Spotify on ARM64

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with either Spotify nor the makers of Ncspot. I just want to help folks out :wink:

Getting spotify to work on my raspberry pi has been bit of a pain. There isn't an arm x64 compiled version available for as far as I know, nor does the browser version work for me.
I'm not posting here to ask questions though (I'm all ears if you have working versions of the real apps though) as I have actually gotten a really neat spotify-client working! I wanted to use this forum post to help you get started to (if you are running Manjaro on an ARM64 system).

The player that I found works really well is "Ncspot"... It is however limited to premium spotify accounts only (since spotify blocks api access to their audio for non-premium members).

(screenshot taken on my Raspberry Pi4 running Manjaro with KDE)

Installation seems to be super simple (all in the terminal/konsole though):

• Install the snap package manager using sudo pacman -S snapd
  • reboot your pi/computer or log out and in (snapd pacakges are added to your path on system login)
  • execute sudo snap install ncspot
  • start ncspot by typing ncspot in your console. upon opening the first time, you'll be prompted to log in through either Facebook or your Spotify account
  • press "?" with the terminal-based app open to reveal instructions, "backspace" to go back and "q" to quit.

links to things mentioned:

Edit:
It seems that ncspot is also available in the Arch Community repositories (aka AUR). As my manjaro OS runs on an arm64 raspberry pi I was hesitant to open my distro up to the scary wide world that AUR brings when you toggle it on (the ncspot snap package was just a tad cleaner because it would install one package in a folder that i could easily install if i choose to get rid of snap later). But if you want to install ncspot using pacman follow the following steps:

• Open up your manjaro build-in app-store GUI ("install or remove software")
  • Go to the application's settings
  • Go to the AUR tab and toggle it on
  • Open an terminal and execute pacman -Syy to update your local list of available software
  • Execute pacman -S ncspot

Alternatively (and this is how I actually installed ncspot initially), you can build ncspot yourself by following the instructions on https://github.com/hrkfdn/ncspot

2 Likes

spotify-tui apparently works as well if you compile it with rust yourself, since they don't provide an ARM package.

1 Like

ncspot and ncspot-git are also available in the AUR if you're not a snaps person.

1 Like

I tried it just now. Looks really neat!
The only problem is that spotify-tui looks like a remote-control. The app itself doesn't play music, but controls other devices with the official spotify app open.

From the looks of their page however it seems that spotify-tui is compatible with spotifyd https://github.com/Rigellute/spotify-tui#using-with-spotifyd. I'll mess with that a bit :wink:

Thanks for the share!

Just remember to use build spotifyd with the pulseaudio plugin, since Manjaro uses pulseaudio. By default it only builds with Alsa. spotifyd-full in AUR compiles with pulseaudio support. Unfortunately, the spotifyd-bin-full one doesn't, per the comments at least.

Edit: Also, one of the ways spotifyd authenticates your account is unfortunately via plain text in the config file. But you only need to let it authenticate once, and spotify will send a token to spotifyd. You can remove your username and password from the config file after this.

Or you can use the other password options.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I just got this running on my pinebook in which I was desperately missing spotify.

This is an important topic given the lack of an official client for arm64 and I noticed Spotifyd was added to the repo in the latest testing update for Manjaro ARM which will make things easier. Thanks to those responsible!

Another alternative to ncspot and spotify-tui is spotify-qt. This is only in AUR for x64 devices but I followed the instructions on the github page and it built without any issues on my Pinebook Pro.

It has a nice clean interface and there's no need to remember keyboard shortcuts, it is based on spotify--tui so can be used to play locally or via a spotify connect device on your network.

Can also be used with chromium dockers package.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by