[Stable Update] 2016-10-09 - Kernels, Manjaro Tools, Deepin, NM, LibreOffice, Steam

It's ok I see why - I will remove Pluma as the notepad and then check again

Regards Zeb...

edit: Sorted - update now installed just fine

oooh... ok.. it's not pacman that do that.... it's yaourt.
with yaourt -Syyu
it sort package updates by group.

• package change only
  • new version
  • add package.

I thought pacman was doing it too. :wink:

[stephane@MyMacbook-Manjaro ~]$ yaourt -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                                               138.7 KiB  1387K/s 00:00 [###########################################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                                             1923.6 KiB  8.95M/s 00:00 [###########################################################################] 100%
 community                                                                                            4.0 MiB  9.80M/s 00:00 [###########################################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                                                           193.4 KiB  27.0M/s 00:00 [###########################################################################] 100%

==> Software upgrade (new version) :
core/wpa_supplicant     1:2.5-3    -> 1:2.6-1
extra/python-setuptools 1:28.1.0-1 -> 1:28.3.0-1

==> Continue upgrade ? [Y/n]
==> [V]iew package detail   [M]anually select packages
==> --------------------------------------------------
1 Like

Ok... pacman -S --force cuda :frowning:

Thanks for that very usefull tip

Regards Zeb...

Absolutely astonishing that running update could throw the system to a black screen&blinking cursor. What is going on here?

edit:
Oct 09 14:36:14 worker kernel: EXT4-fs (sda3): unable to read superblock

extremely worrying, but everything seems to work normally after reboot. Not very confidence inspiring.

OBS Studio broken: obs: error while loading shared libraries: libx265.so.87: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

also had qtchooser removed and ended up not with a black screen but with heavy graphic failure (extremely distorted, somewhat like damaged vram). TTY and reboot seems to have solved it though ^^
Running 4.6 if that makes any difference.

Do not update CUDA, FFMPEG2.8, x265 if you need to use openshot or OBS Studio.... These breaks these softwares

I recevied the message about qtchooser, too. I typed y to get it removed. I lost the mouse after the update. After a reboot, everthing seems to run smoothly. So all in all the updated worked fine for me.

I do not have cuda. but openshot and OBS start fine with the latest x265 and ffmpeg 2.8 here.

I also received the option to replace qtchooser with qt5-base, and I also lost the mouse after the update, and after rebooting I was able to login okay then got a blank screen. Had to hard shutdown via long power button press.

Cold boot and things look okay, more testing required.

One thing, my resolv.conf seems to have been clobbered. When I rebooted my network connection would not establish. Initially I thought this might have been a Network Manager issue as this was updated. From an old backup I replaced my resolv.conf and network connections (wireless and vpn) established as normal. Lucky I had the old backup to replace it with.

Why would this happen, I thought the resolv.conf was a generated file, has this update changed that process?

EDIT: Looks like my resolv.conf's attributes might have changed as it looks like it cannot be written to. Huh?

[manjaro@msi]$ ll /etc/resolv.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Oct  8 12:58 /etc/resolv.conf -> ../usr/lib/systemd/resolv.conf
[manjaro@msi]$ ll /usr/lib/systemd/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 101 Oct  9 12:59 /usr/lib/systemd/resolv.conf
[manjaro@msi]$ su
Password:                                                                                                  
[root@msi]# ll /usr/lib/systemd/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 101 Oct  9 12:59 /usr/lib/systemd/resolv.conf                                       

What changed this? systemd upgrade?

I've updated another machine and the same happened, a black screen and I had to open a TTY to reboot
But...I watched the update process and it seems like it went black while updating systemd.

Ok requires a rebuild of some AUR

Same black screen here while updating systemd but everything seems to work normally after reboot.

Another smooth update, system and apps running fine. Many thanks Manjaro Team :smiley:

I got the black screen as reported above, and it took out my machine. Fortunately I have a backup strategy and redid it.

This is what I did.

1. upgrade all apart from the two systemd files.
  2. reboot machine
  3. upgrade just the two systemd files
  4. reboot again, and it should work without problems.

Almost a smooth update on two computers.

File conflict wih cuda (libOpenCL.so.1) but the file was not owned by any program so renaming it solved the update issue.
After a reboot, the computer appears to be running as expected.

On the second computer (TV box), during the update the comp dropped into shell. I had to manually reboot the computer.
It booted just fine but oktopi notifier was still showing that there are over 200 updates available. I removed the locked pacman data base file and rerun the update. It was smooth sailing after this.

I will update my work laptop later...

I experience an issue:

Manjaro i3 - dell xps15-9550:

During the update xserver crashed, but restarted automatically. But since the latest update and switch to 4.8.1 my HDMI1 connected screen flickers.

output of my inxi -G:

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 530
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: intel
           Resolution: 1920x1080@59.93hz, 2560x1440@41.94hz, 2560x1440@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.3

Update:
I restarted into kernel 4.6.x and the problem seems to be resolved, so I assume a kernel related problem.

Update:
I also realized that pulse audio didn't work. I reinstalled install_pulse but I only see a 'dummy output device'.

Update:
I needed to remove pulse audio config files rm -rf .config/pulse to get it work.

I had the mouse pointer issue. I noticed that actually the pointer is not shown, but it still works (you can notice the highlighting effect of the mouse pointer)

Anyway works well after reboot. needs more testing, but for now :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

btw why is this not on the news page? and has linux dumped the LTS concept?

This is the first time an update failed for me, too.

I'm getting a Failed to mount /boot/efi message ....

Then "You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type journalctl -xb to view system logs." This gives me1283 lines of log. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it seems to be Apple related since I updated (or tried) on an iMac running only Manjaro.

Rebooting solves nothing. I keep getting the same messages:

"systemctl reboot" to reboot
"systemctl default" or ^D to try to boot into default mode

Nothing works.

Forum kindly sponsored by