Starting Discord & Skype on Boot, but Only in the Tray

Hi! So there's two applications, Discord and Skype, that I would like to start on boot, but be minimized to the tray on boot as well, without intervention by me in any way[I want it to be all automated]. I've searched for ways to do it, but nothing is getting me anywhere, and I don't know what to do at this point. If anyone would know of any way to do it, please let me know.

• I use GNOME 3 as my DE

For discord you can use the command line argument --start-minimized
For skype i will need to look it up

There is no tray in Gnome3 - you will need an extension.

skype/Discord - found this that could be adapted:

But probably will not work on wayland.

from Skype main window press Ctrl , to open Skype Settings

go to General

turn on this:

Automatically start Skype
Launch Skype in the background

and this:

Launch Skype in the background
Skype will start minimised in the system tray

2 Likes

I tried to use that post, but it didn't make much sense to me, and I didn't want to take any risks.
|
My GNOME3 DE does have a tray, I'm using the version of GNOME that Manjaro ships with. As via the post from @nikgnomic, I was able to solve the issue with Skype, but as I said above, I can't fix the issue for Discord still.

If you or anyone else has anything else they know might work, let me know.

As per the original link by @xircon :

you'll need to submit a bug to Discord and ask them to provide an option for launching to systray

:sob:

Ok, if that's the only option, then will do.

So the aformentioned command line argument --start-minimized did not work i guess? You never mentioned it. Because that is the built in option for that. Just asking for clarification for people that need/want this info later.

1 Like

Nope doesn't work on discord.

Yeah, it didn't work.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by