(Solved) Upgrading to KDE 5.19 from 5.18.5 breaks KDE

I have KDE 5.18.5 running on stable branch and decided to switch to testing to upgrade to KDE 5.19.x. After the upgrade, KDE hangs on the splash screen. I tried Ctl+Alt+F2 and killed Xorg, by killing sddm service and then type the command 'plasmashell' or even 'plasmashell --version', I get the following error

qt.qpa.xcb: couldn't connect to display segmentation fault (core dumped)

Any ideas on how to fix this? I reinstalled libxcb and qt5-base, but they didn't help. Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Switching_Branches

boot on USB iso manjaro
go in chroot

sudo manjaro-chroot -a
pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch Stable 
pacman -Syyuu
exit ( quit chroot )

Hi. I want to stay on 5.19.x and resolve this issue. I'm sure when stable gets these packages, I'll have the same issue. I faced the same issue when updating from 5.18.x to 5.19.x on an Arch based VM.

Have you updated in the TTY?

I was finally above to resolve the issue. Looked at the ~/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log and saw the following error:

/usr/bin/kwin_x11: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkwin.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZNK14KWaylandServer22XdgShellPopupInterface7surfaceEv

This suggested a Kwin issue. Then, I realised that I could open other windows when the splash screen hangs. Trying kwin-x11 command also threw the same error as above. Ended up forcefully uninstalling kwayland and kwayland-server packages, reinstalling plasma and it resolved the issue.

The root cause seems to be that I somehow had kwayland related packages mixed from git and manjaro repos, mostly likely due to installing kwin-lowlatency from git.

2 Likes

I hat the same issue after updating.
I only had to install kwayland-server from offical repos which removed the git version installed from kwin-lowlatency.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by