[Stable Update] 2020-07-19 - Kernels, KDE, LibreOffice, Mesa, Cinnamon, Deepin, Pamac, Browsers

Same for me. Got even worse performance with fsync enabled in wine.

A bit off topic but how do I get those colorful icons?

I use dark breeze icon theme.

1 Like

Thanks! I'll check it out once I log in my KDE install.

Thanks, this fixed it!

For those with the Package Manager icon issue in KDE Plasma tray, read here

Is not a fix !!! Maybe someone smarter can figure this out.

My question is how you enabled it? I tried in proton but it crashes the game.

By switching it on in Lutris.

Huh, strange. Idk why it doesn't show up in terminal when i run it in Lutris.

I'm glad that thermald is supported upstream again! :grin: I don't like using packages from the AUR other than the drivers for my Brother printer if I can help it.

Only minor issue I have: for Connman/IWD system tray icon, when I hover over it for info, <br> is shown in text instead of being recognized as a line break, so all the words in the popup appear as one long run on sentence.

I don't know how to fix but hopefully the issue will be corrected upstream in a future update, unless any one here has any ideas?

All well except for 2 isues; in systemd-swap.service i have this:
" Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-swap.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2020-07-19 21:20:12 CEST; 9min ago
Process: 42181 ExecStart=/usr/bin/systemd-swap start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 42181 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
jul 19 21:20:12 my-pc systemd[1]: Failed to start Manage swap spaces on zram, files and partitions..
"
and if i run "__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia glxinfo |grep vendor" or "optirun wine ANYPROGRAM" i have this:
"X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 152 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
Value in failed request: 0x0 Serial number of failed request: 39 Current serial number in output stream: 40"

Everything went well except Ventoy complained about overwriting a few files. So I removed Ventoy before updating.

The Perl update caused a few problems with some modules installed from CPAN, by breaking binary compatibility.

Fixable by reinstalling the CPAN modules.

I have Dell Vostro 5490 with Intel audio.

there was no sound from devices connected to headphone jack on kernel 5.7.0, but speakers were okay.
after this upgrade on kernel 5.7.9-1 there is no sound neither from jack nor from speakers.

ps. I have sof-firmware package installed.

Often times this is either a partial-upgrade or someone has replaced kwin with kwin-lowlatency

(oops .. you got it fixed heh.)

As for me - I launch the game and it seems good at start, but after ten minutes or something like that performance is worsening and than game crashes. So I come to conclusion that fsync isn't working in kernel.
With fsync disabled - all the same as before updating, no crashes.

I believe this is why updating from a TTY is recommended for big updates.

2 Likes

I've updated 3 XFCE systems without problems, many thanks guys. I appreciate that you took the time needed to make sure we got a smooth stable update and didn't give in to the pressure.

2 Likes

my computers seem subjectively faster after the upgrade.

using kernel 5.7.9

thoughts?

Update on 2 machines with plasma.
All is ok on the first one.
On the second one I also have, as others, big icons in the system tray, and no pamac icon.

Forum kindly sponsored by