[SOLVED] Mounting MTP Android Phone

Hey all,

I try to connect my phone to my laptop, installed is Manjaro OpenRC x64, latest updates.
I have installed the following packages and so far no success to connect with the phone:
mtpfs, gvfs-mtp, jmtpfs, libmtp, simple-mtpfs. When I use android-file-transfer to connect, I receive the error: No MTP device found. When using gmtp, the error is: “Detect: Unable to open raw device?”
With Thunar the same: Unable to open MTP device.
When I use the terminal, the mounting works without error, but the folder is just empty.
I looked a lot for resolutions, but most of them don’t apply for the Manjaro OpenRC Version.
Does anyone have a solution for that? Or is there a kind of “Android Browser” for Manjaro OpenRC?
Thanks a lot
KuL786G

1 Like

i either

a: set the phone to use mass storage, which will mount it like any usb sotrage device, or

b: use the remote manager in es file explorer to make the phone an ftp server within my lan and ftp to it from my desktop.

Maybe this might be helpful?

2 Likes

Thanks for your answers,

I’ll setup a SSH server on the phone. Not the best solution, but MTP seems to be a
pain in the a… :slight_smile:

mtp works with mine - but I have to enable developer options or set the phone to accept it first as far as I remember.

I installed SSH server on my phone and its working OK. But for browsing pictures and
files, it’s not really comfortable.
So I just tested @cimarronline solution.
I added my username to the adbusers group (android-udev is installed), restarted the
laptop with the phone connected. When fully started, disconnect and
re-connect device to the laptop and it's working!
Thanks a lot for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes and thank you all, the solution via @cimmaronline is working here too.

For those like me who didn't instantly know how to add a username to a group, the hint is that you'll be using usermod: figured that out from here.

The solution also makes it possible for me to finally again mount up my non-Android (Nikon) non-phone (just a camera), with a few caveats.

In this case I have to make sure the camera is both plugged in, and turned on, before rebooting--and it doesn't remember the camera after the first time like it does with the phone--the reboot with it in/on has to happen each time for it to be recognized. If you "boot into the camera", and then unplug it and plug it back in, still no love.

There's probably a solution there, too, but officially speaking I am not hijacking a solved thread to ask for one. :innocent: Honestly I can live with the inconvenience, now that I know what to do.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by