[SOLVED] How to fix broken upgrade using LiveCD?

Hello !

I had power loss during full system upgrade. So now im unable to boot my system. Probably power loss happened during kernel upgrade.

Warning: /lib/modules/4.4.51-1-MANJARO/modules.devname not found - Ignoring starting version 232 ERROR: device ’UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx’ not found. Skipping fsck. ERROR: Unable to find root device ’UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx’ . You are being dropped to recovery shell Type ’exit’ to try and continue booting sh: can’t access tty: job control turned off [rootfs ]#

Now what i have is one older working Manjaro LiveCD from 2015 (0.8.11). Downloaded also latest 16.10.3 and copied to USB but it doesnt seem to work (after choosing 'Start Manjaro Linux' freezes with Manjaro name and five blinking dots on blank screen).

So my question is, can I fix this broken upgrade using older liveCD? All upgrades are already downloaded.

Yes, you can. Boot from the CD, chroot into your installation and update the system.

Something went wrong when chrooting. Actually there is a existing /etc/mtab file and there is not free space issue in mounted volume.

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ su
Password: 
[root@manjaro manjaro]# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
[root@manjaro manjaro]# chroot /mnt /bin/bash
[root@manjaro /]# pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux44-4.4.51-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
loading packages...
warning: linux44-4.4.51-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/jre7-openjdk-headless-7.u131_2.6.9-1/desc: No such file or directory
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) linux44-4.4.51-1

Total Installed Size:  71.74 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
error: could not open file: /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
error: could not determine filesystem mount points
error: not enough free disk space
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
[root@manjaro /]#

If you want to install anything especially a kernel in chroot you need to mount more of the volatile file system. Either read the Wiki properly what else to mount or do

manjaro-chroot /mnt

which will take care of the stuff automatically unlike chroot /mount

2 Likes

You haven't done it properly. Start over. Either use sudo mhwd-chroot as explained in the section Use mhwd-chroot or follow the tutorial entitled Manually Identify and Prepare the Installed Partition(s) - stop at the end of this section.

Then update the entire system: pacman -Syu

Finally, exit the chroot environment and reboot.

2 Likes

Exactly, thank you both ! I was too hurry to get my system back. I'm more skilled now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by