[Stable Update] 2019-03-29 - Kernels, Gnome, LibreOffice, Mesa, Budgie, Browsers, Qt

Great. I was using meld for compare before, so I'm gonna try pacdiff thanks :slight_smile:

Yes, I have yay installed and generally use it, but it shows updates with many packages on one line and thus not what I want. But thanks for hint.

Hi! I am preparing to run updates today. I'd be removing gnome-shell-extension-taskbar but the Add/Remove Software says it is "Installed as a dependency for another package." This holds me back from removing it. What should I do? Should I just proceed and click remove anyway or I don't know... Please help. Thank you!

P.S. This gnome-shell-extension-topicons-plus-huttli is not installed in my system but this other extension gnome-shell-extension-taskbar is installed by default. Please note though that I don't use it--it has always been disabled in my settings.

I am not sure if it's related to update, tracker-store is consuming almost 500MB after updating. I haven't even seen this package before. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

gnome-sushi -> preview in Files not working anymore.

try tracker daemon --kill then tracker daemon -s
to see if it helps. On my system tarcker-store occupies little bit more then 12MB

1 Like

Hi,
updated cinnamon via tty successfully, now it seems better than before.
Thanks manjaro team.

That is very unfortunate 'cause gnome-sushi is not a shell extension but a great official Gnome feature for Nautilus.

Hey Guys, i seem to have network (wifi) issues since the latest updates (frequent disconnects, slow speeds) ! I've compared speedtests of laptop with manjaro (using the depicted network driver in the screenshot)
and another windows laptop and my manjaro downL / upL is significantly slower than the windows machine. I also checked the ethernet speed on the manjaro and windows machines they were the same.

I am on manjaro xfce
Linux Kernel: 4.19.32-1 LTS

apart from the bug in thunar related to the submenus, I can say: "another day in paradise with manjaro" :v: :clap::clap::clap:

I thank the manjaro maintainers!

xfce & cinnamon with kernel 4.19

I would suggest installing and testing both older and newer kernels. Try at least two or three alternate kernels. Install kernels through Manjaro Settings Manager, and always have at least two kernels installed at all times for safety.

If no luck, then uninstall the proprietary broadcom-wl-dkms driver through Manjaro Settings Manager, then reboot.

hey thanks for the quick reply ! alright I'll try it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

So does that mean KDE will be removed as an edition as well, as that break's/has problems more then Gnome, Just look/scroll though Technical Issues and Assistance?

Yes i have to say Gnome always has problem when a Major version comes along and some problems can be avoided by removing/turning off extensions before updating.

And yes this version does seem to be way more bugged then normal and yes i really am disappointed this time, but that is no reason to pull the plug on Gnome Edition.

Bluetooth problems see, link below:

I would start by saying I am not a KDE user nor that familar with its plumbing, but aren't KDE's "breaks/has problems" things the devs can actually work on and fix. Gnome's extensions are maintained by third party community members, some of which just abandon their projects completely. The issues are not part of the Gnome upstream/downstream waterways.

Now, the one issue I have stated before on other threads that I think complicates the issues is that the Manjaro devs package their "default" extensions with dependencies to the gnome system. I wish they would let the users add the extensions either via the Manjaro repos/AUR or via Gnome-look.org. When an extension has issues, you can't remove it without removing a chunk of Gnome. That is bad.

1 Like

Hey tbg, thanks for your advice again !

I switched to kernel 5.05
I am now back to the start installing wifi drivers and I found a neat post by you from back then:
Broadcom wifi driver fails to install properly :slight_smile:

My question is, does the following command

pamac install linux$(uname -r| grep -o -E '[0-9]+' | head -n 2 | sed 'N;s/\n//')-headers

+still install the latest headers for for instance my current used kernel ?

Last time i had b43-pci-bridge driver in use however only the kernel module ssb was recognized

Maybe broadcom-wl-dkms works if I only set it up correctly

Yes it works still. I was going to link that post, but I figured one step at a time.

It turns out that the issue is with the "Arc menu" extension. For now I decreased the icon size in the extension settings.

Drivers detected as "bcma-pci-bridge"

I followed your steps exactly as written in the post. My blacklist.conf blacklists ssb
Kernel driver in use: wl this is ok, however
Kernel modules: ssb, wl ... I have checked my NetworkManager, it shows

wireless however it does not show the actual wifi ssids around, i have rebooted already as well

(by the way thank u guys for your awesome support ! :smiley: )

Enter:

sudo echo -e "blacklist b43\nblacklist b43legacy\nblacklist ssb\nblacklist bcm43xx\nblacklist brcm80211\nblacklist brcmfmac\nblacklist brcmsmac\nblacklist bcma" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Restart.

If no love, start a separate help thread with all important outputs listed on the thread.

Forum kindly sponsored by