Hi ! I've just started to work on a new welcome screen for Manjaro.
Warning: It's just a prototype, many things will changed along developpement thanks to your feedback.
Why a new Manjaro Welcome Screen ?
Manjaro-hello is widely inspired by manjaro-welcome. I've started to work on a new welcome screen because I think that the current has several defects, some of which are inherited from the technologies used.
- First, it is based on Gtk3 but because of the use of Webkit and its old Python binding, it is forced to use Gtk2.
- All the app content is displayed by using HTML that is rendered by Webkit. This makes the evolution of the software very complicated. For example, it is very hard to make a translation system.
- By using web technologies and Webkit, the renderer is a little bit slower than using native technologies.
- Can't know if each link will be open in an external browser or in app.
For all this reasons, I have chosen to build a new software from scratch but keeping the original structure.
Currently, manjaro-hello has all the major features of manjaro-welcome plus a translation system.
- Interface is translated using gettext and po files. (po/)
- Pages are translated using differents files. (data/pages)
What goals ?
The first goal of the project is to build a powerful welcome screen who welcome the new user and help him to discover our favorite distribution :).
Finnaly, the second goal is to push it to replace the original project.
Manjaro-hello is build with Python, Gtk3 and Glade.
For the moment, even if the soft works, it is not finished.
- We have to test it and fix bugs.
- Make translations to distribute it in all the world.
Please make me feedback on the initiative and say me if you are agree with the approach.
(I have nothing against manjaro-welcome developpers and contributers, they made a very good soft, I will be very happy if they are contributing to this project.)
git clone https://github.com/Huluti/manjaro-hello.git cd manjaro-hello sh launch.sh