[Stable Update] 2018-02-03 - Kernels, LibreOffice, Browsers, Thunderbird, PHP, Haskell

Had this issue too with Thunar. Somehow resolved it by re - setting up XFCE.
My issue now is that the notification - area of XFCE - Panel doesn't save its settings anymore.

Smooth update, both laptops on 4.14/Cinnamon stable. Both laptops and my desktop don't seem to mind the latest Intel microcode, so I did not downgrade. Yay for LibreOffice 6 :slight_smile:

Update Ok.

Not problem with grub (update from command line)

4.14 & XFCE

cups doesn't start automatically with boot.
I have to start manually

sudo systemctl start org.cups.cupsd.service

In /var/log/cups/error_log I find

E [03/Feb/2018:22:55:42 +0100] Filter \"brftopagedbrf\" not found.
E [03/Feb/2018:22:55:42 +0100] Filter \"brftopagedbrf\" not found.

Otherwise no cups related messages in the logs

Permissions are allright after

chgrp -R cups /etc/cups

EDIT
Solved by

systemctl enable org.cups.cupsd.service

A humble request: can you please quote when you're replying to a specific post? It makes it much easier for someone browsing the thread. Thanks!

3 Likes

Wondering if the lp group is still necessary :thinking:

/etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf
### Default: lp		|	### Default: cups
#Grp lp			|	Grp cups

/etc/cups/cups-files.conf
#User daemon		|	User 209
Group lp		|	Group 209

/etc/group
lp:x:7:cups,daemon
cups:x:209:

My desktop won't boot on either Kernel 4.14 or 4.9.
I have no way of accessing TTY.
After the loading initramfs message I just get a black screen.

Any clues? I can only access Grub, nothing else.

Removed the "quiet" option from Grub, and the last line before the blank screen is:
activating swap /dev/disk/xxxxxxxxxxxxx....

I have got this message:
Warning: intel-ucode: Local version (20180108-1) is newer than extra (20171117-1).

@Dickens1412

sudo pacman -Syyuu

@anon34396487
I already know the orders. But I don't want to downgrade, because otherwise outdated microcode from Intel is used. Because of Meltdown and Spectre, I'm sure it's not good.

Well intel has pulled the microcode you are still using for being unstable. You use it at your own risk.

I'm using Manjaro KDE. After this update, I cannot enter sddm which gives me bad 'add' command line.

After some investigation, I found that startx reports /usr/lib/xorg-server/Xorg: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libharfbuzz.so.0: undefined symbol: FT_Done_MM_Var. I noticed that package harfbuzz has been updated from 1.7.4 to 1.7.5, so I downgraded it to 1.7.4, and everything is working fine now. I guess there's some problem?

Update: you may solve this problem with pacman -S freetype2 and optionally lib32-freetype2. I previously used freetype2-infinality from AUR which seems to be broken.

4 Likes

Hi @t123yh, I have the same problem.
How do you downgrade that package?

Like stated 4 posts above with:

sudo pacman -Syyuu

But if you are not experiencing any issues, there is no need to downgrade it.

If your system is not booting. Boot using a Live ISO, mount your system root partition, then chroot into this partition.

sudo mount /dev/sdXX /mnt
sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt

Then use the downgrade command on harfbuzz.

sudo downgrade harfbuzz

If you don’t have downgrade installed...

sudo pacman -S downgrade

And try again.

I do have the same problem. After updated my Manjaro KDE, my system is stuck in Started TLP system startup/shutdown. I used CTRL+ALT+F2, and reinstalled my video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee driver, but it doesn't work.
When I try to use start, I have the same error that @t123yh reported.
Also, I checked and I don't have the previous version of harfbuzz in my /var/cache/pacman/pkg folder
So, again, how can I downgrade that package?

Press Alt+Ctrl+F2, then login with your account

sudo -s
cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg
pacman -U harfbuzz-icu-1.7.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
pacman -U harfbuzz-1.7.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

And X server will go up right at the moment, you don't even have to start it manually.

Update: you may solve this problem with pacman -S freetype2 and optionally lib32-freetype2. I previously used freetype2-infinality from AUR which seems to be broken.

3 Likes

According to this:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=234082

this issue could probably be solved by using the officially supported freetype2 package, already in Manjaro stable repo:

1 Like

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/h/harfbuzz/harfbuzz-1.7.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

2 Likes

Downgrading harfbuzz solved it for me too!

Thanks! Have a cookie!

Forum kindly sponsored by