[Stable Update] 2020-03-24 - Kernels, KDE Frameworks 5.68, Gnome 3.36, LibreOffice 6.4.2

The update was ok, but now on Mate panel the fonts of background applications (in windows list) and calendar are black, while the tray icons and the selected window are white. I had to set a grey custom color to keep both visible.

Did you run the update from pamac or console (syu or syyu) ??

Thanks for pointing it out, I checked and for whatever reason I had nautilus-typeahead package installed, not vanilla nautilus. Now its great.

Thank you for a smooth update!

Hi, I updated the system before reading this post and so within the graphical session.
Everything is fine except that the login screen and the lock screen are badly scaled: the password field, the top bar and the buttons are very big and not centered.
Anyone experiencing the same? How can I fix it? If it can be useful, my theme is matcha.

I encountered 'file already exists' issue mentioned above. This thread (mentioned above) fixed it.

1 Like

Try this

1 Like

Hi,
from pamac.
Regards
Paulo

1 Like

Greetings All,

I'm getting this:

looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing libappindicator-gtk2 (12.10.0-14) breaks dependency 'libappindicator' required by lbry-app-bin

Uninstalling LBRY would fix this I suppose. I'll try and see what happens.

AT

Hi, i have a question. So far, i don't updated this stable update and i currently have gnome-assets-18 installed. It is better to execute the stable update before or after the update of gnome-assets-19? Or does it not matter? Thank you.

Smooth updates in both Manjaro i3 minimal (desktop) and XFCE minimal (laptop).

For each, I did a TTY update after a mirror list refresh and making sure that manjaro-system was up to date:

Logout (from DE/WM)

CTRL + ALT + F3

Login (in TTY)

sudo pacman-mirrors -f

sudo pacman -S manjaro-system

sudo pacman -Syyu

sudo update-grub

systemctl reboot

The good news is that today's update fixed printing on my HP printer from the i3 (desktop) setup, which was one of the last problems that I had been having since first installing Manjaro i3 minimal about 2 weeks ago (my first tiling wm) to try to improve my workflow.

Great work, Manjaro team :+1:

Remember 2 things, folks:

1. Always read these release posts and the top troubleshooting replies before actually updating on a work-critical system.

2. It is best practice to apply at least major updates from the TTY (perhaps even straight from a cold boot) rather than a graphical session (DE, WM, etc.).

When I was new to Manjaro (and the entire world of rolling release distributions) about a year and a half ago, I made the mistake of not doing #1 and #2, and I paid the price. Since then, things have been almost entirely smooth sailing.

3 Likes

I was upset when I saw this broken package was pushed "blindly" in stable-staging.

And as far as I know, one of the depends of manjaro-printer is hplip.

1 Like

Generally all fine as usual (xfce & 5.5).
Thanks a lot!

Though, one wired thing.
hplip is on my 'ignored packages list'.
Nevertheless it had been updated.
There has been some message, I even glimpsed some [J/n].
But after some seconds it was jumped and rapidly scrolled away (tty).

Had to manually change permissions for the HPLIP folder
Otherwise all good on Plasma

This update marks my SIXTH year running this installation. Well done team!

2 Likes

I hope I do not come after the battle of if somebody already gave the solution.

This issue is pretty similar to this one: Nautilus & libgnome-desktop

And I worked around by creating a symlink while waiting for an update.

❯ ll /usr/lib/libgnome-desktop-3.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   24 10 mars  19:11 /usr/lib/libgnome-desktop-3.so -> libgnome-desktop-3.so.19
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   28 10 mars  19:11 /usr/lib/libgnome-desktop-3.so.19 -> libgnome-desktop-3.so.19.0.2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 211K 10 mars  19:11 /usr/lib/libgnome-desktop-3.so.19.0.2

$ cd /usr/lib/
$ /usr/lib ❯ sudo ln -s libgnome-desktop-3.so.19 libgnome-desktop-3.so.18

