[Stable Update] 2017-04-02 - Mesa-Stack, Kernels, Plasma, Firefox

The repository mirror you are now using is pointing to one that has not been updated. My guess is the update regenerated the mirror list when it updated pacman-mirrors. This should resolve itself when the mirror you are now using is updated.

I just Alt + F2 at blank screen (you should see system d 232? upper left corner I got stuck here and could not move any further) Got CLI User / Pass Thats all then I sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300 thats all i did, again i'm not an Expert .

1 Like

That worked for me.

1 Like

thanks alot.

First machine dropped to a terminal prompt on reboot, manually did -Syyu and we're back and running.

Not the case with a laptop that is stuck in a loop - shows the cursor for a split second, shows the terminal prompt and before you can type it goes back to a black screen and continues to loop from a cursor to a blackscreen.

Alt F2, Alt-Ctrl-F2, F1, F3 etc won't stop the black screen loop.

Any ideas? Never experienced this before...

EDIT (Solved):

• lsblk to see your drives
  • sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt the drive with your current Manjaro install
  • sudo chroot /mnt to mount the drive
  • sudo pacman -Syyu (update your system)
  • reboot and login

This got me out of the non-stop black screen boot loop. Hope it helps others.

Edit 2: On the last machine to update, went straight to terminal, typed: sudo pacman -Syyu and fast flawless update like a normal day in Manjaro town. (Wish I had done this with machine 1 and 2) :slight_smile:

OK, issue solved for me without an external boot stick. As said before, the system was repeatedly switching to console #7, but luckily every once in a while it took a break of ~5 seconds, during which my pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2 succeeded and I could type a few characters to log in and run

sudo pacman -S lib32-mesa

as earlier suggested by someone else. Once this had completed, the GUI login page appeared on console #7, and the repeated switching-concoles ceased.
I completed the system update from the console before rebooting the machine.

I did all this from the alternative boot entry (fallback initramfs) but it seems this did not make a difference - same should be possible from the black screen on default boot entry.

I am glad I had another old netbook at hand to follow the hints on this forum. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks it worked for me.

Edit: Now, system is getting dropped into an emergency shell.
After 'sudo pacman -Syyu’, system started normally.
But, after the reboot the system is now in emergency shell.

What should I do?

Sounds like something I had to do once to fix a mess I made with graphics driver :smile:

@themew, if you try again and again, you can type a few characters each time, and will eventually succeed.

I had to press Ctrl-Alt-F2 about 10 times until the console stayed for a moment, giving me a chance to type. All in all, I had to switch over 20 or 30 times until I had logged in, started the "sudo pacman ..." command, and confirmed password and all its yes/no prompts.

It's very tedious, but with patience you will succeed.

okaaay.. update didn't go through yet.. any sugestions? Don't want to mess around myself. Afraid to break my system again.

looking for conflicting packages...
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: mesa will be installed before its libglvnd dependency
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: lib32-mesa will be installed before its lib32-libglvnd dependency

__

(137/137) checking keys in keyring [####################################################################] 100%
(137/137) checking package integrity [####################################################################] 100%
(137/137) loading package files [####################################################################] 100%
(137/137) checking for file conflicts [####################################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libEGL.so exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1 exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1.0.0 exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGL.so exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGLESv1_CM.so exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGLESv1_CM.so.1 exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGLESv2.so exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGLESv2.so.2 exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGLESv2.so.2.0.0 exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libEGL.so exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libEGL.so.1 exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libEGL.so.1.0.0 exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGL.so exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGLESv1_CM.so exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGLESv1_CM.so.1 exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGLESv2.so exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGLESv2.so.2 exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGLESv2.so.2.0.0 exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
yaourt -Syu 6.28s user 0.81s system 45% cpu 15.418 total

before that I get this message:

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace pacman-mirrorlist with core/pacman-mirrors? [Y/n]

Update went fine.

I think that some people who have issues with the update process are updating their system using mirrors which is not completely synced yet. I'm not sure about this but it could be one of the possibility.

Edit:

Checking for updated/synced mirrors before updating.

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 10

More information, Pacman-Mirrors 4.1.0-dev.

@Manjaro-Team
Any ideas what causes the blank screen problem, and what people could do to avoid it?

Update went smoothly for me, no problems here. :grinning: Xfce, nvidia-proprietary, 4.10 kernel.

I usually update via terminal. Are the people having problems using pamac/octopi?

Update issue. Suggestions anyone?

(95/95) checking keys in keyring [#####################################################################################################] 100%
(95/95) checking package integrity [#####################################################################################################] 100%
(95/95) loading package files [#####################################################################################################] 100%
(95/95) checking for file conflicts [#####################################################################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libEGL.so exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1 exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1.0.0 exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGL.so exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGLESv1_CM.so exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGLESv1_CM.so.1 exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGLESv2.so exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGLESv2.so.2 exists in filesystem
libglvnd: /usr/lib/libGLESv2.so.2.0.0 exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libEGL.so exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libEGL.so.1 exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libEGL.so.1.0.0 exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGL.so exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGLESv1_CM.so exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGLESv1_CM.so.1 exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGLESv2.so exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGLESv2.so.2 exists in filesystem
lib32-libglvnd: /usr/lib32/libGLESv2.so.2.0.0 exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Thanks

almost exactly the same here. ... tried pacman and yaourt as well.

I will not update because of all of these problems. I am backing up all of my work to a DVD. Then, maybe I will update. Because I do a lot of programming using this distro, I cannot take a chance with this update. Way too many black screens for me.

@philm

People with file conflicts please read also this thread about the new Mesa-Stack. Also I'm currently uploading Manjaro v17.0.1, which includes this update aswell.

3 Likes

I took the first two updates before the full update and then shutdown. When I tried to start up later I got a message that said Could not start kdeinit5. I figured that the full update would repair that so I went into TTY2 and sudo pacman -Syyu. Update went through and I am running fine. I use KDE and thanks for the update!

1 Like

Read logs to learn what went wrong.

Can’t access tty. Even unable to type in emergency shell.

Imgur

Forum kindly sponsored by