Several issues

fstab:

UUID=2f73f136-e6a9-48b6-a990-ebda7177fb85 /              ext4    defaults,noatime,discard 0       1
UUID=07b55cfe-a1dc-49ed-821c-95e6ceb67367 swap           swap    defaults,noatime,discard 0       0
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0       0

LABEL=STORAGE	/media/STORAGE		auto	defaults,noatime,nofail		0 0

LABEL=Media	/media/Media		auto	defaults,noatime,nofail		0 0

LABEL=3TBa	/media/3TBa		auto	defaults,noatime,nofail 	0 0

LABEL=3TBb	/media/3TBb		auto	defaults,noatime,nofail 	0 0

LABEL=3TBc	/media/3TBc		auto	defaults,noatime,nofail		0 0

LABEL=Steam	/media/Steam		auto	defaults,noatime,nofail		0 0

//192.168.0.3/Public /media/WDPublic cifs credentials=/home/andy/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nounix 0 0

//192.168.0.3/Andy /media/WDAndy cifs credentials=/home/andy/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nounix 0 0

and:

[andy@andy-pc ~]$ inxi -Fx

System:    Host: andy-pc Kernel: 4.4.11-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.1.1)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.30) Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:   Mobo: MSI model: A88XM GAMING (MS-7903) v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: V1.4 date: 12/15/2014
CPU:       Quad core AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 34410
           clock speeds: max: 4299 MHz 1: 4299 MHz 2: 4299 MHz 3: 4299 MHz
           4: 4299 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.4 driver: fglrx
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
           GLX Version: 4.5.13399 - CPC 15.201.1151 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri HDMI/DP Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Card-3 XMOS driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 008-002
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.11-1-MANJARO
Network:   Card: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: alx port: e000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
           mac: 44:8a:5b:85:30:c2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 5629.1GB (16.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sdb model: Hitachi_HUA72201 size: 1000.2GB
           ID-2: /dev/sda model: SanDisk_SD7SB6S1 size: 128.0GB
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: TOSHIBA_DT01ABA3 size: 3000.6GB
           ID-4: /dev/sde model: HGST_HTS545050A7 size: 500.1GB
           ID-5: /dev/sdd model: ST1000VM002 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 102G used: 30G (31%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.23GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 20.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 252 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 1381.4/15063.2MB
           Init: systemd Gcc sys: 6.1.1
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421) inxi: 2.3.0 

Thanks

1 Like

The ISO was burnt at work, but it was the vanilla flavour.

1 Like

I have to go to bed soon...

Please bear in mind I had Fedora on this same machine working for some time, before now. The reason I switched was due to the constant reconfiguring due to updates, most of which seemed to be due to incorporating new features while neglecting the fact that the system should actually work day to day.

I guess that's the penalty to pay for that distro...it's an ongoing experiment.

When it came to audio, though, it was very well sorted.

1 Like

Are you doing anything with audio or video that might benefit from the adoption of a low latency kernel?

seems to me I saw a post here a day or two ago that was basically a tutorial about installing and setting up Jack, might be worth doing a search to find it...

1 Like

there are gstreamer files for audio also

sudo pacman -S gstreamer gstreamer0.10 gst-plugins-base gst-plugins-good

Hi, andy. First we need to make sure what's causing the problem, whether it's jack or audacious. Have you tried playing the audio using other music player?

Hi and thanks for your replies. I have to go away for a day or two so can't make many more experiments.

I have set up Jack on this machine before, using Fedora and Audacious and it played excellently with (my own design) USB DAC which uses and XMOS receiver.

I have another machine 3m from me, running Mint, which runs Jack and Audacious, and Kodi perfectly with the same DAC.

My wife's machine, which is 1M away from me ran Fedora with a real-time Kernel from Planet CCRMA when I was using it as a HTPC, using various DACs.

On this machine I also tried Clementine and DeadBeef, both play, but clicks and noises, which I assume are xruns, on hi res files, no matter what settings I try.

I have all the gstreamer plugins installed and, in any case, the fils in question are pre WAV PCM files, no format conversion is taking place.

The other issue, as I said, is unrelated, but irritating: sometimes I will return to find my machine asleep, but it is unrousable and the HD LED is rhythmically pulsating. Only a hard reboot will fix it.

Again, I will say that I have had Mint and then Fedora on this machine for over a year and had none of these problems.

I'll have another look at the noise issue in a day or two.

Thanks again for the answers by the way. I will be back by my machine in a day or two.

It would be a shame for me have to switch back to Fedora, just to listen to music properly.

