[SOLVED] NVIDIA PRIME synchronization

Just wanted to give this conversation a nudge because nvidia's prime sync is a heck of a lot faster than bumblebee in my testing and would result in increased framerates for all of the hybrid users of bumblebee. Yes, I'm aware there's a way to install it manually, but you're stuck without automatic and convenient switching between GPUs.

1 Like

I also need a better way to install Prime and switch between GPUs :frowning:

@asynec What are you currently using for a setup? What kind of hardware?

Its a Xiaomi Notebook Pro, with nVidia MX150 hybrid graphics, and an external 4k display. The Intel graphics aren't powerful enough to power the external display and the internal display without a lot of choppiness. I'm trying to get better performance in Gnome generally.

@ryanmusante

For a long time I use manjaro on pc with a great pleasure. I also has a notebook with a hybrid video card and only that stops me from installing the manjaro. I hope for the soonest implementation of NVIDIA PRIME in MANJARO! Thank you!

4.15 fixes in the works for according to NVIDIA devlog forums.

1 Like

Hope we will soon see Nvidia prime in Manjaro settings manager

2 Likes

Have you been affected by this bug (MX150) [Stable Update] 2018-05-17 - GCC8, Gimp, KDE, Gnome, Deepin, Firefox ?

I'm still using same nvidia prime synch configuration, no problems with latest driver [980M]. Although it isn't perfect, still some spamming in journalctl various messages. I've posted on nvidia devtalk forums without any luck. Either their linux dev team is understaffed or their priorities are on too many other things.

You're on MX150 and having problems?

Yeah, I am curous whether @asynec is still on manjaro and how is the MX150 performance in his case...

In mine, installing bumblebee disables composition in both accelmethods.

@lf_araujo It appears he/she is since it states 2 days ago last posted.

I'm looking forward to the release of Acer Switch 7 black edition, it comes with MX150. It's the first fanless "gaming" capable laptop.
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/switch7blackedition

Hi there, yep, I am still on Manjaro.
I was unaware of that issue in the update until you brought it up here... Everything has been working normally for me, but I don't think I have actually updated to the latest bumblebee driver. I'm open to trying it though.

Screenshot%20from%202018-05-23%2011-01-26

Thank you, I have been trying to debug this. What happens is that whenever I install a new kernel, bumblebee works until next reboot. All files within /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ seems ok and changes to these files does not alter the result: blinking prompt, black screen.

Which kernel version are you using when you experience that? I have not tried progressing beyond the 4.14 LTS kernel recently, but I do remember when I first tried 4.15, I had an issue where my external display couldn't be seen by the laptop. I found that if I shut the computer down completely instead of rebooting, the issue seemed to resolve temporarily, which I used to downgrade the kernel to 4.14. That was a while ago though.

Followed the directions and didn't have any issues. *had to do some research and self education, but no issues.
One question. How do you switch between igpu and dgpu after this is configured as the usual prime-select commands won't be present? Sorry if this is a stupid question or if I'm missing something completely obvious. *I tend to do that...For example do these procedures setup the nvidia to be used all the time with no way to switch?
(would be a solution for me:)

Came back on the latest download of KDE Manjaro, followed the exact same steps and ended up with no display :frowning:

I hope you set the display-setup script for sddm instead of lightdm for the KDE Manjaro. We can help if you give us a little more details. Regarding the switching between igpu and dgpu, is there a particular reson you dont want to use the dgpu? Because there are ways to switch but I am sure most are inconvenient. If you want convenient switching of gpus maybe you should consider using bumblebee instead.

I'm trying to do this too, but I can't figure out exactly where to put the little script with the xrandr calls - for LightDM.

It doesn't have the same directory/config structure as SDDM - it's all in /etc/lightdm. There's an Xsession file you could modify, but in the lightdm.conf file, there's a bunch of places you can call an external script... before the greeter, before the login, etc. I just don't know which one.

I've learned a lot working in Manjaro, but it's tedious having to reset things to get out of a boot loop.

There's a more up-to-date #technical-issues-and-assistance:tutorials topic here:

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by