[Stable Update] 2018-01-19 - Kernels, KDE Apps & Framework, Browsers, Virtualbox, Systemd, Mesa

I had to remove snapd-git in order to proceed.

1 Like

Did the update in my laptop and I don't get a working network connection.
I did what @philm wrote in the first post:

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/n/networkmanager/networkmanager-1.10.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

and marked networkmanager to not be updated in /etc/pacman.conf.
After reboot the wireless connection does not come up and I see a pop-up message saying no secrets were supplied. Clicking the network icon in the panel and connecting manually works all the time.
In other words the credentials are known but they are not supplied when mounting the network automatically.

All updates works fine, but I have not network with kernel 4.15 - look there
https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/no-network-with-kernel-415/38665

regards
caho

Good day. The output of spectre-meltdown-checker (run as root) is as follows:

Spectre and Meltdown mitigation detection tool v0.31

Checking for vulnerabilities against running kernel Linux 4.14.14-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 17 22:34:54 UTC 2018 x86_64
CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz

CVE-2017-5753 [bounds check bypass] aka 'Spectre Variant 1'
* Checking whether we're safe according to the /sys interface:  NO  (kernel confirms your system is vulnerable)
> STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (Vulnerable)

CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection] aka 'Spectre Variant 2'
* Checking whether we're safe according to the /sys interface:  NO  (kernel confirms your system is vulnerable)
> STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (Vulnerable: Minimal generic ASM retpoline)

CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load] aka 'Meltdown' aka 'Variant 3'
* Checking whether we're safe according to the /sys interface:  YES  (kernel confirms that the mitigation is active)
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: PTI)

A for update itself, it has run w/o any issues except some difficulties related to software installed from AUR, but that was absolutely my fault.
The interesting thing is I didn't have to re-sign new Linux kernel with my key for Secure Boot. Booted with no errors, nice.
Thank you for the update.

PS: As a sidenote I would like to say that Dolphin root actions servicemenu "Open as text" (sorry my locale is not English so I might have done some mistakes) does not work, and it didn't work prior to the update as well. I guess it uses kdesu(do) for launching kate instead of new logic like "SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit". Sharing this in hope that someone would fix it eventually.

Update fixes this bug in KDE:

Now everything works :slight_smile: Thanks.

1 Like

[estudio@Dell ~]$ sudo spectre-meltdown-checker [sudo] password for estudio: Spectre and Meltdown mitigation detection tool v0.31 Checking for vulnerabilities against running kernel Linux 4.14.14-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 17 22:34:54 UTC 2018 x86_64 CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz CVE-2017-5753 [bounds check bypass] aka 'Spectre Variant 1' * Checking whether we're safe according to the /sys interface: NO (kernel confirms your system is vulnerable) > STATUS: **VULNERABLE** (Vulnerable) CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection] aka 'Spectre Variant 2' * Checking whether we're safe according to the /sys interface: NO (kernel confirms your system is vulnerable) > STATUS: **VULNERABLE** (Vulnerable: Minimal generic ASM retpoline) CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load] aka 'Meltdown' aka 'Variant 3' * Checking whether we're safe according to the /sys interface: YES (kernel confirms that the mitigation is active) > STATUS: **NOT VULNERABLE** (Mitigation: PTI) A false sense of security is worse than no security at all, see --disclaimer [estudio@Dell ~]$

I am not concerned about it, thanks for another update and the tool checker :slight_smile:

1 Like

After this update, Firefox keeps crashing!

Launch from command line and post outut, without error messages your post is of no help.

I have the same niggle and of course it is nothing drastic. For me on System Tray Settings I set Octopi notifer to be shown instead of auto. So it should up green, this morning for this update it shows red.

Before I just watched the forum and then in terminal ran pacman -Syu.

1 Like

Excuse for that.

To clarify, the firefox is not crashing. But, some or the other tab keeps crashing after this update.

Update: Not only tabs, Firefox is crashing as well. Here is the crash report.
Looks like the crash is due to the modules libc-2.26.so and libpthread-2.26.so. (Not sure what these are :slightly_smiling_face:)

Is a specific site crashing?

Try with addons disabled.

Try with a clean profile.

Take a read of ...

As a work around, try this:
Go to "Configure network connections" ---> "Wi-Fi Security"
and change encrypted to not encrypted.
Reboot to test

Selection_031

Thanks. Just updated my comment with crash reports. Hope it is of some use...

Upgraded on KDE and all great and thank you all. Have a great weekend. :sunglasses:

Everything went nice on KDE. Even Octopi notified me now. Thanks guys!

Apart from the issue I still have with KDE and networkmanager regarding WLAN autoconnect as detailed in the known issues, everything went fine.

networkmanager 1.10.3dev+38+g78ef57197-1 does not auto-connect to WLAN (KDE)

When I right-click a text-file in, for example, /etc and I select: root actions: open as text, I am asked for my password. After typing it and finishing with an enter I get nothing.
When I simply left-click the same text file it opens in Kate, I can change it and when I want to save it I am asked for my password. Then it does work okay.
I never use the root actions, just tried it because you mentioned it.

1 Like

I know that one and am using it now so the network comes up automatically.
Thanks.

Update went fine, no problems, well, not that I already know of.
Pamac did not notify me so had to enter yaourt in a terminal.

1 Like

Same here "error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
snapd: /snap exists in filesystem
snapd: /usr/share/dbus-1/services/io.snapcraft.Launcher.service exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded."

I'll try remove / add snapd also

Forum kindly sponsored by