Should I install the newest kernel immediately after it's available? Why yes and why not?

Hi all,

I read the news that 5.8 has just been released, and Linus Torvalds said that this is the biggest yet.

I'm curious, should I install the newest kernel?

I would probably wait for 5.8.1 or 5.8.2 before switching. The most obvious bugs will have seen fixes by then and most software (kernel modules) will have been updated to work with 5.8.

1 Like

I would wait a little installing kernel 5.8.

1 Like

you can install linux58rc or linux5.8.0 ,
but only for testing , check few apps , not for workings days
and go back older version for working day

only new hardware that cant boot on linux5.7 will stays on 5.8

wait version 5.8.1 or more , until firmware , wifis works in most case

1 Like

Likewise...

If you are using non-LTS kernel series, you should upgrade to the newest kernel eventually. Not necessarily immediately, but in a near future, considering that non-LTS kernel series have a pretty short lifespan. You can wait for the first couple revisions without problem if you want.

If you are using LTS kernel series, it is not necessary, because LTS kernel series are supported for a pretty long time.

I've read an interview of Greg Kroah-Hartman (who maintains the LTS kernels) that he recommends the latest mainline kernel if it is possible. LTS is meant for hardware where you don't install a new kernel like on smartphones. But I can't find the interview anymore.

I found Manjaro about three years ago and now very rarely dual boot back into Windows 10. I run a Ryzen 3950X on an AsRock X470 motherboard because I enjoy crunching numbers with BOINC and F@H with 16 cores and 32 threads all year long.

I enjoy the freedom with System Settings / Kernel to maintain separate kernels to choose at boot time. I keep the last LTS version (5.4.55) and that gives me the courage to download and try the latest release.

I just installed 5.7.12 from AUR by error; I usually wait patiently for the Pacman release. One immediate improvement with this latest kernel was that with the same workload my CPU temperature fell by almost 10° C! I have no idea why, but some have suggested there are more active developments for AMD power management.

My point is: Some times there is just such an unexpected, unanticipated improvement without any hardware changes. I know kernels adopt new tech like Wifi-6 and NVME drives, but sometimes they just make my old hardware FLY!

Worth the risk, having the LTS kernel in my back pocket. :smiley:

I don't know if you know, but you can avoid this error by managing the kernels via the Manjaro specific settings and not via the regular package manager.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by