[Stable Update] 2019-09-05 - Kernels, Mesa 19.1.5, XFCE 4.14, KDE, Nvidia 435xx, LibreOffice

Around and around we go, I love Manjaro. Just one question, why label it manjaro-xfce-18.1.0-rc10-stable-x86_64 instead of Manjaro xfce stable 18.1.0? Did we need a release candidate?

Update works fine to all machines.

Great job. Thanks to the manjaro-team. :+1:

regards
caho

Hi all!

I haven't upgraded yet, but I'll do it as soon as I get home.
And of course, I'll let you know how it goes.

What I intend to do after upgrade is to remove NVIDIA 430xx driver, and install the newer 435xx so I could exploit the full potential of my OPTIMUS Laptop...

I have a question though, becouse this laptop is my main production machine, and I don't want to do something stupid...
Will the new driver installation, create all the necessary xorg scripts for Optimus function automatically, or I'll have to do it manually, according to NVIDIA's site?
As it is now, I have no bumblebee, or optimus-manager installed. I run all rendering through Nvidia card (full strength) and I have already an xorg.conf file inside my /etc/X11 directory.

Thanks in advance...

First of all, replace 430xx with 435xx in Manjaro settings after update.

Then follow the instruction here.

"a" as in 1? There were already 9 other rc's before rc10.

Hi I do have a problem that I can't resolve yet documented in this thread . Happy for any directions!

Thank you so much, dobedobedo!

By the way...
How's your Optimus impressions so far with this driver? I mean, performance compared with the previous workarounds (bumblebee, optimus-manager etc)

They were not rc's for Stable.

I don't use hybrid GPU as my PC is a desktop. I'm also curious about whether need to replace the current 430xx with 435xx. You can read more people discuss about the new implementation here.

Normally RCs are always based on stable. Since we had to postpone our release some testing ISOs came in. If rc10 works as expected we will release Manjaro 18.1 on the 14.9.

2 Likes

I was scared after noticing how big it was and with the nVidia drivers. However, it went through nicely.

What's still bugged:

XFCE/AMD/nVidia

After this update, retroarch crashes on me. I created a topic here:
https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/retroarch-fails-to-start-after-latest-stable-update-2019-09-05/101712?u=ninsa

Edit: It's a known bug and downgrading retroarch to 1.7.7-1 fixes it. :grin:
Thank you @bogdancovaciu

I see...
Thank you

The "problem" I'm facing with 430 is slightly higher temperatures, in idle mode, since the Nvidia GPU is more power demanding than its Intel counterpart. And I really don't like the bumblebee or optimus-manager solutions... However I'm going to postpone the 435.xx installation for some time, until I'm pretty sure of what I'm doing :slight_smile:

Flawless installation with my Asus ROG Laptop.
DE: KDE plasma
Kernel: 4.19 LTS

The only Thunderbird/Firefox add-ons I have are some language packages, installed from the repositories. No problem with these.

Thank you philm and the Manjaro team

Most Excellent.
Thanks to the Manjaro team.
No problems after re-boot.

Ic þancie þē

(Thought I'd spice up my "thank you" - it is in Old English!)

Update went well: Kernel 4.19, nVidia 430.40, GNOME 3.32.2. Thank you!

@philm
A brief observation, if you will? The RCs 1 thru 9 were drawn upon Testing Repos, not stable. A salient point I might add.

so I have fixed my problem.
I had some AUR packages not up-to-date.
I think it was expressvpn but I can't prove it as I don't have the know-how.

That said:
I updated through a terminal with:

sudo pacman -Syyu

and all ok expect the issue I mentioned:

a stop job is running for Network Manager

I then ran:

yay -Syu --aur

and found I had packages needing updating.
I updated them, rebooted several times, and all seems ok.

I hope that helps other noobs like me.
I guess I'll always update AUR packages after a stable branch update from now on..

1 Like

Thank you guys and community. Great, that threads for update including a commenting coimnmunity exist in Manjaro. I am some months "new" and find my way to here extremly well coordinated. Manjaro with Deepin was the best linux decision I made in the last 14 Years. My system has lately undergone several installations in the video tools section, so some Gstreamer and v4l2loopback-dkms and v4l-utils were bringing issues. Maybe, I think so, some issues will be solved.

Update on 12 Systems and 1 VB without Problems.

DK3

Forum kindly sponsored by