[SOLVED] Mouse acceleration

My mouse acceleration does not work well. I'm using a Logitech USB receiver and a Logitech wireless ball mouse. As you can see, I have it set to maximum acceleration, yet it is sluggish and does not seem to accelerate at all, really. Previously I tried setting some things using xset but I can't get them to work in Manjaro. Ideas? Do I need to edit my Xorg configuration as described on the Arch Linux wiki?

System: Host: Manjaro Kernel: 4.10.4-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.1) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.31)
Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-890GPA-UD3H BIOS: Award v: F2 date: 02/11/2011
CPU: Hexa core AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 39795
clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 800 MHz 4: 800 MHz 5: 800 MHz 6: 800 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4290] bus-ID: 01:05.0
Display Server: X.org 1.19.3 driver: radeon tty size: 151x25 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:05.1
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-3 Tenx driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 007-002
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.4-1-MANJARO
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8168 v: 8.043.02-NAPI port: ce00 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 1c:6f:65:c8:d5:e5
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2400.5GB (1.0% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD4000AAJB size: 400.1GB temp: 30C
ID-2: /dev/sdc model: WDC_WD10EARS size: 1000.2GB temp: 31C
ID-3: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EVDS size: 1000.2GB temp: 32C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 916G used: 16G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc1
ID-2: /boot size: 366G used: 145M (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-3: /home size: 916G used: 5.2G (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
ID-4: swap-1 size: 0.66GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 25.5C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 202 Uptime: 27 min Memory: 1081.4/15546.0MB Init: systemd Gcc sys: 6.3.1
Client: Shell (sudo) inxi: 2.3.8
</>

@shwaybotx If you can't do any good with the GUI then head for the/a Xorg config file. The ArchWiki is on most topics our friend.

1 Like

Thank you, Handy. Have been fiddling with Xorg configuration as per Arch forums. No luck yet but I'm tenacious. Do you think I should join the Arch forums?

@shwaybotx All I can say is that if you do join the Arch forums, do not under any circumstances tell them that you are using Manjaro. As if you do; & you had started a thread, then it will be closed quicker than you thought possible. If you make a post in another thread, then you WILL receive a great deal of strong negative feedback.

The Arch forum is for providing Arch distro support only.

Don't ever forget that.

Beyond that, you can use the Arch forum to your advantage, just as (with far, far greater leniency) Arch (or any other distro) users may use the Manjaro forum. :wink:

2 Likes

Try this:

sudo ln -s /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

Restart after making the link.

If it doesn't work revert the change with:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
4 Likes

Wow. Thank you @handy ! Weird, because I found out about Manjaro by browsing around on the Arch website. I'll keep that in mind. Since I'm not only new to Manjaro but new to the whole Arch family (came from the Debian branches and before that the RPM branches), would it be in good taste to discuss why those people don't like Manjaro?

@Mel Thank you so much! That exactly did the trick. I even bookmarked your post because it completely solved my mouse problem. I will now mark this thread as solved, thanks to you!

There's a checkbox at the bottom of each post to mark a post as solution.
Mark the post that solved your problem. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There's a checkbox at the bottom of each post to mark a post as solution.
Mark the post that solved your problem.

@Mel I'm confused. What check marK? Take a look. This what I see. V

http://www.pictures.se/bilder/FnDhM.png

It should be at the bottom of each individual post in the thread as opposed to the bottom of the OP. And it should look something like this:

1 Like

Gotcha. Thank you.

BTW in my original post when I posted my system specs I notice the above. How hot is too hot?

Minor point - and should have said it in my previous post above, but it's best to tick the post that supplied the answer, as checking the box actually makes the content of that post appear at the bottom of the OP so others looking for the same solution can see it more clearly/quickly.

With post 10 checked - it looks a bit ...confusing. :grin:

Most devices are designed to operate up to much higher temperatures such as 60C to 80C, so 30-32 is very normal. That looks like it would be close to their idling (negligible disk activity) temperatures.

2 Likes

I'm still learning. Each forum I use has different software! Thanks.[quote="Eboracus, post:13, topic:20608"]
30-32 is very normal. That looks like it would be close to their idling (negligible disk activity) temperatures.
[/quote]

Got it. Thanks.

@shwaybotx It is in the Arch forum rules that no other distro will be supported. Some Arch users are nasty to those that make the mistake of breaking any of the Arch rules (such people exist in all walks of life). Re. the Arch mods & such, they will just shut down the illegal thread & state that it is against the rules.

Idle chat about Manjaro & other Arch based spins generally won't go too far without trouble either. From my observations I'd say that immaturity is generally behind such trouble.

Just the way it is.

The vast majority of the Arch folk are terrific people without any of the elitist sh*t, it just takes a few to make the rest seem as though they are all like that.

So if you use that forum & you do have a Manjaro problem, don't mention Manjaro.

I hope I've answered your question. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @handy

No, the Arch Forums are for posting about problems with Arch Linux, pure and simple. Nothing precludes anyone from reading or referencing them.

We won't tell you to go away. :smiley:

Regards

1 Like

Please forgive my poor grammar @c00ter (I'll fix it.)

I know about Arch, I used it for years before moving to Manjaro in 2011. :wink:

2 Likes

@Mel thank you for ending my hours-long search for figuring out how to change the effing mouse sensitivity on an OS.

I wanted to add one important thing here for anyone else reading this. Applying @Mel's fix doesn't necessarily do anything on its own. What it does do is make the built-in Mouse settings dialog work.

So, first run @Mel's one-liner, and then use the Mouse settings to change your speed and acceleration as desired. Also, don't set the values to the minimum...weird things happen :slight_smile:

I'm currently using 0.1x for acceleration and 2 pixels for threshold, everything else default. It feels natural to me.

1 Like

The underlying issue is libinput is forced upon users and it's not in a workable state yet. Lots of work on libinput goes towards advanced stuff (like pressure sensitivity on touchpad devices), but it has glaring issues with basic stuff (like acceleration or properly reporting number of lines a mouse wheel scrolled). Like wayland, libinput, it's accompanying input library is in it's adolescence at best. No doubt some day it'll be bread and butter of Linux desktop, but that day has yet to come. I've previously advocated removing libinput, but that just caused issues with updating the system. Far more elegant solution is the oneliner you thanked me for. It basically tells X to prioritize evdev, which is a tried and tested input library, while keeping libinput installed on the system so it doesn't break any dependancies.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by