resources available to the system.

I am open to suggestions to make the core ISO more usable - but I am not going to provide a full fledged system with all applications.

As already said - these ISO are targeted users with knowledge, experience and preferences.

What one need.

This is a very broad define and one that would change in an instant.

As already mentioned - use the Manjaro Hello -> Applications.

This will provide a a list of common and popular applications for you to choose from.

When you regard yourself as an experienced user you will know how to add applications using the package manager.

Okay, so I got it. You first have to install the distro, then only will the "Applications" section appear in Manjaro Hello. So after installing and checking all the applications I want, I clicked "UPDATE SYSTEM" but nothing happens. None of the programs I select get installed. Nothing happens when I click update system. Am I doing something wrong?

This is new and I can see it - I will check what has happened there - usually you get a confirmation box for your password - then the packages are installed.

I have checked with another edition (Openbox) and the Manjaro Hello -> Applications works as expected.

I have checked the inner workings of LXQt and the policykit daemon is running as it should.

This requires more investigation.

EDIT:
I have found the cause - this will be fixed.

The application utility relies on pamac-installer which is only installed with pamac-gtk.

1 Like

So I got it to work. I had to manually install the pamac GUI for Manjaro Hello's Applications section to work. It would be great if the GUI came installed in the ISO, so that one could install all the applications they want.

The logic behind these minimal is that you can install the desired apps - and because LXQt is based on the Qt framework - I have only added pamac-cli - and I was actually expecting the pamac-installer to go with the cli (completely forgot to verify the functionality - until now) - but it did not and I will add the GTK version to LXQt.

Thank you for making me aware of the issue.

4 Likes

It would be great, if it worked. I'm afraid my reason to install LXQt is another than those you suggest (as other's, I imagine). I'm a newbie, so I know nothing about using a terminal (I used to know a little about it in Stone Age, when I used DOS), and my laptop is primitive. Although it's a x64, has only 2gb of ram. I tried XFCE and it lagged, so I wanted to try a minimal installation (not an ugly one, as LXDE, IMO). I used the live USB and the OS seemed wonderful. But I thought it would be simple to install other programs once I was installed the OS. Nope! It's not. The placement of the Applications, even if it worked, is not intuitive. I could not find it for a time, as I kept looking at the menus (used to Windows, of course), despite there isn't much to look indeed. When finally I found it, what happened? Nothing at all. So I thought it was only a previewer, though it made no sense at all. How frustrating! Would you please to show the command we have to enter at the terminal to enable the correct pacman (or any other application not yet installed) to work with this flavor?

Thank you.

I have build an ISO with applications - available at the same download location.

Another option is to create a new text file in your home folder - name it e.g. packages.txt and paste below content into the file and save it.

When you have saved the file you can install the list using this command

sudo pacman -Syu - <packages.txt
android-tools
android-udev
audacious
autoconf
automake
avahi
binutils
bison
cups
cups-pdf
cups-pk-helper
fakeroot
ffmpeg
flex
gcc
ghostscript
git
gsfonts
gst-libav
gst-plugins-bad
gst-plugins-base
gst-plugins-good
gst-plugins-ugly
gutenprint
gvfs-afc
gvfs-gphoto2
gvfs-mtp
hplip
juffed-qt5
libdvdcss
libreoffice-still
libtool
m4
make
manjaro-alsa
manjaro-pulse
mobile-broadband-provider-info
modemmanager-qt
mtpfs
networkmanager-dispatcher-ntpd
networkmanager-openconnect
networkmanager-pptp
networkmanager-vpnc
noto-fonts
nss-mdns
p7zip
pamac-gtk
patch
patchutils
pinta
pkg-config
pulseaudio-bluetooth
pulseaudio-ctl
pulseaudio-zeroconf
python-gobject
python-pyqt5
simple-scan
splix
subversion
system-config-printer
trojita
ttf-bitstream-vera
ttf-droid
ttf-inconsolata
unarchiver
unrar
usb_modeswitch
vlc

Third option is LXDE

Ok, linux-aarhus.

Thanks. I'll try the second method by now, though I suspect it won't solve my problem. I don't know if I am correct, but it seems the version you uploaded is not minimal anymore, judging by the size and the name of the file. Is that the case? I don't need a lot of apps I probably will never use and have no space or machine power to keep. I just wanted to change some defaults as the web browser (I use Vivaldi) and some others. I thought you would just correct the flawed application and upload another minimal version whose apps manager actually worked. Anyhow, thanks again for the effort and keep up with the good work.

Best regards.

PS. I saw now the new update of the minimal installation. I'll try it. Thanks a lot.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by