[Stable Update] 2020-03-14 - Kernels, Plasma 5.18.3, KDE Frameworks 5.67, KDE Apps 19.12.3, Firefox, Kodi

Solved.
I added a new panel.

Probably not very fair, but I tried to update a laptop that hadn't been used or updated in a while, so was still running the 5.3 kernel.
The command line update (pacman -Syu) that I always used managed to remove the running kernel without properly installing the new ones. Also I was not able to use mhwd-kernel to install (or reinstall) any of the available kernels -- it complained that no target was specified.
Eventually, after trying to rescue the system by booting from the installation media and chrooting I was not able to make any progress and had to resort to reinstalling.
I guess the big concern is that the package manager was able to kick out the running kernel.
And the question -- how to tell it "No I do not want 'linux-latest', let me manage my kernels manually".

I could not open xls files with the file manager. MSG. File not found, although i've clicked it!?!?
Only at LibreOffice Calc / File Open... here the file was found and could have been loaded...

After reboot this odd behaivor was gone.

All well on xfce with ryzen 5 3600x and rtx 2060 super. ISO booted straight with non-free drivers and installed without a hiccup. Updated without any problems. Beautiful.

Am getting a Kernel Bug that is preventing me from using KVM. Do not update to linux4.19.108-1 if you are using a Ryzen chip and need KVM virtualization for QEMU.

Journalctl is reporting:
kernel BUG at arch/x86/kvm/mmu.c:296!

This issue has been reported here:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206795

Is it safe for me to downgrade back to linux419 1.19.107 with: 'downgrade linux419'?

maybe upgrade to kernel 5.4 instead? It is the most recent LTS.

1 Like

Good call. Upgrading to 5.4 seems to fix everything. Nothing else has broken yet.

1 Like

My NetworkManager does not show anny connections after some random time, no network and sudo does not work anymore and I have to reboot. Anybody has an idea how to fix this?

Solved:
Disabled and stopped tlp.service. Now everything is working fine.

Network manager has been and is playing up. Restarting the service should work as a quick fix.
systemctl restart NetworkManager.service

You can also try different kernels, disabling ipv6, or replacing network manager with connman. Search the forum for more on all that.

No problem! Thank the Manjaro team :v:
(kyria - xfce)

A good write-up on how to do this here.

1 Like

I have same issue. Traced it to hplip, getting an error that said "Error: client-error-not-authorized". I will wait for the updated hplip to get to stable. The last time I went into the dev repositories, I ended up with so many version mismatches that I ended up reinstalling the distro.

I solved by upgrading hplip as suggested here from another user: (but I didn't needed to remove my printer: I just upgraded hplip)

I hope that you can solve too.

Apart the issue with hplip https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/unable-to-use-hp-laserjet-professional-p1102-printer-after-manjaro-19-0-2-update/128388/16 (easy to fix by just forcing the upgrade to 1:3.20.3-1), I found that this update bringed an improvement: after reboot and after resume from suspension, the wlan adapter (rtl88XXau and also iwlwifi) has been always slow to reconnect; now instead, it reconnects immediately. I suspect that is thanks to the fact that NetworkManager has been also updated (from 1.8.10-1 to 1.8.12-1).
I installed Manjaro on 9 February 2019, and I'm very satisfied.

After this update made without problem, I see another update without announcement for pamac 9.4.0-1 which was pushed to the stable branch to reimplace the version 9.4.0rc4-3 updated with this update. Nevertheless, I cannot read any announcement regarding this.

Because it probably doesn't need to have an announcement to tell everyone that a package go from RC4 phase to Release/stable, as it is most likely exactly the same package with nothing really changed (maybe a minor bug fixed or something) between stable/Release and RC4. It actually happen quite often that after a big system update that some packages received updates during the following week.

Thanks for your answer. So you seem to mean that it is not risky to update it, don't you? How can we know the difference with the last version? Is it just this little fix in Pamac repository?

I'm not sure where to check the exact difference in packages (edit: yeah I think you can see the latest commits here https://gitlab.manjaro.org/applications/pamac/-/commits/master so it seems it is same package to me than RC4), but I (and this is my own opinion based on my own experience) don't see any issue upgrading from the last Release Candidate version to the Released version as for me it just means all the Release Candidate test phases are done and now the package got its update to stable.

1 Like

A few days ago, Philm said that 9.4.0rc was pushed on Stable by error, and since they could not revert to 9.3.0, they kept the rc. I guess they simply wanted to push fixes for 9.4.0 ASAP (and ended up officializing the release of 9.4.0 at that point).

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by