Sorry Nvidia, but your drivers s**k :(

I am no starting any flame war here, nor want to get agnist anyone on this forum or the Linux comm, but
I have using Linux and Manjaro for some time, and I must say "it is the bomb" !!
I mean, it really is great!
Fast, reliable, stable, all you can want
really Great

But
When I am trying (Tried) using Nvidia latest drivers (stable or unstable, you name it), as the saying goes "all hell loose free"

Bugs
Glitehces, blak screen, screen not coming back from lock, kernel panic and so on
nothing but misery :frowning:

Now, I have tried all, using the manjaro mhwd (a great util!), both the GUI and the CLI, I have manually configure the xorg.conf
I have used the nvidia-settings for the xorg.conf
No matter what I did, the system wasn't as good as using the free drivers

so, for now I am keeping the free ones, they are stable, fast and seem to do the work, but I really hope that one day as an Nvidia user (who said a brand new 2080TI one day?! :wink: ) I will be able to use latest driver without any issue

I really hope that someone in the Linux comm or Nvidia pick the glove and fix all issues (I know I am not the only one, all the web is full with compliments like this, just use google and see)

This is not flaming. Nvidia may make great video cards, but unless you game they are not worth the trouble in Linux. This is not a shortcoming of Linux. It is that nvidia will not cooperate with the Linux community to improve Linux support.

Go AMD in the future as they provide support for Linux.

8 Likes

there won't be any change as Nvidia does not care about opensource or the Linux ecosystem at all.
All they do is publish their closed-source crap.

If you want to have great drivers, go AMD, they do full open source since 2015 and work together with the Linux community. And their cards are also good - and now that the mining hype is finally over, also cheaper than Ngreedia.

Edit: and for the gaming perfomance: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-amd-20180828&num=3
The Vega cards still receive perfomance patches in mesa and Kernel, so they can actually get faster than in those benchmarks. After all, the Vega64 is already available for a lower price than a Geforce 1070 here.

2 Likes

Too bad I already have Nvidia :frowning: I hear good things about ATI and Linux all the time, and really bad things about Nvidia :frowning:

/etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf ?

That is what I'm plan on doing with my next video card. Right now which AMD card would be a good replacement for a GeForce GTX 970?

Of course, switching to AMD would be a great plan if they actually made high performance hardware.

Their top of the line VEGA 64 generally under-performs against the nvidia 1080 from 2016.

Please don't start providing help in a rant thread.

If OP wants help they can open another thread.

1 Like

Yes, I have changed this file too
"/etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf"

Go with jonathons advice and open a thread.

Also <insert famous Linus-nvidia-finger-pic/gif here>

1 Like

Thats not a thing anymore. :wink:

Careful there - ATI/Radeon drivers are still the only drivers available for older cards. While AMDGPU is awesome and Catalyst is deprecated (and seriously a no-go) the old reverse-engineered open drivers are some folks only option.

it's about: ATI.
Also only the xorg driver is called "ati", the kernel driver is radeon and nobody needs that xorg driver, thanks to modesettings (or wayland) :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, corrected, but it still stands that Catalyst is death, AMDGPU is preferred, but radeon/modesetting might be all you've got for an older card.

Even Linus himself gave his middle finger to Nvidia :joy:

Firstly, nvidia Linux support is shoddy at best. They simply don't care about Linux. It can take some tweaking (ie xorg config) to get it working properly.

Secondly, the nvidia driver is not Manjaro's driver, it is a proprietary blob. Nobody in the Linux community can assist in its development because it is closed source, unlike AMD drivers.

Thirdly, simply installing an nvidia driver doesn't guarantee it will boot and perform properly, it needs to be configured, which takes some learning and knowledge of your individual system. Mhwd provides some default settings, but this may need modification depending on your system.

Lastly, if you have an Optimus laptop then it is doubtful you will be able to solely use the nvidia driver at all. Some laptops you can disable the intel gpu and make nvidia the primary gpu in BIOS, unfortunately most you cannot. Depends entirely on the manufacturer and their BIOS implementation.

Bottom line is to buy AMD for Linux systems.

3 Likes

Its open-source support is not shoddy but basically non existant.
Their closed source drivers are good though.

Really? Haven't done any configuring in years, except for setting up a fixed multi-monitor setup.

I can understand the criticism when it comes to open source and good Linux support, but saying their closed source drivers are bad is not universally true.

I haven't had a major problem in over 12 years with nvidia drivers...that includes Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, Manjaro and even FreeBSD.

Dual-graphics are awful though.

I was going to say I haven't had any issues with Nvidia cards or drivers since I start using them either. That said, I do wish that they would provide FOSS drivers instead of closed.

2 Likes

Funny title, informative notes.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by