[Solved] Audio stopped working after an update

I logged into my Manjaro and found that the sound stopped working. It was working for the past few days, but now it doesn't work.

Executing pulseaudio returns the following output:

E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

Now, I am not sure how to check what went wrong, I am sure my system was upgraded automatically, since a few days ago, it said there were 49 package updates, but now it says system is up to date. So I suspect the update broke it, but it might be something else.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

What desktop are you using? I can only speak from the XFCE side of things (it might work on the other's but I make no guarantees).

Start up something that plays music, or continual noise, or something. In the menu look for "PulseAudio volume control". Run that. First on the playback tab is your application listed, is the bottom "blue' bar moving up and down? What does the label on the button say? "Build-in Audio Analog Stereo"? Is little speaker highlighed (that means it muted)? Click it did that fix things?

Go to the Output Devices tab. For your output device what port is being used? Is it the correct port? Again there is the little speaker button highlighted?

Finally check the Configuration page, For your audio device is there a profile, is it off?

1 Like

My machine keeps keeps randomly swapping outputs to HDMI from Built-in speakers - drives me potty.

As @pixel27 says - Run pavucontrol and check the Output devices section.

This happens regardless of DE, but so far has been more stable on bspwm & KDE.

1 Like

Was pulseaudio one of the updates?

If pulseaudio was updated, might be some old configuration settings not compatible with new package

got to configuration file in home folder ~/.config/pulse
delete files with name ending "default-sink" and "default-source" and 3 files ending ".tdb"
reboot for pulseaudio to rebuild new versions of deleted files

2 Likes

Hi everyone. Thanks to @nikgnomic @pixel27 @xircon for replying.

The problem is now fixed, sorry for the late reply.

I tried what @nikgnomic had suggested, removing all files with the endings default-source and default-sink and .tdb files from ~/.config/pulse. and then executing killall pulseaudio and pulseaudio --start, but I think pulseaudio --kill is the proper way to kill it though.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by