Setup Manjaro Windows Dualboot

Thats like the worst option ever. I dont even want a damn windows system, I just need this software to run... But I am afraid you are right... god I hate windows even more now since I can't install it second...

Would you assist me? In backing up.

Any chance pacman got a list of installed packages somewhere, so I can do something like

sudo pacman -uninstall/install so you end up with this list

I removed snap for example since it takes for ever to start and by default some programms are installed via snap but could also be installed via "not snap" and I'd basically would like to not reconfigure my whole system.

But I guess thats gonna be a unfullfillable wish hmmm?

Edit1: How do I copy my home folder and keep the ownder:group properties when I put it back?

Make yourself a list of apps you have added after you installed Manjaro.

This could be a relatively short list. Make it a simple text file with one package on a separate line.

Use a remote device some external storage to copy everything from your home folder (except .cache) including hidden files and folders.

When you have reinstalled Manjaro

• install the package list
    copy your text file to your home folder
    sudo pacman -Syu - <packages.txt
  • copy all files back to your home folder

logoff -> login -> done

You can simply further by resizing your current partition - create a new partition and format with ext4.

Mount it temporarily

Copy your entire $USER folder from home to the new partition

cp /home/$USER /new/partition/mountpoint

When you install Windows choose to manually create the partition scheme and make sure you do not touch your backup partition.

When you install Manjaro - during the partitioning you can choose to mount the partition containing your $USER home as /home and you will - without much effort have all your settings and data readily available.

1 Like

This step is unclear to me.

Edit1: Sorry, I should explain this in more detail. What do you mean by "usa a remote device to copy".
I interpreted this as I use some external tool to help me keep my owner:group rights.
So after I gave it some thought I am guessing that you mean I should just use cp -r .
Google told me -p option keeps ower:group for me.
So I will go for cp -rp /home/myusername /externaldrivemountpoint/myusername?

1 Like

USB device / Cloud device / LAN device - just raw copy your files.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Important_hidden_.dot_files_in_your_home_partition

The folder in your home named .cache is not required to backup.

Depending on your file manager use Ctrlh or Ctrl. to show/hide hidden files/folders

1 Like

I did not see this edit, thats a nice idea!

I use a slightly different version but you got the idea.

The concept I am using is converted to a howto

Are you sure your VM is set up correctly? Which VM Manager is it?
Your CPU should be powerful enough to handle a Win7/10 VM.

"Oravle VM VirutalBox Manager" Win10 VM

And which software are you planning to run?

Actually I am a little scared to touch my partitions I am running on currently. As previously mentioned I screwed up the last time I tried resizing and I think even tho its a nice way and probably smooth I will put the data on an external drive since its the "safe" way.

1 Like

STK aka System Tool Kit from AGI

http://help.agi.com/stk/index.htm

Edit1: I guess the issue isnt the VM but rather that my system doesnt have a external GPU and only the intel udh cpu graphics. The recomendation for the GPU is higher
http://help.agi.com/stk/index.htm#install/sysreq.htm
It will not be perfect by any means, even with a seperate windows system but, my geuss is that it takes already a lot of speed away of the system by using a VM on a no GPU system ( was this a sentence?)

1 Like

Linux uses UID:GID and on Manjaro the first user is UID=1000 and GID=1000 so in most cases - as you will probably use the same username the files will have the correct ownership and permissions.

Okay that seems to be a pretty GPU intensive application, in which case a normal VM could be quite slow indeed.
However I would still give at another try - with 3D acceleration enabled and Guest Additions properly installed.

1 Like

no pain - no gain - just joking

Learning by doing is the way to remember - and I had to do it a lot of times - a lot.

We can try installing the guest additions properly, but I tried that yesterday and have given up basically. Even the "normal" windows 10 is slow without the programm running, so 3Dacceleration doenst seem to be the only issue. If you are a VM "guest additions expert" I'm willing to give it another try tho.

Normally I'd acutally agree with no pain - no gain, but its kind of a time sensitive issue aswell since I have to follow the course and already lost a 1,5 days by trying to figure out a solution.

I know - I was just joking - I did understand your situation and I admit - it is less than ideal

1 Like

WoeUSB takes forever to create the bootstick, but I guess thats normal with a 4,7gb windows 10 .iso?

That should normally not be the case.
It's certainly slower than native, but it should be very much usable for normal tasks like browsing or file management.
Not an expert, but on my Win10 VM I just install the additions normally via guest-iso and I get decent speed.
You might want to check whether it uses VBoxSVGA graphics adapter which is faster than VBoxVGA (but can introduce graphical artifacts).

But that's a bit off topic now :slight_smile:
Wish you good luck with your dual boot effort.

1 Like

Yes it is normal - it takes forever - it feels like.

WoeUSB uses same method as the manual described in the howto.

Some users states that Etcher can be used as well - but Etcher is not fit for that job.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by