[Stable Update] 2019-02-23 - Kernels, Systemd, Browsers, Plasma5, Python, Haskell

I use the option in Octopi, with only being 2 months in myself and not ready to build packages ... go to Tools in the menu bar, then Options. Select the AUR tab. I choose 'Yaourt' and '--noconfirm' ... then any AUR package builds itself; you just need to choose/confirm/provide password. :smiley::+1:t2:

If you want to use trizen, search in Octopi for 'trizen' and it's there, in the main repo.

While that will seem convenient you shouldn't really run any update with --noconfirm

Also, yaourt is not a good option, and pacaur isn't being maintained, so the only realistic option there is trizen.

Octopi could do with an update to support yay...

3 Likes

Thanks for advice. Using TTY for updates, and just a few essential AUR packages ... new, but hopefully will be able to work better with AUR packages at some point. Will install trizen. :smiley::+1:t2:

2 Likes

Updated via TTY. No issues.

Updated 3 machines, one with Nvidia drivers, 2 with nouveau and all in TTY with no issues. :slight_smile:

For 2 years I've always updated in konsole using pacman, and although sometimes I then saw that Plasma was not all working, and maybe once I had to restart from konsole because the menu was not there, after a reboot, all was OK.

But it's so easy to switch to a TTY that I'll do it in future.
Until recently, I wasn't aware that TTY is safer.

(I haven't done the current update yet.
There are newer kernels in testing so I'll wait for the next one.)

I got two message after updated.
First:
warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/
filesystem: 755 package: 750
Second:
:: Searching databases for updates...
:: Searching AUR for updates...
-> Missing AUR Packages: albert libnm-gtk

Is that means the software albert I installed locally is no more exists in aur ?

Yes. It is missing from the AUR.

Which could mean it has been removed, or in this case moved to Arch community: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/albert/

How do you do this from the terminal? I read that you can doyay -Syu does that update everything including stuff from the AUR?

I type in 'yay', which is equal to 'yay -Syu'. Man page of yay says: If no arguments are provided 'yay -Syu' will be performed.

1 Like

Wow cool thanks for the info.

I updated via terminal (via octopi) because I hadn't done the 2-19 update yet, and I thought that's what this update was - didn't realize there was a 2-23 one (octopi just says "you got 365 updates" there's no date attached to the release)! And I had already read the forum announcement for 2-19, so thought I was good via terminal.

Anyway, had some plasma issues after the update: couldn't restart or logout or shutdown. The menu was simply missing those items (except for restart). When I got to the screen with the logout/etc options, it would just drop me back to the desktop. I tried systemctl reboot and got a black screen and couldn't get out of it.

So I hard shutdown. And when I restarted everything seems fine. PHEW!

1 Like

Any help from dev side?
I am still using startx from TTY2 to enter into the Plasma.
Plasma loads on startup and when I login then it launches all the autostart apps but no launcher and no desktop icons are shown.
Then I have to switch to TTY2 and login and start plasma with startx and it works fine.

Can anyone help me with this? I have tried all the option mentioned in the known issues post.
Thanks

I am not a dev.

Probably best starting your own thread in either 'technical issues' or 'newbie corner'. But before you do have a read of How to provide good information in your posts.

You might be able to trace the issue yourself working from what is provided by
journalctl -b -p3
a prime candidate being whatever display manager you are using (lightdm, sddm, gdm, or whatever).

Yes sddm is what is on my laptop.
journalctl -b -p3
shows the below error

Out of memory: Kill process 1183 (plasmashell) score 850 or sacrifice child
Feb 25 09:46:17 furkan-pc kernel: Killed process 1275 (ksysguardd) total-vm:4288kB, anon-rss:0kB, file-rss:4kB, shmem-rs>
Feb 25 09:46:17 furkan-pc kernel: Out of memory: Kill process 1183 (plasmashell) score 850 or sacrifice child
Feb 25 09:46:17 furkan-pc kernel: Killed process 1183 (plasmashell) total-vm:9434080kB, anon-rss:7088476kB, file-rss:0kB>

Thanks for your reply.

My my, what a big "surprise", linux is turning into windows (not the good parts).

1 Like

I am using KDE 5.15.1 with the kernel 4.20.11-1
Since the last update I have the problem that the computer reboot or shutdown with the following message "TLP System startup/shutdown" sticks for 90 seconds. After that the shutdown or reboot is executed correctly. There are no problems when starting.
There are a lot of threads on the TLP issue here in the forum. However, these always concern the problem that the computer does not start in the graphical user interface. I don't have any problems with that.

Bei meinen sieben Betriebssystemen hat insgesamt gesehen alles geklappt. Ich habe bei meinem Desktop-Rechner via chroot und mittels pacman -Syyu gearbeitet. Bei meinem Laptop hat das nicht geklappt, weil ich eine gesonderte var-Partition habe und es nicht schaffe, sie in den chroot-Befehl zu integrieren. Vor dem Anmelden in der grafischen Oberfläche bin ich mittels Strg+Alt+F3 in die Konsole gewechselt und habe dann den Befehl pacman -Syyu gegeben.

Einmal gab es ein Problem, das auch im internationalen Forum angesprochen wurde. Fehler: Konnte den Vorgang nicht durchführen (In Konflikt stehende Dateien) python-pyqt5: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/PyQt5/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-37.pyc existiert im Dateisystem Fehler sind aufgetreten, keine Pakete wurden aktualisiert.Der vorgeschlagene Befehl hat nicht geholfen;pacman -S python-pyqt5 --overwrite ‘*’also habe ich die Datei umbenannt.
Am Tag vorher hatte ich einen Netzwerkdrucker HP HP_ColorLaserJet_MFP_M278-M281 eingerichtet. Der Scanner ließ sich nicht mehr ansprechen nach dem Update. Durch Zufall stieß ich darauf, dass er ein neuere Version eines Plugins brauchte: hplip-3.19.1-plugin.run Man erhält es auf der Webseite von HP.

[Veröffentlicht auf https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/, https://de.manjaro.org/ und https://www.manjaro-forum.de/]

Hi all I have no issues on my desktop after updating but on my laptop the touchpad horizontal is a bit messed up. It hardly moves the cursor in the horizontal, vertical seems about normal.
The laptop is a hp pavillion g6 with AMD E2 processor. I'm using the 4.14 kernal but did try switching to the 4.19 and that doesn't boot at all.

Plasma TTY. Everything went smoothly.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by