[Stable Update] 2020-07-19 - Kernels, KDE, LibreOffice, Mesa, Cinnamon, Deepin, Pamac, Browsers

Neither ttf-dejavu nor ttf-bitstream-vera are direct dependencies of firefox. Both provide ttf-font and ttf-font is a dependency of firefox. It's totally possible to remove ttf-bitstream-vera as long as there is another installed packaged providing ttf-font.

Hello, prior to update I synced mirrors then as recommended installed ttf-dejavu on 1 of 4 xfce computers then proceeded to update, no problem. Synced mirrors, went to install ttf-dejavu on the #2 and got the following error, tried #3 and got the same thing. Tried several times on both including reboot. Edit: just tried computer #4 and got the same thing, strange:

sudo pacman -S ttf-dejavu
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) ttf-dejavu-2.37-3

Total Download Size:   2.63 MiB
Total Installed Size:  9.75 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
error: failed retrieving file 'ttf-dejavu-2.37-3-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.tuchola-dc.pl : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'ttf-dejavu-2.37-3-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.easyname.at : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'ttf-dejavu-2.37-3-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirrors.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (failed to retrieve some files)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Error 404 indicates that the requested file is not found. Use

$ sudo pacman -Syyu ttf-dejavu

ah! worked, but had to abort at "proceed with full system upgrade y/n" then re-enter sudo pacman -S ttf-dejavu, wanted to get that done first. Will try on other computers then install update, ttf-dejavu now installed on #4 but haven't updated yet. thanks!

That leads to a so called partial update (see also arch wiki) situation and can be cause for all kinds of problems. It's to be avoided.

OK, but I thought the known problems at the top of the thread said to install ttf-dejavu before updating? That went smoothly on the first computer, installed just that then updated. I'm trying to replicate that, install ttf-dejavu then update.

Edit, just reread at the top, maybe it's not so critical to have it installed before updating, just make sure it's there.

I think I've some font problems

With the update of fontconfig some major rules how fonts get applied changed. Make sure that your system has ttf-dejavu installed. A more in depth explanation can be found here .

No, it says to

it doesn't say it has to be install before the update and as you've experienced yourself - this isn't possible once the mirrors don't provide the older ttf-dejavu anymore.
Anyhow: any system without ttf-dejavu installed might/could just have weird looking fonts until ttf-dejavu gets installed (and the system rebooted).

OK, thanks for the explanation! and, I had just edited my above post... :slight_smile:

Should I remove the singly installed ttf-dejavu from that one computer before updating [it wasn't installed at all before], the one I aborted full update on. Just looked at those links in your post.

Edit: never mind, went ahead and updated as is, went OK. I'll look out to avoid partial updates in the future!

Seems like the widget changes are due to the plasma change on KDE's end. I find the new ones buggy strange to set. They went with a one size fits all and plug in approach to the monitors.

Also, after this update if I try to configure my CPU temp meter, it locks up plasma and I have to restart it.

Still unable to update without losing all qt functionality having no dock or menu upon start up and zero compositing with deepin de. 5.6 real time kernel. It’s like deepin kwin is no where to be found? SOS!

Ps after update I do get kde settings menu which after configuring still results in no change to my compositing problem. Alt cntrl F12 gets me a blank screen with a blinking cursor, nothing else,,, it almost seems that deepin trys to become kde plasma

Don't you have a backup???

I was wrong about fixing the sound issue. All I got was analog output, but not the stereo one :frowning:

Have had Manjaro KDE installed for almost two years and this is the first time an update has made a mess out of my system. In the past I never had more than a minor and easily fixable problem once in a while. This update has been quite an experience. Install failed saying ventoy files already on system. Uninstalled ventoy. Install success. My grub theme was reset to default. Not major. Easy fix. When desktop loaded my widgets were a mess. Disappointed old widgets are gone. When trying to configure the new widgets to my liking plasmashell randomly crashing when applying changes to any new system monitor widget. All attempts to customize layout also causing screen flicker while in customize mode. Old temperature widget locks KDE on apply changes. Had to remove. After finally getting desktop configured started testing software. Many games no longer launching under Wine. Fonts all working fine but several fonts no longer display in the fontviewer but instead show a blank window. Some games, both native and under wine have choppy audio unless I disable pulseaudio eq. This was not the case before the update. Many gtk apps were no longer using my chosen gtk theme. Going to settings and changing the themes and then changing it back fixed that. Notifications are now displayed in a much larger than necessary bubble. When launching qjackctl now gives an error that it can not connect client to server. Was working fine before update. Many obscure text file extensions like .ini .inf and others lost their icons. Manually assigned. Plasmashell now has a major memory problem. The longer I use my computer the more ram plasmashell uses. Quickly reaching over 600mb to 1gb forcing me to shutdown and restart plasmashell every so often. I made an Icon on lattedock to reset plasmashell because it needs it so often. Text messages sent through kdeconnect no longer automaticlly send. I must go to my phone and tap to send. This worked fine before. KeypassXC no longer automatically loading db on start. Must manually select. System now makes a loud crackle thud from speakers on boot/reboot and my startup sound no longer plays. On attempting to re-install ventoy install fails with files already on system. Had to remove /opt/ventoy to install. All in all it's not the biggest disaster I've ever had with an update in my Linux history but the worst I've had with Manjaro. Figuring out how to get jack working again and why some of my games aren't launching with Wine is what I'm having the most difficulty with. Anyone else having the memory leak figures it out please reply solution. Thanks.

1 Like

Same problem here with the CPU Temp monitor. The new widgets have a temp monitor feature but for me each sensor has the same name that you can not change. "temp1" So the CPU, GPU and SSD all show that same name. KDE should not have removed/damaged the old widgets to add their new ones. I hope someone who is more knowledgeable with this then I am makes the old widgets available for download or something.

Previously the ram usage on KDE idle was around 450-500 mb. But now after the update that has increased to around 860-900 MB. Hey, is there any fix around. Some ram hogging applications seem to work slow.

1 Like

That's a KDE issue, nothing to do with Manjaro.

Can confirm fonts looked a bit funny after installing the update, a simple "pacman -S ttf-dejavu" and a reboot fixed it right up

Just for the record. I had a problem with Plasma. My system didn't shut down properly. I had black screen after pressing switch off icon. But this solution solved the problem:

Forum kindly sponsored by