SOLVED - Update broke system

Hi All,

My latest update broke my system. This isn't the first time it happens but this time I would like to be able to save it... understand more about it during the process also!

At the moment I'm unable to even access a CLI on the system... after the initial GRUB menu it just passes by several lines of info and hangs on a screen with some info regarding the system (hardware I think).

And that's it... if I can I'll post some pictures of it...

I'm already preparing a USB stick with manjaro on it but I would appreciate some guidance on the next steps...

Thanks! Cheers,
Joaquim

Did you try to get to command prompt

Booting to command prompt from Grub

At Manjaro Grub menu use the keyboard to hit E to edit the kernel boot line.
In the grub editor look for the line beginning with linux, it should look like this.
linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.11-x86_64 root=UUID=0a01099a-1e33-489a-a2de-10104e8492f5 rw quiet

Back space over quiet and then add a 3 like below

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.11-x86_64 root=UUID=0a01099a-1e33-489a-a2de-10104e8492f5 rw 3

Then use F10 key to boot and if lucky you end up at a command prompt where you can log in with your normal user and start to try to fix things.

Also see here for more tips How to provide good information in your posts

Hi and Thank you anika200 for your answer.

I tried getting to the command prompt via Crtl+Alt+F2 but to no avail on that "Kernel panic" screen...

I followed your suggestion (removing quiet and using a 3) and did a reboot but no luck there... However, I did notice that I had an older kernel installed (4.9...) and using that one I can log into my machine and all is well...

So there's some issue with the new kernel and my machine... I'll probably delete the new kernel and keep the old one for now...

Still I would like to know more! Should I mark this as solved?

1 Like

Yep sometimes the new kernels do not work for everybody, mark as solved. Good Job :grin:

1 Like

Done!

Thanks anika200!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by