[SOLVED] Installation freezing at 93%

I have been battling to install Manjaro 20.0.1 and 20.0.2 for the last two days and finally I've solved it. I hope this helps others with the same problem. I followed this HowTo Dual Boot from linux-aarhus to install dual boot on an Acer Aspire Notebook.
The installation kept freezing at 93% when it was trying to install the bootloader. I kept stabbing in the dark and at one time managed to run Manjaro from the hdd after booting from the Live USB after following one of the posts about recreating the boot files. I should have stopped then and thought about it but I went ahead and deleted all linux partitions and started again.
Last night I thought more about what was happening and decided that the BIOS was preventing the installer from writing to the boot partition. The BIOS options on my Acer Aspire notebook are very limited and it does not have UEFI/Legacy or secure file whitelist options just UEFI.
The solution was to create the boot partition without the boot flag which allowed the installation to complete then I flagged the boot partition as boot and it automatically selected esp as well. I then shutdown, removed the Live USB and started again and it worked.
I hope this helps someone else and you don't have to spend two days and about 12 reinstalls from scratch to get there.

3 Likes

I know there has been some issues with the Calamares installer failing to set the efi flag on the $esp. I thought it was fixed upstream.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by