[Stable Update] 2019-07-03 - Kernels, Systemd, Pamac 8.0, KDE, XFCE, Browser, QT

All things considering there were very few issues with most people not having any issues at all but if you aren't willing to do a few fixes here and there then a distro based on rolling updates probably isn't for you. I can tell you from experience though if you want an up to date distribution that lets you run just about anything out there available to the linux community this one is one of the most stable distros out there not to mention some of the best community support hands down.

2 Likes

Hi bow2me26
I ve been using Manjo stable in a production environment for a while. The rolling releases until now, for me have been pretty much trouble free. I imagine that philm and the team may well have another stable out a pretty short period of time. Understand how you feel though because as a result of this stable update I moved /home across into another partition and did a clean install. My other machines have not been updated and wont be until something changes. When one uses a machine for something other than maintaining the machine its a PITA and has been for me, lots of time eaten up since this stable came out. However in the year plus I have been using Manjo its been the best distro I have found for my purposes. However this has been pretty frustrating for me and a lot of other folks. I know how to fix whats broken but it involves time taken away from work to do sysadm.

Lets see what happens.

appreciate it expat . Up till now i havent really had much trouble with manjaro but with having to manually do patches that others provide like this and then for that patch to work only for another problem to occur and another its just irritating . it feels less like having a distro and more like im trying to build my own lfs system dealing with one issue after another like that . When im just trying to have a system I can do work on .

all went smooth for kde and i3.

I did the work around steps mentioned on here and as i previously mentioned i couldnt use eth afterwards . And now after the third reboot the system completely crashed will only boot into emergency mode . Is there a way to use pacman to completely uninstall everything and reinstall from emergency mode ?

No I dont think you cana use pacman in that manner. IF you have machine with either a large drive with various partitions on it or multiple drives you can do what I did... Move /home/"your account" over to another drive or on another partition on the same drive, then do a fresh install. That way you preserve what is in /home like music, videos, documents, some config settings and so forth. Then the partition where Manjo is, either nuke and pave it with GParted or allow the Manjo install program to do that. Manjo install is pretty good with what you can do with allocating storage even if you arent an expert at it. What I have described here is basically what I did a couple of days ago. Couple more qualifiers- the machine I did the update on that ended carked up from the update...had been back and forth between testing and stable at least once using pacman and the set branch command (see the excellent Arch pacman wiki for this at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

and switching branches from stable to testing and/or vice versa is NOT recommended behavior because it leaves lots of garbage and nasty residue from the previous branch I think. I am curious about what you mean by emergency mode i.e. just a CLI? Or one of the options you have from Grub to boot to a different kernel? But then there is this

and a possibly better set of instructions here

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

which is chroot using the installation media and a good way to hopefully be able to save stuff from /home that is important to you (if you have not backed your system up).

Hope this helps. Good luck with it. I completely understand how frustrating this crap can be.

during the boot up process before it ever hits x it failed and then told me to type in my root password to enter emergency mode thats what im talking about .

Ok understand. So with what you say here,you SHOULD be able to mhwd into chroot. Note that when I originally did the update on my machine--while it did not kill the X server or the GUI, it screwed it up with the frame rate going way way down and a bunch of other things. So if there is enough of an OS left to do what you outline you may be able to chroot and save either the install or whats in /home. Great time to learn more about the structure of all of this.

One important thing to consider here- Manjo has chroot and its a great recovery tool and there arent a lot of other distros that have anything like it.

Maybe the mods will have something to say about this so you might want to start another thread off of this update thread about your adventures. Just an idea. Lotsa people here will be happy to help.

Thanks,
should have cleaned my glasses.....

5.1 is still very new. It is expected for some things to not work. Try the LTS kernels (4.19 or 4.14). You should have a few backups kernels in any case. Running only the latest kernel is for the brave.

It is perfectly safe to switch branches.

Please create your own thread. You should not hijack the update thread for personal support.

What package you are using- from community( rxvt-unicode) or some other version from aur ?If it is from aur - just delete and reinstall it

I am running:
rxvt-unicode-pixbuf from AUR
rxvt-unicode-terminfo from community
urxvt-perls from community

Should I delete and reinstall one or more of them?

Just reinstall rxvt-unicode-pixbuf

When I go to remove it, it says it will remove a couple of dozen other apps. Is there a way to just remove it by itself? Is this the way I should do it?

Oh i3 dependency hell :astonished:! First install rxvt-unicode from community remove rxvt-unicode-pixbuf then reinstall urxvt-perls and rxvt-unicode-terminfo . then reinstall rxvt-unicode-pixbuf and remove rxvt-unicode.I am pretty sure that I messed up somewhere so DM me if you will have progress

1 Like

The fix proposed in the Arch link works perfectly for me. So i decided to rebuild lib32-glibc using the fix until Arch rebuild themselves, which in turn will likely still take a few weeks to make it back to Manjaro stable. It's version 2.29-3.5 (old is 2.29-3) so when the -4 rebuild by Arch comes down it'll update over the top. I'll leave my rebuild up until the Arch build makes it way down in to Manjaro, at which point i'll remove the file off my server.

So for those interested...
https://www.majinbuu.com/lib32-glibc-2.29-3.5-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Fixed glibc now in repositories.

1 Like

Worked like a charm. You didn't mess it up. Thank you so much!

You are welcome

I'll rebuild and push it to the branches.

4 Likes

Up to now, no flaws encountered on kernel 5.1.15, Xfce, nvidia legacy 390.xx (defunct mobile Kepler GPU).

I‘m still in the process of solving a bug I‘m experiencing with mpd/alsa/USB. I have narrowed the culprit down to the laptop power management, but haven‘t gotten to the root cause yet (Xfce power manager, underlying power manager, Manjaro implementation, my inserting usbcore.autosuspend=-1 in the grub Linux commandline?). I was posting in the Technical Assistance bucket here on the forum, but it‘s still premature. I will return to that thread.

EDIT: Here‘s the a.m. thread, updated now.
https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/mpd-alsa-usb-and-xfce-power-management-issue-mpd-gets-paused-and-throws-alsa-error-at-samplerate-change/92657

Forum kindly sponsored by