$ /usr/lib ❯ ll /usr/lib/libgnome-desktop-3.so*                          
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   24 10 mars  19:11 /usr/lib/libgnome-desktop-3.so -> libgnome-desktop-3.so.19
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   24 24 mars  16:49 /usr/lib/libgnome-desktop-3.so.18 -> libgnome-desktop-3.so.19
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   28 10 mars  19:11 /usr/lib/libgnome-desktop-3.so.19 -> libgnome-desktop-3.so.19.0.2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 211K 10 mars  19:11 /usr/lib/libgnome-desktop-3.so.19.0.2

I don't know if it is a Manjaro packaging issue or directly coming from Gnome...
How can I help ?

Nautilus: 3.36.0-e11034204 (this is the commit id of the release 3.36.0 of Nautilus)

$ gnome-shell --version
GNOME Shell 3.36.0

Two things.

1. @moderators can we please start cracking back down on screenshots? Most of the screenshots that clutter this thread could have been copied and pasted into the posts using the </> option. Thank you.

2. Updated my laptop running Gnome via TTY (as per the instructions) with no issues. Locale was set properly, Gnome terminal ran properly, and I did not have any of the graphical glitches. Thank you to the Manjaro team for your work.

5 Likes

Everything is good except Dash-to-dock, which hasn't been updated yet.

Gnome, updated tty, as usual whenever there is a gnome, gdm, or wayland update.

I was on vacation and did not have time to update previous updates! Yesterday it was possible to do this, but today it’s a gnome 3.36 (((((
I don’t want to switch to gnome 3.36 at least until all the extensions I need are working.

How can I do this without updating Gnome?!!!!!!

Something pretty weird happened when I made my system upgrade.

I did the upgrade with Pamac GTK on Manjaro Cinnamon. It did upgrade manjaro-system first and I did get the following message:

Upgrading manjaro-system (20191210-4 -> 20200324-4)...
Configuring manjaro-system...
==> Fixing file conflicts for 'hplip' update for you ...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) hplip-1:3.20.3-2

Total Download Size:   18.73 MiB
Total Installed Size:  30.58 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       3.41 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
downloading hplip-1:3.20.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst...
checking keyring...
checking package integrity...
loading package files...
checking for file conflicts...
checking available disk space...
:: Processing package changes...
upgrading hplip...
warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/hplip/base/__pycache__/
filesystem: 700  package: 755
warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/hplip/base/pexpect/__pycache__/
filesystem: 777  package: 755
warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/hplip/prnt/__pycache__/
filesystem: 777  package: 755
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/4) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/4) Reloading device manager configuration...
(3/4) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(4/4) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...

But later, Pamac still complained about file conflicts.

Checking keyring...
Checking integrity...
Loading packages files...
Checking file conflicts...
Failed to commit transaction:
conflicting files:
hplip: /usr/share/doc/hplip-3.20.3/COPYING already exists in filesystem
hplip: /usr/share/doc/hplip-3.20.3/README_LIBJPG already exists in filesystem
hplip: /usr/share/doc/hplip-3.20.3/commandline.html already exists in filesystem
hplip: /usr/share/doc/hplip-3.20.3/copying.html already exists in filesystem
hplip: /usr/share/doc/hplip-3.20.3/copyright already exists in filesystem
hplip: /usr/share/doc/hplip-3.20.3/devicemanager.html already exists in filesystem
hplip: /usr/share/doc/hplip-3.20.3/faxtrouble.html already exists in filesystem
hplip: /usr/share/doc/hplip-3.20.3/gettinghelp.html already exists in filesystem

I just launched the upgrade again and it completed succesfully.

A bit janky, but I'll take it I guess.

:man_shrugging:

Loving the new update! All of the new features and bug fixes are most welcome.

Upgrading both systems that I run Manjaro and GNOME on went smoothly without a single error. I synced both systems after first rebooting into "run-level 3" and running pacman -Syyu.

Screenshot from 2020-03-24 12-13-47 Screenshot from 2020-03-24 12-15-38

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by