[Stable Update] 2018-01-19 - Kernels, KDE Apps & Framework, Browsers, Virtualbox, Systemd, Mesa

[estudio@Dell ~]$ sudo spectre-meltdown-checker [sudo] password for estudio: Spectre and Meltdown mitigation detection tool v0.31 Checking for vulnerabilities against running kernel Linux 4.14.14-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 17 22:34:54 UTC 2018 x86_64 CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz CVE-2017-5753 [bounds check bypass] aka 'Spectre Variant 1' * Checking whether we're safe according to the /sys interface: NO (kernel confirms your system is vulnerable) > STATUS: **VULNERABLE** (Vulnerable) CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection] aka 'Spectre Variant 2' * Checking whether we're safe according to the /sys interface: NO (kernel confirms your system is vulnerable) > STATUS: **VULNERABLE** (Vulnerable: Minimal generic ASM retpoline) CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load] aka 'Meltdown' aka 'Variant 3' * Checking whether we're safe according to the /sys interface: YES (kernel confirms that the mitigation is active) > STATUS: **NOT VULNERABLE** (Mitigation: PTI) A false sense of security is worse than no security at all, see --disclaimer [estudio@Dell ~]$

I am not concerned about it, thanks for another update and the tool checker :slight_smile:

1 Like

After this update, Firefox keeps crashing!

Launch from command line and post outut, without error messages your post is of no help.

I have the same niggle and of course it is nothing drastic. For me on System Tray Settings I set Octopi notifer to be shown instead of auto. So it should up green, this morning for this update it shows red.

Before I just watched the forum and then in terminal ran pacman -Syu.

1 Like

Excuse for that.

To clarify, the firefox is not crashing. But, some or the other tab keeps crashing after this update.

Update: Not only tabs, Firefox is crashing as well. Here is the crash report.
Looks like the crash is due to the modules libc-2.26.so and libpthread-2.26.so. (Not sure what these are :slightly_smiling_face:)

Is a specific site crashing?

Try with addons disabled.

Try with a clean profile.

Take a read of ...

As a work around, try this:
Go to "Configure network connections" ---> "Wi-Fi Security"
and change encrypted to not encrypted.
Reboot to test

Selection_031

Thanks. Just updated my comment with crash reports. Hope it is of some use...

Upgraded on KDE and all great and thank you all. Have a great weekend. :sunglasses:

Everything went nice on KDE. Even Octopi notified me now. Thanks guys!

Apart from the issue I still have with KDE and networkmanager regarding WLAN autoconnect as detailed in the known issues, everything went fine.

networkmanager 1.10.3dev+38+g78ef57197-1 does not auto-connect to WLAN (KDE)

When I right-click a text-file in, for example, /etc and I select: root actions: open as text, I am asked for my password. After typing it and finishing with an enter I get nothing.
When I simply left-click the same text file it opens in Kate, I can change it and when I want to save it I am asked for my password. Then it does work okay.
I never use the root actions, just tried it because you mentioned it.

1 Like

I know that one and am using it now so the network comes up automatically.
Thanks.

Update went fine, no problems, well, not that I already know of.
Pamac did not notify me so had to enter yaourt in a terminal.

1 Like

Same here "error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
snapd: /snap exists in filesystem
snapd: /usr/share/dbus-1/services/io.snapcraft.Launcher.service exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded."

I'll try remove / add snapd also

Just remove these 2 "existing" files using sudo rm, unmount snap core and remove it with snap remove core, then update snapd.

Wow this is a very neat way to do what I want, thanks. Just would never think it is implemented to work this way.

Can't upgrde because of this error

sudo pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                               141.0 KiB   771K/s 00:00 [################################] 100%
 extra                             1748.2 KiB  1163K/s 00:02 [################################] 100%
 community                            4.3 MiB  1221K/s 00:04 [################################] 100%
 multilib                           174.3 KiB  1816K/s 00:00 [################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: ffmpeg0.10: installing libx264 (2:152.20171224-1) breaks dependency 'libx264.so=148-64'

That's an AUR package; remove (and/or rebuild) it. :wink:

3 Likes

Smooth update as usual. Thankyou Manjaro Team :grin:

Forum kindly sponsored by