[SOLVED] Calamares throws Installation Failed

Sorry, I'm stupid, I meant chkdsk c: /f or chkdsk /f

you need to specify the drive letter so the first option.

great

I will check the guide and adjust accordingly.

2020-04-21T07:21:00Z
The guide has been amended - and information on repairing Windows filesystem errors with Windows added.

Which guide specifically, the PDF one still needs revising if you are referring to that.

When dualbooting with windows, it is far safer to resize the ntfs partition using Windows Disk Management prior to attempting installation of Manjaro or any other Linux distribution for that matter. Please alter the guide again to reflect that as it minimises the risk of screwing up the bitmap or data loss from overzealous partition shrinking due to a fragmented file system.

I could care less if it's more convenient to let Calamares handle this operation, or use gparted/kde partition manager it is also far riskier.

This one

1 Like

yep much better, maybe update the wiki site to link to yours instead

chkdsk is Windows own filesystem repair tool - we don't need the output from a Windows tool

Yes - otherwise your filesystem is partly cached to memory - which in turn is written to disk - and thus makes your disk read-only when mounted in Linux.

If you don't need write access - it could be you don't have to disable the features - but knowing Windows - I highly recommend disabling it.

Because of the above fastboot/hybrid sleep functionality the filesystem mounts read-only.

Use Windows diskpart to resize your Windows partition before booting to Manjaro and launching the installer.

Great, ok, I'll do chkdsk c: /f (since chkdsk c: and chkdsk /scan both failed).
I'm also confused that your guide still shows manual partitioning
in Calamares whereas that option no longer exists.

The option exist - if you don't see it you may be in a virtual machine and the installer window is not big enough to show the option.

Though this being on dual boot - it shouldn't be so.

The option exist - I checked it same day on a fresh ISO - when I edited the forum guide to dual-boot.

No it is not a virtual machine - but now I see the scrollbar in the screenshot, lol
Thanks! Your guide will work with efi/gpt right?

Yep - the guide is targeting EFI/GPT.

:+1:
Also, are these actually instructions or just tips? The seperate home and /root ones and the swap size ones (I do not know how to add swap to manual partitioning)

EDIT: never mind, I saw the instructions for it below. :slight_smile:
Just one more question, when you refer to sizes like 2048000 and 512, are they mb or kb?

Calamares only understands MB - you will see :slight_smile:

It is tips - but if you read it as instructions - you won't fail.

This is why it is so detailed - you can follow the guide to a succesfull installation - of course I cannot guarantee - but to the best of my knowledge - it works.

:no_mouth:
:no_mouth:

If you caught a typo - thank you - I will edit the guide.

And done - good catch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup thanks!
I don't think we should be assigning 2+TB to a partition, haha

Great it's fixed :smiley:

i have one more question. Does /f work and allow you to use your pc at the same time, or will it run on boot (aka cannot use pc)?

The proposed scan and fix initiated by using the /f switch takes place entirely during boot time so no you cannot use the machine at the same time.

I politely suggest you re-read the chkdsk instructions on the Microsoft website that you linked to yourself. For one thing it told you how to use the /f switch in an example command.

Forum kindly sponsored by