[SOLVED] R8153 USB-Ethernet adapter speed dropped to 100Mbit

Hi,

I have this Anker USB-Hub/Ethernet Adapter (Realtek r8153/8152) and after a bit of startup problems which where resolved by tlp-blacklisting it, it worked just fine for a view days.
Yesterday out of (seemlingly) nowhere the connection dropped from 1000Mbit/s to 100mbit/s.

Tried to force it to 1Gbit with

sudo ethtool -s enn0s20u1u3 speed 1000 duplex full

but it fails to estalish a connection

Nothing on the Hardware (cable, switch etc.) was changed.

ethtool ouput is this:

Settings for enp0s20u1u3:
    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
    Supported pause frame use: No
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Supported FEC modes: Not reported
    Advertised link modes:  100baseT/Full
    Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
    Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                         100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                         1000baseT/Full
    Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
    Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: MII
    PHYAD: 32
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
    Wake-on: g
    Current message level: 0x00007fff (32767)
                   drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err tx_queued intr tx_done rx_status pktdata hw wol
    Link detected: yes

inix -Nxxi for this device is:

  Device-3: Realtek RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter type: USB driver: r8152 bus ID: 3-1.3:5 chip ID: 0bda:8153
           IF: enp0s20u1u3 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:e0:4c:00:01:51

Is it possible that it is somehow related to USB-Power? I tried to plug and unplug two USB devices (Wacom Tablet and StreamDeck Mini) during testing and at one point the deices didn't "boot"/power-up proberly. I tried lsusb -v|egrep "^Bus|MaxPower" and the worked again.

And now that I think of (but cannot tell for sure if correlated), I installed "autofs" yesterday.

You could try the r8152-dkms driver from the AUR.

I would advise installing this driver on kernel 4.19.

Install kernel 4.19 (if not already installed):

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux419

Reboot into kernel 4.19.

The following command will install the linux-headers automatically for all installed kernels:

sudo pacman -S $(pacman -Qsq "^linux" | grep "^linux[0-9]*[-rt]*$" | awk '{print $1"-headers"}' ORS=' ')

Ensure the required dependencies are also installed:

sudo pacman -S dkms git base-devel glibc --needed

If you do not already have an AUR helper enabled on your system then install pamac-cli.

sudo pacman -S pamac-cli

Reboot into kernel 4.19.

Install the r8152-dkms driver from the AUR:

pamac build r8152-dkms

Then issue:

sudo depmod -a && sudo mkinitcpio -P

Restart.



To be honest I am not too experienced with kernel up/down-grades.
According to neofetch I am at kernel 5.4.24 right now.
Are there any to be expected side effects?

Is there a possibility to install the r81152-dkms in my running kernel?
I tried to install this AUR-Package but ran into a missing Header-issue, since its built for Arch and not Manjaro.

I appreciate you advice, but since it already worked pretty well for a while I would prefer to get to the actual cause if it stopping to work, before turning to a general solution.

Is there some log, where ethernet connection parameters are logged?
A brief look at /var/log/ wasn't to helpfull.

Also did a

dmesg | grep enp0s20

[32997.738683] r8152 3-1.3:1.0 enp0s20u1u3: carrier off
[33049.101472] r8152 3-1.3:1.0 enp0s20u1u3: carrier on
[33986.298463] r8152 3-1.3:1.0 enp0s20u1u3: renamed from eth0
[34001.873774] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp0s20u1u3: link becomes ready
[34001.874086] r8152 3-1.3:1.0 enp0s20u1u3: carrier on
[35591.995182] r8152 3-1.3:1.0 enp0s20u1u3: carrier off
[35639.286441] r8152 3-1.3:1.0 enp0s20u1u3: carrier on
[35647.293493] r8152 3-1.3:1.0 enp0s20u1u3: carrier off
[35695.541771] r8152 3-1.3:1.0 enp0s20u1u3: carrier on
[35848.826549] r8152 3-1.3:1.0 enp0s20u1u3: carrier off
[36033.958260] r8152 3-1.3:1.0 enp0s20u1u3: carrier on
[38081.480421] r8152 3-1.3:1.0 enp0s20u1u3: carrier off
[38185.360666] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp0s20u1u3: link becomes ready
[38185.362362] r8152 3-1.3:1.0 enp0s20u1u3: carrier on

Could it be an IPv6 related issue?

Be sure your wired NIC speed to set auto-negotiation:

Right click over the network icon in your system tray.

Select "Configure Network Connections" from the menu.

Select the network connection you wish to connect to from the list on the left.

Then select your wired network connection's "wired" tab on the right side.

Below there is check box to set "Allow auto-negotiation".

Then, reboot.

Interesting: after the normal weekly system-update (including a kernel update) it works just fine again.
I noticed though, that the nm-applet had auto-negotiation on "ignored".

Thanks for you help never-the less

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by