[SOLVED] AIO topic: 1. Cannot connect to home wifi. 2. Latest kernel - no wifi adapter found. 3. NM shows two WIFI modules

I'll admit I haven't tried it recently - I suppose I should try it again. :slight_smile:

The card used is a WIFI+BT combo.

That is what I was trying to say. Bluetooth is detected on the USB bus, and the wifi is on PCI.

Could you give us an update on your driver issue please.

You could also try this installation method:

git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new/

cd rtlwifi_new

make

sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be

sudo make install

sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=2
echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf
echo rtl8723be | sudo tee /etc/modules-load.d/rtl8723be.conf

Then restart.

Is it a removal command?

Yes that is to uninstall the driver, but if you compiled it from source I'm doubting that command will work.

Oh - it will - it is the module I created for the ABook V142 - it is in the repo. :slight_smile:

Just learned I have to rebuild on every kernel increment - I was not observant :slight_smile:

But I thought earlier in the post he said he compiled it from github. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I read this as the module installed from the repo - as it has the name assigned to the kernel modules by the PKGBUILD

Gonna try this at home. Maybe it will manage to connect to home wifi.

Yes building from github means rebuilding every kernel update. I think you can now do a DKMS install with rtlwifi_new, and that way you wouldn't have to rebuild after each update.

It is not for my use but for the users of the V142.

I have a ISO for it - just verifying for the laptop to Finland.

1 Like

Sorry I guess I was getting the rtl8723be threads confused. There are currently three different threads open on this adapter right now. It's a headache for sure.

1 Like

That is easy - the confusion - because this is indeed a BE thread with an attempt to use the BU driver.

I think in german Umweg is the word to use :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is another thread in the German sub-forum open ATM. I was attempting to help him, but I have to use Google translate. Not my native language .

Ok. Removed BU and recompiled BE. Wifi adapter has gone missing now. Only bluetooth present. Kernel 4.19.

The XDA-Forums post I linked to above says this happens with the BE driver: when you enable BT, wifi disappears.

Guess, I should recompile BU then.

Before you compile the driver I would install a few additional things.

sudo pacman -S base-devel git iw wireless_tools --needed

I would suggest using kernel 4.18 at this point, as 4.19 has been reported problematic with this adapter.

I would also suggest installing the linuxXXX-headers as well, (where "XXX " is replaced by your kernel number):

sudo pacman -S linux418-headers

You could also try disabling bluetooth completely to see if you can raise the adapter.

The best method to disable bluetooth in Manjaro is to add the following entry to the configuration file:

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf 

Add this line to the conf file:

install bluetooth /bin/false 

Save the changes to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf with root privileges.

Then disable the bluetooth service:

sudo systemctl disable bluetooth
sudo systemctl mask bluetooth

Then, restart.

That will completely disable bluetooth by preventing its dependencies from starting any bluetooth related module. You can easily enable bluetooth again by commenting out (or remove) the entry in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, and then re-enable/unmask the Bluetooth service.

To enable the bluetooth service:

sudo systemctl unmask bluetooth
sudo systemctl enable bluetooth

Then, restart.

nope, no luck.

Forum kindly sponsored by