[Stable Update] 2020-03-14 - Kernels, Plasma 5.18.3, KDE Frameworks 5.67, KDE Apps 19.12.3, Firefox, Kodi

I finally got the time to get my desktop working again. It was nonoperational for weeks because of a migration of the system to a lvm raid which wasn't working. I finally figured it out today and updated the system. Near 700 packages were updated (nearly 2GB) and everything went well.

Thanks a lot for your work.

Thanks @papajoke but, unfortunately, no solution provided by the links you shared..
I am going to open a specific post for this issue.

Edit : the issue has disappeared by itself... l don’t like that as it might come back but nothing to else to test anymore.... :pensive:

Global menu is crashingnin kde 5.18.3

1 Like

Appears to be behaving on my end.

KDE Linux 55 no issues. Will run update on xfce in a bit.

Try

$ sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite /usr/bin/fwupdate --overwrite /usr/share/man/man1/fwupdate.1.gz

You might have "fwupdate" installed from the AUR.
Remove that one first and then try again...

Update was successful on majaro KDE.
Pamac did pop up an error, from the pamac log:

Creating temporary files...
Error: command failed to execute correctly
Reloading device manager configuration...

Snippet from pacman.log, I presume this is where a specific error could be found does not show any error.

[2020-03-14T17:02:56+0100] [ALPM] running '30-systemd-sysctl.hook'...
[2020-03-14T17:02:56+0100] [ALPM] running '30-systemd-tmpfiles.hook'...
[2020-03-14T17:02:56+0100] [ALPM] running '30-systemd-udev-reload.hook'...

Systemd log:

14-03-2020 17:02	systemd-tmpfiles	Failed to write file "/sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy": Operation not permitted

Permissions seem fine.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 14 mrt 17:29 policy

Edit after some searching. Found a post with a similar problem

$ sudo systemd-tmpfiles --create
Failed to write file "/sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy": Operation not permitted
$ sudo rm /etc/tmpfiles.d/pcie_aspm_performance.conf 
$ sudo systemd-tmpfiles --create
$ 

Error gone

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

Pamac 9.4.0-rc4-1** should not have been part of this as it is broken. 9.4.0-rc4-2 is the fixed one and added to pamac-dev. I'll revert to 9.3.0 for stable release back. Sorry for the issue. Seems I didn't look the list fully thru.

I am also experiencing this, and it does appear to be related to wifi which will not connect until I enter my password

Linux54 - KDE Plasma.
All good.

My firefox kde integration broke. When I click on "save image as" nothing comes up. I am launching with:
/usr/bin/sh -c "GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u"

When I launch from a terminal with just firefox I get the gtk file browser.
This was working with 5.17.5 so I'm trying to figure out what's going on from this thread:

Updated the laptop (Manjaro Gnome kernel 5.4.x) via TTY without any issues. Everything is running perfectly.

Of course I did my usual Timeshift backup before applying the update just in case something went wrong.

1 Like

Since we can't go back to 9.3.0 series of pamac I've updated it to the latest source. We are sorry if that created some issues on your end. Please report any issues regarding pamac so we can fix them fast.

Update went smoothly on this 13 year old desktop but it did require a reboot from the terminal. After reboot everything works flawlessly. Manjaro KDE, kernel 5.4.x. Thanks to the team for bringing in a stable Plasma 5.18.3!

Check if you have manjaro-kde-settings-19 installed instead of manjaro-kde-settings, if so install the latter one instead.

For the NOOB.... A message about a reboot should be suggested after major system component(s) update(s). This certainly should be a PAMAC feature worth creating. Since Manjaro is now more a business entity, it makes sense to implement.

Remove this if you have the manjaro-kde-settings-19.0 package installed, it was updated to include this setting globally. Using this environment setting twice will break it.

Note: For anyone else like me that had this manually set globally, either remove your modification or don't install the manjaro-kde-settings-19.0 package. I'm not sure about the manjaro-kde-tx-settings package, though it seems to have been updated the same month. The other manjaro-kde-xxx settings packages do not seem to have been updated with this change.

Desktop: Update went smoothly
Laptop: Update hangs after downloading thunderbird "Download of thunderbird (68.6.0-0.1) finished" and nothing is happening, no error message. I tried cancelling and pamac prints Transaction cancelled, but the Apply button does not become active.
After a reboot, I started the upgrade again and it worked.

I think this should be part of this post. I see an update to pacman just hit the servers and after updating, when I hit refresh databases inside of pacman, it does nothing. Anyone else see this happening?

Forum kindly sponsored by