[SOLVED] Installation on MacBook Air - WIFI

Hi, I would like to install Manjaro Linux - Gnome edition on my macbook air (2017).
But it seems that the broadcom-wl-dkms package is needed for wi-fi to work (source : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mac#MacBook_Air).
I tried live-usb and I can't connect my computer to any network (USB and Bluetooth connection sharing via my iphone).
Is it possible to install Manjaro linux and then once the OS is installed to install offline packages? (I have a PC command that runs under manjaro linux - xfce).
I don't have an ethernet adapter.

give us

inxi -Fxzc0

I have no idea what dkms is, I use linux54-broadcom-wl

To your question it is possible download this https://manjaro.moson.eu/stable/extra/x86_64/linux54-broadcom-wl-6.30.223.271-33-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
Install Manjaro then in Pamac (Add/Remove Programs) press those three dots, right top corner and choose Install Local Packages, then reboot.

Here it is :

System:    Host: manjaro-gnome Kernel: 5.4.23-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.1 Desktop: Gnome 3.34.4 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Apple product: MacBookAir7,2 v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Apple model: Mac-937CB26E2E02BB01 v: MacBookAir7,2 serial: <filter> UEFI: Apple v: 192.0.0.0.0 
           date: 12/16/2019 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 34.4 Wh condition: 48.1/54.3 Wh (88%) model: DP bq20z451 status: Discharging 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i7-5650U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Broadwell rev: 4 L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 17605 
           Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 500/3200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 6000 vendor: Apple driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.7 driver: i915 resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 6000 (Broadwell GT3) v: 4.6 Mesa 19.3.4 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Broadwell-U Audio vendor: Apple driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:03.0 
           Device-2: Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Device-3: Broadcom and subsidiaries 720p FaceTime HD Camera driver: bdc-pci bus ID: 02:00.0 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.23-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Apple driver: bcma-pci-bridge 
           v: N/A port: efa0 bus ID: 03:00.0 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 469.67 GiB used: 89.0 MiB (0.0%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Apple model: SSD SM0512G size: 465.92 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Generic model: Flash Disk size: 3.75 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 5.76 GiB used: 89.0 MiB (1.5%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 63.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 195 Uptime: 4m Memory: 7.68 GiB used: 780.5 MiB (9.9%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: N/A Shell: bash 
           v: 5.0.16 inxi: 3.0.37 

Okay, thank you! And is it possible and relevant to do it from the live-usb in order to be able to download what is usually downloaded during installation ?

Welcome I have MacBook Air form 2013 same WiFi chip. Everything works on my Air but facetime camera, what I have never used so no problem for me

I think yes you can chroot into new system, I have never done it so will not search for you, maybe some other more experienced will tell you how to chroot, it is easy but I do not have it in my head.

Ok, thank's :slight_smile:

So it is easy:
When you finish your installation, do not reboot and open terminal
write there

sudo su
then
lsblk
it will show you your disks probably one of those will be sda2 (the biggest) as I have

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

then

pacman -Sy mhwd-chroot

click yes yes yes
then

mhwd-chroot

It should open another terminal and you should be in your newly installed Manjaro, where you write

sudo pacman -Syyu linux54-broadcom-wl

yes yes yes wait wait
I just did it in VM
when done write exit enter and second terminal same exit and enter reboot and cross fingers

tutotial is here
it is here read it at the end there is somethng writen what you will probably need to do

Hello, I just installed Manjaro-GNOME in dualboot with MacOS, I installed from the local file the driver that seems recommended, but it doesn't work. I restarted the computer, but no Wi-Fi connection is possible. In the network settings only bluetooth is proposed.
The command inxi -Fxzc0 gives me the same result as already posted.

How do I do it?

[EDIT :
I tried to install the package: broadcom-wl-dkms-6.30.223.271-7-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst, but it requires the dkms expense, and I can only find a file ending in .xz from this site: https://manjaro.moson.eu/stable/extra/x86_64/.

And I can't install from this .xz file, how can I do it?

[EDIT 2
When I try pacman -U /waytomayfile/dkms.xz I get : Unrecognized archive format. Is it the root of the problem in order to install a *.xz file ?

I do not use dkms I do not even know what it is as I wrote above I installed linux55-broadcom-wl

It didn't work on my computer. Once installed and rebooted, no wifi network option was proposed.

I am lost now I have same chip and it works on my MacBook.

Okay, for the record, wi-fi works with the DKMS driver. I didn't manage to install it offline, I was able to connect via bluetooth sharing from an android phone.

And this post saved me: Broadcom wifi driver fails to install properly
In particular, I had to install the linux-headers, which I didn't do a priori.

Thanks anyway.

Just went through similar issue myself yesterday, first time installing anything on a macbook air (2015)

latest manjaro cinnamon, everything but wifi worked, it was loading broadcom-wl-dkms package for wifi.
It needed linux-rt-manjaro-broadcom-wl which is available from Add/Remove Software. This then removed the broadcom-wl-dkms and updated firmware (400mb or so).

Took me 4 hours to work out, yes I am new to Linux and even newer to Manjaro, also as I had no wifi on it, had to do the whole thing via bluetooth network to my phone as a hotspot.

If there is anything I can print out to add on here, let me know.

J

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by