[Stable Update] 2018-01-29 - Kernels, Mesa, Xorg-Server, Browsers, MSM, MHWD, GCC

thanks for report, will try 4.15 series tomorrow... :slight_smile:

@oberon: what was the reason we had an overlay package and what might be needed for the XFCE "optical" problem? @grinner seems I saw it but I skipped it in my QM for v17.1.3.

All good on KDE. Kernel 4.15 working nice, and Spectre (Variant 2) is now NOT vulnerable :grinning:. Thanks.

in xfce the Vertex-Maia theme has now big shadows for icon titles on the desktop. I experienced it on 2 machines.

The fix I found has been to move to Adapta :wink: not really a fix but it makes me discover Adapta, I may switch back to Vertex once this is fixed.

Hey guys I have found a fix:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p /desktop-icons/center-text -n -t bool -s false
2 Likes

question about cpu Skylake series

i have after reboot with 4.14.15

grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Vulnerable
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Vulnerable: Minimal generic ASM retpoline

we have to wait next update for generation skylake?

12 posts were split to a new topic: Firefox 58 won't open

I don't remember exactly and I couldn't find a PKGBUILD for what we had. From the decimal pkgrel I was judging that the original plan was to drop the overlay with next upstrem update.
This kind of issue looks new to me :thinking:

8 posts were split to a new topic: Redshift color transition flickers

You need to reboot if you're running with kernel 4.14.14 as the modules are built for kernel 4.14.15, hence they can't be inserted.

of course I did reboot, that is what you do when you update the kernel :slight_smile: I saw error messages for retpoline during boot, but did not catch which module was generating them until I started vmware workstation... that's when I started to investigate more...

You'd probably not be surprised by the number of people who don't... so it's always worth checking. :wink:

2 posts were split to a new topic: LXDM failed to launch, needed libbsd0?

A post was split to a new topic: Nextcloud client not working

A post was merged into an existing topic: LXDM failed to launch, needed libbsd0?

@philm @oberon

This fixes the issue properly. (Can follow the links from https://askubuntu.com/questions/801460/how-to-center-text-in-xfce-desktop/801478 to what exists for the xfce documentation.)

After the command is run the entry <property name="center-text" type="bool" value="false"/> is created under "desktop-icons" in /home/[user]/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml.

Don't know if this can be pushed or should rather be put in the 'wiki post' section. :expressionless:

5 Likes

On Budgie desktop running latest 4.14.15-1 kernel. No problems after rebooting.

Cheers!

Just downloaded 17.1.3 from SourceForge

In English too, download was a bit slow.

I also have the font shadow on xfce desktop.

I'm having some sort of Alsa related error on two different machines. Audio seems to be working on both machines, but when using espeak from the terminal, the following errors are shown:

Machine 1:
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed

Machine 2:
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed

I apologize that I am fairly ignorant, so I'll be happy to provide any more information upon request, but for the time being, here are the basics of the two machines:

Machine 1 is a desktop using the i3 community edition, and it has an external usb sound card. I can recall there being an option to use Pulseaudio, I can remember using that as a necessity to get audio.

Machine 2 is a brand new laptop using the KDE edition, with very little software customization, and definitely no customization involving the audio. So, whatever configuration the KDE edition comes with regarding audio, that is what this laptop is using for sure. Audio for this machine is just whatever internal hardware that the laptop came with.

Aside from seeing those errors in the terminal, I haven't noticed any audible audio problems so far.

Edit: I also sometimes get 4+ lines of the following:
ALSA lib pcm.c:8323:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred

Forum kindly sponsored by