[solved] Dual boot with 8.1 Win

Hello,

I am trying to install Manjaro over Ubuntu, in a dual boot laptop.
I was wondering if I can delete all partitions created by Ubuntu from within Windows and just use the "install alongside" option when prompted by the installer. Will this work?

(Edit: I moved my question to Newbie Corner as I realized it is more appropriate there. Sorry for posting in wrong category, and again. I really appreciate every help I get. Thank you.)

Yes that will work.

However - there is an important difference between Manjaro an Ubuntu.

:exclamation: Manjaro does not support secure boot.

I have secure boot disabled, thanks for the prompt reply! :smiley:

So I guess I just have to delete the ones that are not marked? Meaning all except "C:"?
or just the 250GB one?

Capture

No!! You only can delete the 250 GB Partition if you want to keep Windows incl. all features alive.

It looks like your system comprises a gpt parted disk and everything is installed in UEFI mode but I would recommend you to double check this as it is very important to install Manjaro in the same mode as Windows.

If the system is indeed installed in UEFI with gpt parted disk then you can use the existing EFI partition for Manjaro's grub as well. Only be aware that Windows not always plays nice with other OS on the same disk especially when sharing the EFI partition, sometimes fixes might be needed.

2 Likes

I don't know exactly what this means as I am not very technical savvy, but from what I understand it seems everything is setup correctly and I am good to go in theory with some risks involved. Correct?
I will proceed to delete 250GB partition and boot manjaro from USB to try "install alongside." See how it goes.

The way I installed Ubuntu in the first place in dual boot with win 8.1 was with Ubuntu documentation. I just followed instructions without necessarily knowing what I was really doing. I installed Win on whole disk then, shrunk half, and installed Ubuntu there.

One possibility to double-check your installation and disk status would be to boot into the live ISO and to run some commands from a terminal window:

sudo parted -l
lsblk -f
efibootmgr -v

Ok, will try that and post results. Thank you so much for help.

1. parted cmd

2. lsblk cmd

3. efibootmgr cmd

Sorry for spamming, but I can only upload one picture or two links at a time.

So, these are the results. What do you say? Is everything ok? Should I proceed?

how many disks are you using ?

Just one, in a laptop computer. (I know this can mean trouble but I've been using Ubuntu/Win 8.1 dual boot for months with no real issue, and it is unfortunately the only things I have available for me now. :slight_smile: )

in case if Grub install failed

manjaro-chroot -a ( type 1 if only one line)
efibootmgr -v ( check efi )
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck --verbose
update-grub
efibootmgr -v ( check manjaro )
exit ( quit chroot )

What is this for?
Do I have to type this somewhere before installation?

No. First install Manjaro.

Oh ok. I proceed with deleting partition and installing to that space Manjaro. Will let you know. Thank you so much for your help so far, means a lot.

Good news! I choose the free partition to be replaced with Manjaro and it worked! Everything seems alright. Only problem I have now is with the KDE Wallet popping up and asking password for everything, but I will look around see if I can find what it is for and if I need it, or how to fix it.

Again, thank you all SO MUCH! I knew the community was nice, but didn't realize it was THIS nice! Cheers.

Please don't post screen shots - they are useless in this context.

Please copy the text - paste into a post - select the text and use the </> in the toolbar to format the text.

Oh, okay. Am sorry. Will follow this from now on. Thanks for letting me know!

Here are some similar cases, have a look if one of the solutions work for you:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361403

Forum kindly sponsored by