Steam requires a password to unlock my login keyring

A couple of hours ago I launched Steam, installed an update and since then it keeps asking for a password to unlock my login keyring. What should I do? If I click on "Cancel", it doesn't let my play any game. How can I solve this issue?

1 Like

Disable autologin.

It's disabled, I'm not using autologin.

If you do not use auto login - and you trust the game - why not unlock the keyring?

I asked for help because I thought it was a strange behaviour from Steam. Until today, it never required me to unlock my login keyring. I'm a bit of a newbie so I opened a topic to get some advice. :smile:

1 Like

I had the same issue -- steam started asking to unlock the default keyring. I apparently forgot the password or didn't know it in the first place so I installed seahorse and then used it to simply delete the keyring all together. Started steam again, it asked to create a new keyring, which I then used [blank] as the password and now the issue seems solved. :slightly_smiling_face:

Note, if you're going to follow what I did, make sure you backup any passwords as I believe the default keyring holds the ones for chromium-based apps.

2 Likes

thank you, I was having the same issue, and was able to easily fix it with seahorse.

since one of the monthly updates I get prompted that my keyring was not unlocked and I need to enter my password, for various apps.

I guess this is the solution but isn't it a risk to have a blank keyring password?

My understanding is that it's a risk to local system access. But the same can be said for say -- firefox stored passwords -- the implementation is different but they're still accessible by the local logged-in user. As long as you control local access then you're theoretically fine.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by