I see. Audacious here is more recent than the one on Mint, but I don't think that's the issue. Maybe you should compile your own kernel if Xruns is the issue. There's linux-rt package available in AUR, but I don't recommend installing it in Manjaro. You should compile it using Manjaro own source available here: https://github.com/manjaro/packages-core/blob/master/linux46/. But if you don't want the headache, either install Antergos and linux-rt from AUR, or just stay with Fedora instead. I'm sorry to say unless Manjaro will support rt kernel in the future your workload is not suited to be using Manjaro :pensive:

1 Like

To get rid of the clicks and static noises on my machine when using pulseaudio-equalizer app and modules I followed the instructions here in the glitches, skips, crackling section:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting

I added tsched=0 to the end of the load-module module-udev-detect line in /etc/pulse/default.pa file.

You can also try the other suggestions on that page. The issue for you like me could be the the fact "The newer implementation of the PulseAudio sound server uses timer-based
audio scheduling instead of the traditional, interrupt-driven approach." Which would explain why you don't get the issue with mint and possibly also fedora.

Hi, thanks coolooutac. Pulse works fine on my machine under normal circumstances, it's when using hi-res formats such as 24 bit 192kHz and Jack, fed out to an (asynchronous) USB D/A converter.

I haven't had any time to get back and look at this problem very much, so I don't have a lot to report. However, with regard to Audacious, that miraculously started working the following day...

As for the clicking issue, I did get somewhere with that by increasing various buffer sizes, I can't remember which now (I'm away from that machine).

Andy

To reduce clicking issue (XRuns), read my tutorial here
Scroll down until the FAQ section point 4 on how to reduce XRuns. I managed to get rid of XRuns completely and still having 11ms latency. :slight_smile:

Thanks crazyg4merz, yes, I have seen your tutorial.

On this machine I would like to leave Pulse as near standard as possible, because my wife and kids use it, and I want sound to work well under 'normal' circumstances.

Are you using 24/96 or 24/192 from HD into an external D/A converter? Audacious > Jack > USB ?

Bear in mind I am looking for bit-perfect, hifi quality, not 'it plays perfectly well' from the usual 'PC audio' kind of viewpoint (resample everything to 16/44).

If I get time tonight I will have another look, and maybe create a ramdisk and read from there to see if it's the HD side causing the issue.

We have a thunderstorm here so I will post before the lights go out again!

I'm using 48000/128 :slight_smile:
I got two computers, one with external audio interface with Phantom power into the microphone and monitoring headphone. Another one is using a two headsets combo with one using cheap usb sound card. I don't know if my audio quality is perfect or not though, just not an audiophile. :slight_smile:

Hi crazyg4mer, thanks for your reply.

I am an audiophile, and it's my job too - I am a 'golden ears' although, they look pretty human to me in the mirror ;-D

These issues appear when I put more strain on the path HD > Jack > USB DAC in terms of bit rate (24bits, 96kHz and 192kHz files).

It's bugging me now...it sounds insane, but different HDs do perform differently in this application, sound wise (yes, get over it) and, I am, in this instance using a 3TB Toshiba, formerly Hitachi. This one doesn't sound good and, if I were getting a series of 'micro xruns', that could explain it.

I should get my test gear home and measure this...

Anyway, I found the same on another machine (with Mint) and upped the buffers to 'huge' and it mitigated it, but, really, I merely bypassed the problem and used a different drive (such as a RAMdisk, or a Seagate 'media' drive).

I wonder if this is my issue now?

Let me check and find out, it may take a day or two due to other workloads.

Andy

I think you should try the linux-rt kernel in AUR. Also, desktop effect in your Desktop Environment can cause XRuns too. You might want to have a read here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio
:slight_smile:

Hi crazyg4merz,

My desktop is XFCE and I have a AMD A10-7850k APU overclocked at 4.3GHz and 960MHz on the GPU, with memory running at 2400MHz so I hope have enough oomph to deal with it.

maybe a rt kernel would help, maybe not. I have several machines at home, the one I use for day--to-day has Manjaro on it, for many reasons, and it's nice to play music on my headphones while fiddling. I have a dedicated 'music' machine which is in development, with Mint, because that works fine.

The problem with Fedora is one minute your D?A converter will be working fine, the next the OS will deny it ever existed because the driver has been removed from the kernel - this happened to me.

Maybe it's not ultimately big issue to fix, but it IS when you want to have an evening listening to music with your wife and a bottle of wine.

In fact, I'm looking at BSD to simply sidestep all of this, the music machine should just work, not work one day and not the next due to a developer's whim - and that is getting to be a problem with Linux (and, I guess, hence we have Manjaro and Mint).

Andy

It's weird because between Linux Mint and Manjaro the kernel shouldn't be so much different. Linux Mint has a more bloated kernel than Manjaro as far as I know. Maybe take a look at the scheduler you're using may help. To see your current scheduler, type in cpupower frequency-info
It's recommended to use performance for Linux audio (I think Manjaro is using powersafe by default?). To change the scheduler, edit the file in /etc/default/cpupower. Hope this can help :slight_smile:

Forum kindly sponsored by