[Stable Update] 2019-07-03 - Kernels, Systemd, Pamac 8.0, KDE, XFCE, Browser, QT

Oh i3 dependency hell :astonished:! First install rxvt-unicode from community remove rxvt-unicode-pixbuf then reinstall urxvt-perls and rxvt-unicode-terminfo . then reinstall rxvt-unicode-pixbuf and remove rxvt-unicode.I am pretty sure that I messed up somewhere so DM me if you will have progress

1 Like

The fix proposed in the Arch link works perfectly for me. So i decided to rebuild lib32-glibc using the fix until Arch rebuild themselves, which in turn will likely still take a few weeks to make it back to Manjaro stable. It's version 2.29-3.5 (old is 2.29-3) so when the -4 rebuild by Arch comes down it'll update over the top. I'll leave my rebuild up until the Arch build makes it way down in to Manjaro, at which point i'll remove the file off my server.

So for those interested...

Fixed glibc now in repositories.

1 Like

Worked like a charm. You didn't mess it up. Thank you so much!

You are welcome

I'll rebuild and push it to the branches.


Up to now, no flaws encountered on kernel 5.1.15, Xfce, nvidia legacy 390.xx (defunct mobile Kepler GPU).

I‘m still in the process of solving a bug I‘m experiencing with mpd/alsa/USB. I have narrowed the culprit down to the laptop power management, but haven‘t gotten to the root cause yet (Xfce power manager, underlying power manager, Manjaro implementation, my inserting usbcore.autosuspend=-1 in the grub Linux commandline?). I was posting in the Technical Assistance bucket here on the forum, but it‘s still premature. I will return to that thread.

EDIT: Here‘s the a.m. thread, updated now.

For yourself and others who are complaining about the stability of Manjaro, I think you all need to reassess what you want from your OS, (and how you maintain it).

You all have some choices you need to make if you wish to continue using a rolling distro.

You really need to alter the way you do your updates to minimize the chance of encountering a bad update.

Always read the update release notices on the forum before performing any update.

Wait at least a day or two before performing a system update. Any severe bugs are usually patched within a day, but don't be caught installing your updates before a fix has been rolled out.

Stop using a GUI package manager to perform large system updates. Use pacman in the terminal or a TTY to ensure your best chance of a problem free update.

If that is all just too much effort for you, then you have several other options.

You can switch to a fixed release distro that only performs security updates, which could possibly provide more stability.

If neither of those strategies appeal to you, then you really only have one feasible alternative if you wish to continue using a rolling distro.

If you go out boating on a millpond for the day and don't want to wear a life jacket no big deal. If you're going whitewater rafting and you don't wear a life jacket you are being extremely reckless.

A rolling distro is the equivalent of whitewater rafting in the Linux world. You need a life jacket for this, and your life jacket is a good backup strategy.

If you perform backups and experience a bad update you can simply roll your system back to before the bug occurred. After your system is restored you can leisurely investigate what might have caused the issue and how to rectify it. Perhaps there is no immediate fix, then simply wait till the next update to see if the issue has been resolved. With good backups you never have to sweat a bad update, because you can be up and running again in minutes.

Make your choice, but it's your responsibility to maintain your system if you choose to run a rolling distro. The Manjaro team cannot possibly anticipate the results of an update on every possible hardware/software combination in existence.
It's time to take some responsibility for maintaining your own system. If you are not prepared to do that, perhaps it's time you all migrate to a static distribution.


New glibc is available.


Apparently update button in Pamac GUI does not work(trying to update glibc now)Is this a known issue?

How using pacman in the terminal or in a TTY would have help whatsoever in this case?

I do not remember him or anyone saying that Pamac (GUI) crashed in the middle of the upgrade. The most issue I see for the upgrade process is either file (snapd with /snap symbolic link) or package conflict (with people that doesn't clean up their old kernel). Even with pacman, you would have been screwed and would have to solve the issue.

I don't know, the community here sometime acts like doing system upgrades in a command-line interface will inherently solve all problems and will always go well magically.

Those were general recommendations. They were not specifically just referring to the user I quoted. For people who refuse to read the release announcements before they update they will inevitably get caught by a bad update.

If you never read release announcements then you should always update from the terminal (or a tty) and delay your updates (or you better start making backups). Sooner or later a bad update will meltdown your system, if you don't update via the terminal and wait till any emergency fixes are released before updating.

That's just the law of averages. How many updates has there been in the last year that were recommended to be done in the terminal or a tty. There were quite a few that I recall. Add to that the rather bad bugs that weren't initially discovered and a patch was rolled out a day later, and then you have a lot more potential meltdowns.

So if you never read release notices then you should always update from the terminal and delay doing your updates. Those two things alone would prevent a lot of the bad updates that were reported over the last year. Even if you do read the release notices, those are still good measures to take as a safety precaution.

Will those measures prevent all update issues? Of course not, but it significantly reduces the risk. It's not a magic fix, but that's why you do backups in case something slips between the cracks.


Hello. I had some trouble with the updates, and someone here on the forums suggested those 2 commands: sudo pacman -Sdd linux51 $(pacman -Q | grep linux50 | sed 's|linux50|linux51|g')and sudo pacman -Rdd linux420-nvidia linux50-nvidia. Now when I boot it only shows the boot logo and when I try to install the video-nvidia package with mhwd it says error: target not found: linux50-nvidia.The system is now unusable, and I need to use it for work and other stuff. Help please!

Tapping on bluetooth tray icon does not bring Device manager or right clicking it and selecting Devices. I am using bluetoothctl for now.

I am on XFCE.

I have a somewhat strange failure with bluetooth.
The bug could be specific to The Denon PMA-30 / kernel 5.1 - 5.2 only.

I have a Denon PMA-30, that always has been working on Manjaro and with bluetooth. I was using it just before the update.
Did the update and now I couldn't connect to the Denon anymore.
I did try removing it and pair it again, but no succes.
Even though it is there after it said "Connection/setup failed", it just kept connecting and then disconnecting and throw an error about couldn't connect

I then removed other bluetooth devices, pairing them again and to my surprise, they all worked as expected.
Then went to another, almost same config, laptop, that I haven't update yet.
It was never connect to the Denon before and it was running kernel 5.0.
Connected and worked without any issues.
Removed kernel 5.0 (Nvidia error when upgrading)
Installed 5.1 newest
Update on tty and rebooted
Same error as before, when connecting the Denon.
Installed kernel 5.2
Rebooted, same error
Installed the only 5.0 left, the RT.
Rebooted and surprise, now the connection to Denon works as expected.
Trust I seek and I find in Manjaro
Every day for us something new and exciting updates
Open mind for a different view
And nothing else matters..... Was the voice singen out from the speakers :wink:

Kernel bug or Manjaro bug?

Is it time to bring this up again?

Install linux51-nvidia (if you run kernel 5.1, that is), linux50-xxx is EOL.

A workaround for some users with this Bluetooth issue has been to switch to one of the real time kernels.

Thankyou, it seems so as I also wrote.
But that is just a workaround and I was kind of hoping to get the bug solved
and the kernel 5.0 latest not RT was working

Well as it is a kernel bug then I guess you should file a kernel bug report or bone up on your kernel development skills and submit a patch. :wink:

Alright, it's a kernel bug

Forum kindly sponsored by