sgtk-menu: GTK menu for sway and i3

Being happy with wofi/rofi and dmenu, I've never thought that i3 or sway needed a menu. I started this code out of curiosity, but the result seems to be worth of sharing, as no other menu I know works well on sway.

Features

• .desktop entries-based system menu;
  • search box to find what you need quickly;
  • favourites (most frequently used entries) menu above (optional);
  • user-defined menu below (optional).

2020-01-10-225658_screenshot

The sgtk-menu AUR package 0.0.1 is a pre-release and needs testing. I'll be grateful for feedback and contributions to the repository.

8 Likes

Is this like morc_menu?

No, it's not. See readme.

In the 0.7.0 version you'll find improved i3 support, and also a possibility to use sgtk-menu as a replacement to the Openbox menu.

2 Likes

Works pretty good. Good work.

:+1:

1 Like

Thanks!

v0.8.0 brings the sgtk-bar command, to create horizontal / vertical button bars. See [wiki[(https://github.com/nwg-piotr/sgtk-menu/wiki/Commands-and-arguments#sgtk-bar).

1 Like

Moved from #showcase to #manjaro-development:projects because that's where it belongs :wink:

Neat project, maybe I'll play around with it when I finally find time to get used to i3. :laughing:

when I finally find time to get used to i3

Be careful! As soon as it happens, it's not easy to work with a floating WM. Openbox was my favourite, but now overlapping windows piss me off. :rofl:

1 Like

I've just added a new command: sgtk-grid displays a GNOME-like application grid, w/ optional favourites above.

2020-02-07-163507_screenshot

The command comes with its own ~/.config/sgtk-menu/grid.css file, which overrides the theme settings, to give the grid more gnomish look. See wiki for details.

As all the package, it's expected to work well w/ sway, i3 and Openbox.

3 Likes

sgtk-menu 1.3.0 released. Should work on most WMs and some DEs. Tested on sway, i3, Openbox, FVWM, dwm, yaxwm, qtile, and briefly on XFCE and GNOME (Xorg).

3 Likes

For some time I've been working on the paralel project: same 4 launchers coded from scratch in gtkmm / C++. First 2 of them - application grid and button bar - are available for testing here. There's no package yet. To install, you'll have to follow simple steps described in README. Execution is about 2 times faster than in the python version. Thanks in advance for feedback.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by