[SOLVED] System hang when using mhwd on Entroware Kratos

I have bought a new Laptop Entroware Kratos, with CPU: i7 8750H GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 4GB link - https://www.entroware.com/store/kratos

After installing Manjaro i3 (I had to install free drivers, or it'd hang on boot) I have discovered that any method of installing the proprietary Nvidia driver with mhwd hangs the system (I've tried the GUI (which hangs as soon as I click graphics), TUI, and CLI methods. I managed to install video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee using the b menu (Mod+Ctl+B on i3) but after restarting, it hangs on startup.

I followed this Nvidia installation guide https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Configure_NVIDIA_(non-free)_settings_and_load_them_on_Startup during driver installation however running inxi -G freezes the terminal, however the system remains functional.

I have looked at other posts I've come across, such as adding boot parameters (pci=no msi, acpi_osi= and acpi_osi=Windows, and some others, I can't recall them right now).
These are 2 other posts I've followed - Manjaro hangs at mhwd command and Graphic driver freezes booting

I've also noticed that the system hangs on shutdown (it unmounts partitions first as I don't get errors on next boot) prior to installing the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee, but once it's installed it shuts down properly.

I have being using Manjaro i3 on my main machine for about a year now, so I'd prefer to use it on my laptop for the sake of consistency, but I'm running out of ideas.

Any further information will be given on request, I can't think of anything else relevant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance.

It's brand new, and they support Linux, it's a fair question to direct to customer support first to see what their advice is. Surely someone on staff uses something as alternative to Ubuntu.

what is your journalctl -b 0 -p 3 output?

Perhaps try an install method that uses the newer kernel than the LTS.

@ryanmusante

That was my first port of call, I contacted them about it and they suggested running sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee which hung the terminal besides that, they couldn't help any futher

journalctl -b 0 -p 3 output is

Sep 27 12:26:57 stephen-Kratos kernel: ACPI Error: [_SB_.PCI0.RP05.PXSX] Namespace lookup failure, AE_>
Sep 27 12:26:57 stephen-Kratos kernel: ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20170>
Sep 27 12:26:57 stephen-Kratos kernel: ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PCI0.RP04.PXSX, >
Sep 27 12:26:57 stephen-Kratos kernel: ACPI Error: [_SB_.PCI0.RP09.PXSX] Namespace lookup failure, AE_>
Sep 27 12:26:57 stephen-Kratos kernel: ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20170>
Sep 27 12:26:57 stephen-Kratos kernel: ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PCI0.RP08.PXSX, >
Sep 27 12:26:57 stephen-Kratos kernel: ACPI Error: [_SB_.PCI0.RP13.PXSX] Namespace lookup failure, AE_>
Sep 27 12:26:57 stephen-Kratos kernel: ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PCI0.RP12.PXSX, >
Sep 27 12:26:57 stephen-Kratos kernel: ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, Evaluating _PRS (20170728/pci_lin>
Sep 27 12:26:57 stephen-Kratos kernel: ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, Evaluating _PRS (20170728/pci_lin>
Sep 27 12:26:57 stephen-Kratos kernel: iTCO_wdt iTCO_wdt: can't request region for resource [mem 0x00c>
Sep 27 12:27:00 stephen-Kratos kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: bus: MMIO read of 00000000 FAULT at 40980>
Sep 27 12:27:02 stephen-Kratos kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: gr: init failed, -16
Sep 27 12:27:20 stephen-Kratos kernel: [drm:intel_pipe_update_end [i915]] *ERROR* Atomic update failur>
Sep 27 12:27:58 stephen-Kratos kernel: [TTM] Buffer eviction failed
Sep 27 12:28:13 stephen-Kratos kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: failed to idle channel 0 [DRM]
Sep 27 12:28:13 stephen-Kratos kernel: BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffff9b7f22b67100
Sep 27 12:28:13 stephen-Kratos kernel: IP: evo_wait+0x56/0x120 [nouveau]
Sep 27 12:28:13 stephen-Kratos kernel: RIP: evo_wait+0x56/0x120 [nouveau] RSP: ffffc0d041047c70

That's a fair few errors, I don't quite understand it, but I'll read up on them while I'm trying to figure it out

@tbg
it's installed at the moment, would switching kernel on the current install work do you think? I usually run 4.18, so I'll try installing that one.
If not, do you know of any ISO's that use a newer kernel? I thought they all ran the LTS one?

Thanks for the help guys!

Download one of the beta's - they are on 4.18.

1 Like

Ah, great! I've got that downloading now! Thanks

1 Like

I'm still having the same issues, Sorry its taken so long to respond.

recent update: I installed Bumblebee as per this Reddit article I installed the 4.18 version of bumblebee, then restarted the system, which booted fine, then I added myself to the bumblebeed group, and after another restart the 4.18 kernel will no longer boot, hanging straight after it sets the terminal font! luckily I set another kernel prior to this, and I can still boot into the spare one, in this case 4.14, so if there's any additonal logs you need, I should be able to retrieve them

If you have any other idea's I can try, it'd be appreciated

Thank you!

You should use mhwd to install and remove video drivers on Manjaro.

Whatever manual process you used you should carefully undo first, not doing so could conflict with mhwd profiles and settings, thus a non booting system.

inxi -Fxxxz
mwhd -li

Some Optimus systems require certain acpi kernel parameters to work.

Mhwd doesn't support Prime, here are instructions on how to manually install and set it up, if you prefer this over bumblebee.

That's my preferred method anyway, but as I mentioned in the original post, all the mhwd methods hang the system, I've tried the GUI, TUI (through the b-menu on i3) and CLI methods, the GUI won't even open the Graphics menu, TUI seems to work, but hangs on restart before I add myself to the bumblebeed group (I'm not sure if it adds automatically)

inxi -Fxxxz and mhwd -li both get stuck at the terminal, they are still responsive, but they don't do anything else
while looking at these processes in htop, mhwd -li and inxi -Fxxxz shows (what I assume is) Status - Down (in the S column they display D)

I've tried all the ACPI kernel parameters I've found through searching, with no change, the system hangs at the same point, however with the live USB it manages to get to Started TLP system startup/shutdown before freezing

I don't really have a preference as I haven't managed to get it working yet, although, I'll give PRIME a shot, see if I make progress that way

Thank you for trying to help, I'll update you on progress with PRIME

Can you boot into a live environment? You may well have borked your installed system with all the manual config stuff.

Try the latest 18.0 rc ISO, which includes 4.19 kernel, sometimes new systems require the latest kernel.

Also, you could try installing video-linux through mhwd simply to get your system booting. At least this would confirm your non booting is nvidia optimus related.

Hi, sorry I missed this reply

I can boot into a live environment with no issues, however I've reinstalled multiple times after having this issue with bumblebee

I have just reinstalled from the 18.0 ISO, after trying to install PRIME from the link you provided, I think it works?
I've run $ glxinfo | grep -i vendor after following the instructions and it displays
server glx vendor string: SGI client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center (0x8086) OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
I assume that means I'm running off the Intel CPU?

If so Thanks! you've been a great help!

Well, I can shut down and boot up successfully without the system hanging, so I'm going to call it a success! Thank you for your help

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by