[Stable Update] 2019-03-29 - Kernels, Gnome, LibreOffice, Mesa, Budgie, Browsers, Qt

I would suggest installing and testing both older and newer kernels. Try at least two or three alternate kernels. Install kernels through Manjaro Settings Manager, and always have at least two kernels installed at all times for safety.

If no luck, then uninstall the proprietary broadcom-wl-dkms driver through Manjaro Settings Manager, then reboot.

hey thanks for the quick reply ! alright I'll try it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

So does that mean KDE will be removed as an edition as well, as that break's/has problems more then Gnome, Just look/scroll though Technical Issues and Assistance?

Yes i have to say Gnome always has problem when a Major version comes along and some problems can be avoided by removing/turning off extensions before updating.

And yes this version does seem to be way more bugged then normal and yes i really am disappointed this time, but that is no reason to pull the plug on Gnome Edition.

Bluetooth problems see, link below:

I would start by saying I am not a KDE user nor that familar with its plumbing, but aren't KDE's "breaks/has problems" things the devs can actually work on and fix. Gnome's extensions are maintained by third party community members, some of which just abandon their projects completely. The issues are not part of the Gnome upstream/downstream waterways.

Now, the one issue I have stated before on other threads that I think complicates the issues is that the Manjaro devs package their "default" extensions with dependencies to the gnome system. I wish they would let the users add the extensions either via the Manjaro repos/AUR or via Gnome-look.org. When an extension has issues, you can't remove it without removing a chunk of Gnome. That is bad.

1 Like

Hey tbg, thanks for your advice again !

I switched to kernel 5.05
I am now back to the start installing wifi drivers and I found a neat post by you from back then:
Broadcom wifi driver fails to install properly :slight_smile:

My question is, does the following command

pamac install linux$(uname -r| grep -o -E '[0-9]+' | head -n 2 | sed 'N;s/\n//')-headers

+still install the latest headers for for instance my current used kernel ?

Last time i had b43-pci-bridge driver in use however only the kernel module ssb was recognized

Maybe broadcom-wl-dkms works if I only set it up correctly

Yes it works still. I was going to link that post, but I figured one step at a time.

It turns out that the issue is with the "Arc menu" extension. For now I decreased the icon size in the extension settings.

Drivers detected as "bcma-pci-bridge"

I followed your steps exactly as written in the post. My blacklist.conf blacklists ssb
Kernel driver in use: wl this is ok, however
Kernel modules: ssb, wl ... I have checked my NetworkManager, it shows

wireless however it does not show the actual wifi ssids around, i have rebooted already as well

(by the way thank u guys for your awesome support ! :smiley: )

Enter:

sudo echo -e "blacklist b43\nblacklist b43legacy\nblacklist ssb\nblacklist bcm43xx\nblacklist brcm80211\nblacklist brcmfmac\nblacklist brcmsmac\nblacklist bcma" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Restart.

If no love, start a separate help thread with all important outputs listed on the thread.

My stable upgrade is not going well. I disabled extensions and did the upgrade, all seemed to go well until I rebooted. I got a blank screen, not even a login/gdm prompt.

So then I restored using Timeshift.

Next I did the same except I put back all the themes to default settings, thinking maybe it was a theme issue. Same blank screen. So then I did a TTY and installed lightdm and enabled it, thinking that gdm was the issue. Reboot, same blank screen, only this time TTY did nothing.

So then I restored using Timeshift

Next I am going to try the same (using gdm) but uninstalling my nvidia proprietary drivers and see if it is a GPU issue. If that doesn't work....I am switching to XFCE with a big :fu: to Gnome.

3 Likes

No love from module :frowning:
however much love from me for the help !

I will revert back to b43 and try to fiddle with that until it works,
Um sry to ask but to get back into inital state do i just have to remove the blacklist.conf file, uninstall (with dependencies) dkms and broadcom-wl-dkms & then reboot ?
Or would i have to be aware of sth more important ?

That's it. :+1:

Yikes, second update after 2019-01-23 breaking my system. Although this one is more subtle than the issues back then.

Locking my screen with Super+L was bugged after the update (first press didn't lock the screen but made it bug out, second press locked it, but the dock was still visible and clickable after locking). Removing dash to dock (Gnome Shell Extension), restarting and re-installing the extension (including re-configuring) solved the problem.

Also, is there a reason why I cannot use Enter on the lock screen to "swipe up" and focus the password field?

2 Likes

Follow up after setting gnome to default and uninstalling nvidia proprietary drivers....BORKED, same black screen, no gdm login.

I even TTY and reinstalled; gnome-desktop, gnome-common and gdm...resetting hooks. Rebooted, blank screen. What a :poop:show. I will be migrating to XFCE for the rest of the day. :mask:

Have you configure a world clock with gnome-clock ?

If yes do this command in TTY :

dbus-launch gsettings reset org.gnome.clocks world-clocks

1 Like

Ewww...I missed that and yes I think I have set a world clock. Thanks. Raising the curtains one more time to give it a go. :performing_arts:

Nope! That didn't work. So Gnome gets a big :fu:

1 Like

That's right, give that mischievous gnome a swift kick in the crotch and punt it straight through the uprights. :smile:

4 Likes

I had the same problem with my T430s. Ended up suspending a second time to get to the login screen.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by